5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Feb 2014
Amazon Customer "MjD" (Edinburgh, Scotland. { Kobe, Japan. Saipan. Alabama.}) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Empire (Hardcover)
Jon Tonks - Empire. This collection of photographs from the last remaining outposts of the British Empire (St. Helena, The Falklands, Tristan da Cunha and Ascension) are amazingly evocative in their simplicity. The stories of the places and particularly the inhabitants of these islands were fascinating. Mr. Tonks was incredibly fortunate to visit these last outposts and has created a wonderful collection of images.

5.0 out of 5 stars eliagic and nostalic, superb photos. I loved it., 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: Empire (Hardcover)
A superb book and very thought provoking. It catches a glimpse of a world I thought had disappeared. Just great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 30 Mar 2014
Mr. J. P. Grove "jamesgrove" (Halesowen, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Empire (Hardcover)
Brilliantly captured images from across the British Empire. I would love to visit some of these remote but wholly British places. Jon has spent a great deal of time selecting just the right images for this book, and just the right captions to go with them, its just a shame that Amazon are out of stock and an even greater shame that others are trying to profiteer on the back of it. I was fortunate to buy the book on the day of release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous visual record of the South Atlantic OT's., 3 April 2014
Mark Stevenson (Aberdeen, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Empire (Hardcover)
A great insight into life in the British overseas territories. Tonk's has captured some truly incredible images that reflect more than the scene presented. Great purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Crafted Journey into Forgotten Lands, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Empire (Hardcover)
I found myself completely immersed in each island and the quiet and intriguing stories that are told through Jon's photographs.

There's a strong narrative throughout and I love the attention to detail and the way he's ordered and captioned the images. He's tackled an interesting subject (Britain's forgotten outposts) with sensitivity, poise and just the right amount of quirkiness. You feel like you're walking around these strange lands alongside him. As other reviewers have rightly pointed out, there's a wonderful sense of nostalgia. You really get the sense that you're entering a world that time forgot.

Design/production-wise this is without doubt one of the most beautifully crafted books I own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a buy and interesting perspective on the UK, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Empire (Hardcover)
I purchased this in July 2014 and received the "second edition" print of the book in hardcopy. There are first edition copies being sold for near £100 so very pleased a second print run was ordered.

Now the book itself gives an interesting insight to the other parts of the British Isles we do not normally see and a reminder of the Napoleonic wars as well, see the book for the connection, took me back to my school boy history days!

A careful flick through the pages from start to finish takes about 30 - 45 mins depending on how quick you turn the pages. I think the RRP around £30 is about right, cheaper from Amazon and other suppliers, but would not pay £100 for one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning photographs, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Empire (Hardcover)
I was weary of buying this book when I'd read that Martin Parr had taken an interest in this project. Unlike Parr's work however, Tonks' photographs are less manipulative, and paint a much more flattering image of the British Empire than one might expect. Ultimately, the experience I have when viewing the photographs in this book is a positive one. The book is bound and printed to the highest standard and is a book I highly cherish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Island Addict!, 3 April 2014
Ann2shoes (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Empire (Hardcover)
I loved this book - anything about islands is good for me and anything about remote islands is even better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Sep 2014
S. Wolff (London, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Empire (Hardcover)
A very beautifully put together book. I will enjoy this one for many years.

Empire
Empire by Jon Tonks (Hardcover - 1 Jun 2014)