on 5 February 2014
I order several books a week on Amazon and this will actually be the first book I have ever returned.

Firstly, it is very small (much smaller than I anticipated). It is also widely spaced and in a large font so the actual amount of information inside is extremely limited. With it sitting on the desk in front of me now, in between the large stick drawings of muffins and bits of leaf I would estimate this is no more than five or six pages of A4 text if it was laid out in a more concise manner and minus all the irrelevant web addresses (but I will come onto those in a bit).

The actual information provided is EXTREMELY BASIC. I am actually angry that I have even paid for a book of this nonsense to be sent out to me. Here are a couple of examples;

- Staff section recommends approaching ACTING SCHOOLS as potential employees
- Food allergies section advises you to ring 999 if someone stops breathing following eating your food.
- If you can't drive but need to deliver things, you will need a driving licence according to one section.
- Checklist to attend a farmer's market includes that you will need to have petrol in your car and your tyres pumped up.

The list goes on - the entire book is over simplified and patronising. If you can't remember to fill your car with petrol before attending a market then should you really be in business?

Equally irritating is that at the end of each and every section there is a large list of web links, normally to completely irrelevant places (for example Good Housekeeping Magazine and HMRC (twice)). A two second google search would bring up more information than this, and google is FREE.

Large segments of the already limited text are devoted to common sense knowledge - for example:
- you can buy items for your kitchen on ebay
- if you borrow money from family you need to agree to pay it back
- you can purchase shelving from DIY store.
- Christmas Day is on December 25th.

Honestly - save your money.

I was expecting a book specifically about the food business and details of food production to end consumer along with how this might integrate into a small business. Instead, I got a substandard book full of nonsense most of which I could have got for FREE from HMRC's website or Business Link's basic business guides. So much of the information was completely generic.

Just a couple more nuggets from this awful book just in case you were still deliberating over whether or not to purchase it;
- You will need to empty the rubbish out of the bin each day
- If you need more light and the light you have does not reach you can use an extension cord.

I can't read any more of this utter drivel and I will be sending this back to Amazon tomorrow. What a waste of money.
on 29 September 2015
Good to inspire if not done this before. Too basic for my needs.
on 14 August 2014
As someone looking to set up their first business (in the food industry) I found this book extremely useful. I'm still working through it but its insightful, to the point and easy to follow.
on 19 July 2014
informative. easy to read. arrived quickly
on 5 November 2014