5.0 out of 5 stars The results speak for themselves
I started this 'diet' 14 weeks ago as my parents were raving on about it. I had already cut down on caffeine prior to the 5 day detox (I actually did 10 days detox because I was finding it quite easy) During the detox I did have some headaches due to caffeine withdrawal but I expected this and it didn't put me off.

Phase 2 was full of fantastic foods that I'd...
Published on 11 May 2010 by M. Cooke

2.0 out of 5 stars Caused Acid buildup in Joints
I want to be fair to this diet because i believe it could work for some people.

The first thing most people will want to know is: Does it make you lose weight? And the answer is a definite Yes, for myself and my husband.

The main problem i had with the diet, is that it caused painful acid build up in my joints, despite the fact that i ate allot of...
Published on 20 Mar 2010 by M. Masters

5.0 out of 5 stars The results speak for themselves, 11 May 2010
M. Cooke (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews

Phase 2 was full of fantastic foods that I'd never have dreamed were healthy - Who would have thought that fat does not make you fat!!!

14 weeks in I have lost 38lbs in weight and over 4 inches off my waist!

It is about time someone took the govt to task about this reduced calorie / reduced fat nonsense they are peddling.

I have never felt healthier in all my adult life and I no longer crave carbs!

Big thanks to Zoe Harcombe for all her research and beautifully easy way of explaining complex scientific principles!

5.0 out of 5 stars Harcombe Diet Book Reveiw, 27 July 2010
This has been one of my best purchases this year, i started Monday 19th july and by Monday 26th i had lost near 3/4 of a stone! loving it thank you

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest Review - From a mans perspective., 23 Nov 2010
GOOD NEWS GUYS AND GALS, IT WORKS:
BUT ITS TOUGH AT FIRST AND YOU HAVE TO STICK AT IT.!!!! WILLPOWER IS REQUIRED.

Firstly, this book worked for me.
I should tell you that i also work out 3 days a week, i dont take any suppliments except a multi vitamin, and i understand diet and nutrition to a resonably high degree and from years of trying just about every trick in the book over the years as part of my training, (and failing)

In truth, If you excercise in conjunction with this diet, the weight will fly off.
Lets put it like this, on day 1 of this diet. i was 17 stone, muscular but with frankly too much fat on me, at day 6, i was 16 stone, thats 14lbs of fat gone, and i didnt change my training at all.
Now, after 4 weeks im a very lean 15.5 stone, with great definition and my muscle is not wasting away.

Bare this in mind. this diet is tough!! Phase 1 is frankly a killer, i really mean that.
If your used to junk, sugar and fats, your going to feel like your stomach is knawing itself to death, and you will (as Zoe says) feel pretty rubbish for a few days, day 3 seems to be the worst (you will see what i mean)
But the good news is, you dont have to be hungry because you can eat as much as you like off the "allowed list"

I must have eaten 2 bags of carrotts (as "crudites", specified in the book as snakcs), in week 1.

If you are not a gym goer, this diet will still work. but let me explain why in simple terms.
The reason this diet works is, that there is very little if any atall carbs in phase 1, this is the "miracle" phase of the diet where the most weight is lost quickest.

The science:
Coming from a bodybuilding angle,there are certain things people should know about losing weight, especially women, as they are the most easily conned by the industry.

1)If you dont eat carbs, you will lose weight,its as simple as that, for the reason Zoe highlights regarding insulin, Carbs make insulin, excess insulin is stored as fat, hence insulin is called the "fattening hormone".
This is all totally true.

2)Also guys, a tip not shared in the book, is avoiding wheat,
Wheat, although a good part of any diet and very wholesome, is a major cause of water retention in the body, any bodybuilder knows that in order to shed excess water retention and fat, dont eat wheat products or Carbs.

This means no:

Pasta - all kinds
Bread - all kinds
Potatoes - all kinds
Beer- all kinds

Basically anything with wheat or carbs in, except the naturally occurring carbs found (as Zoe says) in meats and anything off the "allowed list"

WHATS DIFFERENT ABOUT ZOES BOOK?
Zoe writes the meal plans out for you, so you dont have to think, it also makes shopping easy, very easy, as you can plan in advance and orgabise your budget, and the great thing is that its also geared for people who dont make plans, and as long as you stick to the principals.

