5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!
Huge congratulation to Adam Carroll-Smith on such a wonderful publication. Brought back my own memories of collecting and frustratingly failing to complete sticker albums. Expertly written to the point that I felt that I knew all the characters, footballers or otherwise. Anyway, well done Adam, now, where's my old Football 78 Book, I've got work to do!
Published 5 months ago by Violet

3.0 out of 5 stars Good dose of nostalgia
For me as a panini sticker collector in the late 80's this was a great trip down memory lane. Although the authors era was more 90's (which made me feel very old) remembering the thrill of the chase, the deal brokering and underhand behaviour of sticker collecting it was really enjoyable.

I also appreciated the author's (and some of the ex pro's) views on how...
Published 8 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good dose of nostalgia, 25 Nov 2013

I also appreciated the author's (and some of the ex pro's) views on how football has changed since the early 90's and the disillusionment with the big money / must finish fourth state the game today. This really struck a chord with me.

If I could give 3.5 stars I would but the book fell down in a few key areas for me. The writing style was very light and jokey, which is fine to a point but I felt it was a bit repetetive and sometimes detracted from the enjoyment.

The biggest frustration for me was that at each point when one of the footballers were met there was a very bridged summary on the event and what the footballer said. I really feel more space should have been given to the interview, their views and their lives since playing. It would have been unique to see the lives of these random (in some cases obscure) footballers and what they had to say. For me this was criminal.

The added aspect of relationships & friendships was fine if often it came across as a little superficial and a plot vehicle. I really feel that the book was unsure whether to be a decent piece on football or Dave Gorman-esque adventure and ended up falling between the two.

However despite all this for any fan who yearns to see football as it used to be or for any ex sticker collector then this is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Six Stickers: A Journey to Complete an Old Sticker Album (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Super funny, 12 Dec 2013
Now I'm not much of a footy fan ,but boy did I enjoy this book. I bought it on a whim and boy am I glad I did , It was extremely amusing and had some great sub plots . Buy it you won't regret it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Really funny even if you don't remember half the footballers' names!, 15 Nov 2013
A great read for a trip down football memory lane with a romantic twist. I laughed out loud many times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely humorous book -, 22 Oct 2013
M. R. Smith - See all my reviews
This is a very funny book well written and a great follow up to the author's first novel Chasing Sachin

It is full of jokes and sketches all done by the author - very talented - one to keep an eye on for the future

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 8 Nov 2013
Just finished reading this and i thoroughly enjoyed it! Carroll-Smith is very witty and i loved the fact that as well as telling a story the book listed jokes and pictures at the beginning of the chapters.

The fact that the author also highlights that he is telling a real story but also writing a book is clever. There's even a chapter in morse code!

One for lovers of football and sticker collecting as well as anyone in their late twenties, or really anyone with a sense of humor as it's an easy read that was hard to put down. Not like any other football book.

Six Stickers: A Journey to Complete an Old Sticker Album
Six Stickers: A Journey to Complete an Old Sticker Album by Adam Carroll-Smith (Hardcover - 14 Oct 2013)
13.49