5.0 out of 5 stars A real diary of an ordinary man describing the first weeks of WWI., 17 April 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Line of Fire: Diary of an Unknown Soldier August - September 1914 (Paperback)
It's amazing that this is true: a man, Barroux, happened to spot rubbish being thrown out of a house for clearing. In that pile was a diary from World War I. Stunning isn't it?

And this book is that diary. Barroux's childlike pictures for me capture the anonymous soldier's innocent outlook as he signs up and heads out to the coming war. The soldier's words are sparse - he's not a Wilfred Owen - but you constantly feel what he was feeling. And that is mainly exhaustion. He describes his marches, night watches, seeing victims of war fleeing. And this soldier is tired. You also see the war coming ever closer to him. First the rumour of it. Then the sound. Then evidence of bullet holes and women and children, to dismembered limbs and bombed-out towns and finally to conflict.

Through very few words we see war made real for an ordinary married man, who wants rest and home.

It's moving in its slightness.

Meant as a children's book and introduced by Michael Morpurgo it could be read by a confident 9+ year old, though I would warn parents/ teachers of a couple of disturbing images and one mention of "ladies of ill repute".

Could be used for school topics on WWI.

The end, so abrupt as its author left off writing does leave you wondering just what happened. As it should...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 3 April 2014
I bought this for my 13 year old son and I also read it. We both thought it was an amazing book. The illustrations are incredible and the diary was very emotional. I was in tears at one point. I would definitely recommend this book for all ages....very thought provoking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and powerful, 8 Mar 2014
There are lots of different books around about WW1 at the moment, but this is really special. Barroux apparently came across the diary of a soldier from the war, completely by chance, and has illustrated the man's words in sepia pen and ink in this graphic novel. The result is extraordinary - the man's words speak to us very clearly, and the illustrations add an intensity of emotion that's missing from his very matter of fact diary entries. Beautiful to look at, and an extraordinary testament to the experiences of ordinary men in the war. I can't recommend this highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thought provoking, 23 Feb 2014
Liam Oxford (London) - See all my reviews
I know this book is aimed at children, but I'm not a child (by any means) and I loved it.

Very poignant and thought provoking - we will never know who the Author of the original diary was, or what ever happened to him.

I especially liked the illustrations, added to the whole atmosphere of the book.

Treat yourself to this, enjoy it on a Gloomy Sunday afternoon, as I did, or at any other time really.

Line of Fire: Diary of an Unknown Soldier August - September 1914