Guys,. it works, wether you train, or not, it will work.,

STICK TO IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is the Answer to Weight Problems!, 15 Feb 2013
Mrs. T. J. Kimber "Tess" (Isle of Wight) - See all my reviews
I love this diet and this book. This makes perfect, perfect sense. Stop eating processed litter that so impacts on everyone's insulin, stop eating sugar and go back to eating as we used to - unprocessed meat (preferably not bute filled HORSE!) veg, salad and low carb fruit, plus natural yoghurt - not low fat - and 50g porridge oats or 50g brown rice.
Easy, WORKS and no hunger. I've tried them all so I know a winner when I find it.
Unless you are obese, I suppose, weigh loss in Phase 1 is a bit more modest than claimed but I still lost 5lbs and never had one tummy rumble. Perfectly easy to do and I will NEVER eat another processed item again. In fact I feel quite sick going round the supermarkets now and seeing all the rubbish on the shelves, a lot passed off as healthy!
Thank you Zoe and Andy for bringing this diet to us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it but requires a bit of effort in the early days, 12 Feb 2013
L. Josey - See all my reviews
I'm not usually a leaver of feedback but had to leave a review of this, now in my 5th week.

To start, you do a 5 day phase 1 which basically involves cutting out wheat, dairy, sugar and everything processed. Yes, it is a bit restrictive but there are still loads and loads you can eat. Breakfast could be eggs and bacon, omlettes, or porridge. Lunches and dinners are meat and veg or meat and salads. For example one day for me was - bacon and egg for breakfast, lunch of a pile of homemade coleslaw with chicken breasts and chilli olive oil, dinner of steak and lots of buttered roast veg.

the first day can give you a massive headache, lethargy, cold like symptoms, aching legs etc, specially if you were a big caffiene drinker! But it does go and you come out of the other side feeling so much better.

Phase 2 is the phase for weight loss. You can introduce back in the food groups taken away in the first phase. But slowly. My first was milk so i could have it in my tea and coffee (decaf of course). Then was cheese because it massively made a difference to recipes and broadening food options. The idea is not to mix fats and carbs, so a fat meal could be meat and veg with butter or oil, a carb meal could be a jacket potato with fat free cottage cheese, or ratatouie etc etc.

it all sounds complicated and restrictive, but actually it's not. I thought i'd miss big bowls of pasta and buttered toast, but i actually don't at all. in fact, most of meals are what's called 'fat meals'.

i'm never hungry between meals, eat really well and feel great.

Tips -
you have to want to do it
you have to be prepared to put a bit of effort in
you have to be prepared to give your body time to adjust to the new way of eating
register with the diet club where there are loads of tips, recipes and an enormous amoutn of support

it's been 5 weeks for me now and i've lost 13lbs. easily. i have butter with most things, oil over salads and roast veg, actually eat like a horse and no calorie counting, points etc etc.

I'd recommend anyone who values what they put inside them to go for it - eat natural and lose weight for sure!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good low carb option for vegetarians, 18 July 2012
This review is from: The Harcombe Diet: Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight (Paperback)
Another reviewer said that there's no such thing as a fat vegetarian. Wrong. After low carbing 6 stone off on Atkins, I became veggie, started eating grains and gained it all back and then some. I'm by no means alone. This book was recommended to my by my sister as a way to (realistically) combine vegetarianism with low carb. I've lost 17lbs in a month, and I'm still losing fast despite eating the same number of calories as before.

Harcombe differs from Atkins in that the author emphasises the need to control cravings. (She is very anti-sugar, and the evidence to support that outlook is abundant.) Cutting out caffeine, sugar, root veg and wheat has done wonders for my body, my mood and my energy levels. I no longer eat those foods. I never feel the itch to go buy a processed snack bar. In fact, I'm rarely hungry at all, and I enjoy fresh vegetables more than I ever have in my life. On that basis, I like the Harcombe approach over alternative low carb plans. I still find I need to count carbs, but the Harcombe way (i.e. healthy eating and cutting out rubbish) makes this a lot easier.

