5.0 out of 5 stars A Future Classic!
Published 17 months ago by Craig Finn

2.0 out of 5 stars Instinctive solution..?
I bought this book hoping that it may provide some new and interesting ideas for exercises - it didn't!
Instead it just regurgitated the same obvious information over and over.
Great - if you didn't realise that we moving further away from our natural heritage
Not so great - if you did..?!
More of an blog idea - than a book!
Sorry.
Published 8 months ago by J. Anderson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Future Classic!, 4 July 2013
This review is from: Instinctive Fitness: A re-evolutionary approach to diet and exercise (Paperback)
I first came across Oliver's work via a Kindle copy of the original book and leapt at the chance to purchase a hard copy of this 2nd edition. I class myself as reasonably well read in the area's of training and nutrition, with a training history of 25+ years and as a current mature student studying for a Bsc in Sports Coaching & Performance. Oliver avoids the "cultish" side of Paleo that i fear (personally) has been hijacked by the Crossfit Community, his is a common sense approach that sets you up for a lifelong habit of eating for optimal health based on well researched fact.

His approach to training is equally fresh, not so much re-inventing the wheel, but taking the reader back to a time when "fitness was fun" completely avoiding the commercialised "this is my new fad routine, buy it" approach of so many in the fitness industry. Again it is his integrated approach that makes it part of a lifestyle choice that will reap you rewards in the long term and not just be the quick fix that so many in the industry offer.

I can think of no better endorsement for this book than to say that if i was faced with the dilemma of choosing to keep just 2 books from my collection of several hundred including many of the "classics" in the fields, then it would be Dan John's Never Let Go for it's strength input and Instinctive Fitness for it's nutritional advice and fitness/lifestyle components, I really can't give any higher recommendation than that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Stuff, 6 Oct 2013
This book is for anyone who is fed up with trying to lose or maintain weight with eating less and exercising more.

If you are fed up with the monotony of the gym, or having to force yourself to go out for a jog, or any exercise that you are just not enjoying, this book is for you.

If you are into eating less and exercising more and you are getting nowhere, this book is for you.

If you still believe that the current government advice on how to lose weight and keep fit, this book will open your eyes to the truth.

I do a lot of research and read a lot of books on the subject of Weight Management. I currently have over 60 on my shelf (not the usual diet books) and this is one of the top five.

Excellent reading, even though there are a few typeing errrors, but not enough to spoil the message.

These authors deserve more publicity on Amazon and I hope that the book really takes off. I am going to do a review on my website I feel so strongly about their message.

Definetly buy this!

5.0 out of 5 stars really good easy-to-read book, 5 Oct 2013
A really informative, but easy to read, written by an approachable amd friendly chap. Comprehensive fitness stuff, the only "exercise" book you'll ever need. And, if everyone took notice of the eating stuff too, there wouldn't be anything like the obesity problems around.

You'll need a smaller bookshelf now - chuck out ALL your old dieting books, and just buy this and The Harcombe Diet 3-Step Plan and you'll be set up for life! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars No nonsense, 30 April 2013
I don't often write reviews, but I think Oliver Selway has really hit the nail on the head with this book! I've read a lot of books on similar topics and find them either fairly vapid, evangelical ('it's a miracle cure!!') or fundamentalist ('eat lard and you'll live forever, eat a single peanut and you'll die a horrible death, I tell you!')? What Selway does is set out some guiding principles in a no nonsense fashion and says "try it for yourself and see if it works... You be the judge'. The book works well on a beginners level and gives enough information to start making some positive lifestyle choices, without going over the top. However, as a 'seasoned enthusiast' it also worked well for me giving a clear, succinct guide to what's really important, and reminds you that there's more to 'health' than omega 3:6 ratios. The paleo / primal community has a tendency to over complicate things, and Selway gets the balance right with frequent referencing for those who want to read further and useful additions on the website.

Overall, a great (British) addition to the evolutionary health literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read ., 5 May 2013
At last a UK book that rivals books by mark sissons and rob wolf. Written in an easy to understand way the authors walk you though an achievable lifestyle which only requires effort by the reader to attain. I myself lost half a stone just by following the 30 day challenge. Well researched , easy to follow and written for the uk market.

5.0 out of 5 stars A near perfect book, 1 Dec 2013
Mr. C. McNulty (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I've been researching and personally experimenting with diet and exercise for 6 years, and am happy to report that Oliver's book is spot on. This book pretty much replaces my whole book shelf on health, diet and exercise. Highly recommended?

5.0 out of 5 stars Intuitive....Instinctive....Incredible, 8 Nov 2013
B. Hunt "Gelat0" (UK) - See all my reviews
Having read Oliver's first book I was really interested to read this one. It didn't fail to disappoint! I love the way he writes - it is clear, concise and full of information. I love reading books by people in my industry and this will be one I recommend - it is no nonsense, backed by science and full of research. I can't wait for the next one already! Nice work Oliver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing stuff, 23 Sep 2013
I'd done some research and had dabbled with Paleo before but it always seemed so restrictive and just didn't go well with my lifestyle. I'd been recommended this book some time ago but hadn't really looked at it, then I got diagnosed with Type I diabetes. I spent much of the first year getting back on track following the NHS advice and doing pretty good and then gave the book a read. Since the (7 weeks) I'm feeling pretty good, still have some joint pain and still have some stomach issues but I very rarely get hungry and when I do it is a normal hunger rather than the insulin induced "starving must eat right now" feeling that insulin users know so well.

My insulin needs have at least halved, my blood glucose control has gone from maybe 10% high and 10% low to never high and very rarely low. Essentially it has meant I can get on with things without thinking about diabetes a bit more. I do constantly have to think about food though but that is a nice trade off.

My waist size is now what it was 20 years ago. I am able to play a round of golf and then instead of feeling tired and slump in front of the TV I'll go out and enjoy a bike ride.

I really am everything the book says I should be, Leaner, stronger, happier and fitter.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first 'diet book' I have managed to read to the end., 13 Aug 2013
I will let the other reviewers go into detail about how brilliantly the book is written, or how easily the authors get to the point of what is good eating, exercise and lifestyle and what is not.

All I can really say is that Instinctive Fitness is the first diet-type of book I have read from cover to cover in 47 years. Normally I become bored or frustrated by the highbrow attitudes of the author, or the impossible rules to follow. Not in this case. I was fascinated by every chapter and couldn't read it fast enough!

And... One thing I simply cannot ignore is that I am FINALLY satisfied after eating. No cravings. No binges. I am convinced by the book's principles because they have finally seemed to cure my lifelong issues with food.

I finally understand why I often crave fat and why I can't stick to low fat diets for long.

It's a very good read and I am grateful to have stumbled upon it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic life changing read - Everyone should read it., 8 Dec 2013
pinkliverbird (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Having been involved in the health and fitness industry for some time now, this book is just what I've been waiting for. My beliefs in what a healthy diet is, have always contridicted todays advice on healthy eating that the majority of people accept so willingly. Not only does it confirm what I've been thinking all along, but answers many, many questions that I couldn't quite find the answers to in relation to my opinions on diet and exercise. It puts everything into perspective, finally finding those missing pieces of the jigsaw.
I've always been one of those people who questions everything, particularly when governments and big multi-national companies/industries are involved. Always making enquiries of my own and researching as much as I can before I can either believe in the so-called facts and what is put before me, or discover what really lies beneath the subject in question, and believe me diet and nutrition is something I've done quite a bit of research on.
This book is a must for everyone. It is well written in a way that gives a full explanation on why we should avoid certain foods that are such a major part of our diet today, and why we should be consuming more vegetables, fresh meat and fruit. The author explains the body's response to exercise, where and why many people go wrong, and gives advice and suggestions as to how to live an active life that doesn't require spending many hours a week involving specific exercises and routines. It is, as the book is titled, instictive fitness. The book is well written and is in no way tedious in the detailed explanations of diet and exercise. In fact, it is quite the opposite - extremely informative, very interesting and a joy to read.
I'm at present reading another book - Nutrition And Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price. This book was written back in the 1930's and is also highly recommended particularly if you find Instictive Fitness an interesting read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›