Other reviewers have noted that Zoe Harcombe has not experienced what it's like to be overweight or obese, and if you case your eye over her tweets, you'll find her attitude towards fat people is occasionally a little questionable. And yes, there really is a lot of repetition in this book (The Obesity Epidemic: What Caused It? How Can We Stop It? is a better example of her work). But don't let this put you off. You will feel awful as the caffeine leaves your system, but stick with it for a few weeks if you really care about your health. Despite its flaws, this fantastic way of eating - something I believe everyone can benefit from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 24 May 2012
I have been following this eating plan for a year now and have lost 6 stone...the results speak for itself. Well written book, easy to understand and makes total sense!
This is the ONLY diet I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars I feel FANTASTIC!, 2 Dec 2011
I bought this book a good while ago but I needed to get my head around cutting out caffeine and sugars (and bread). Ive consumed these things all my life, I knew it was going to be tough. I read the book from front to back and never once did I feel like rushing into the diet because the information was so helpful and interesting. Normally, Id dive straight in and not understand the full implications of such a radical diet change.

I started Phase 1 on Monday 28th November and really enjoyed exploring ways I could use the "allowed" foods and make myself delicious meals. Initially, I thought it was going to be bland and tasteless but NO! First of all, Butternut Squash curry, made with chopped tomatoes and creamed coconut was HEAVEN......lest we forget to 50g of brown rice (which, actually, tastes really scrummy). Ive enjoyed Egg and Bacon for breakfast, tuna salad for lunch, yoghurt dressings, tomato soup made from tinned tomatoes and vegetables, olives for snacking and plenty of water. The thought that I was eating clean, unprocessed cr*p food was angelic. In my mind I felt smug but in truth, the first 4 days were hard because of the withdrawal of all the old stuff that made me feel sluggish. I admit, I felt a bit ill but I was not going to be beaten. Detox was never going to be kind, was it?

Then came today, 2nd Dec. Day 5. WOW - Ive lost 8lbs and 4 inches off my tummy (I was rather bloated before!). I feel so alert and active with no reason to feel like I need a nap or a rest. I feel I could take on the world. And all the while filling myself up with clean, tasty food. I dont miss tea or coffee or cakes or white bread or chocolate. It has somehow killed my sweet pallet and my urge to reach out for a slice of white bread. Zoe Harcombe makes you realise what is GOOD for you and what is BAD (try reading the ingredients off the back of a Weight Watchers meal. Usually over 50 ADDED ingredients - thats not a good sign is it? You dont have any added ingredients on this diet save for herbs and spices). Its enough to make you baulk when I think of what I was feeding my body before.

Phase 2 starts tomorrow (or I could extend phase 1, if I wanted). Im looking forward to re-introducing clean carbs like potatoes and oats plus fruit but would like to think I could go back to Phase 1 to boost my body whenever I feel the need.

You should definitely try this diet and yes, christmas is around the corner so im gearing up for 2 days off but then thats what Phase 3 of the diet allows you to do........

READ THIS BOOK and start to feel good in yourself again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Diet for Life, 21 Sep 2011
Lizzi S (Brentwood, UK) - See all my reviews
I'd never followed any diet until someone told me about this one. I bought the book and read it about 20 times in a row. Everything in it made sense, it was based on facts, not myths and Zoe recommends eating real food, not processed, which was something I'd always believed in. After one week I lost half the weight I wanted to. I discovered that I had some intolerances and when I cut out eating these foods, my health improved. I no longer had bloating, itching, rashes, sinusitis and palpatations. I have now lost one and a half a stone and eat more than I ever ate before. My skin and hair are glowing, I am bouncing with energy and I get so many compliments about how young I look. I've been eating this way now for over a year and can safely say that this is the way I'll eat for the rest of my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great update, 4 Aug 2011
Kate (South Wales) - See all my reviews
If you thought the original book was great, this update is even better. The basic principles remain the same - losing weight is not about eat less, do more but eat naturally, move naturally.
With additional information about why the calorie theory is wrong and a much clearer Q&A section, this book is worth getting even if you already own the original book and if you don't it will open up a much better way to take control of your eating & your weight.

The Harcombe Diet: Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight