Zoe Harcombe demolishes our current wrong diet advice piece by piece in a thorough and scientific way that is still accessible to the lay person. This book would have to make even the most hardened sceptic think twice about the validity of the current public advice being given.
Published on 6 Nov 2010 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Very important message but strong emotions blinker
The message this book offers - repeatedly - is vital. She backs it with a tremendous amount of research. But the book suffers badly in my view on two counts.

1. It would hugely benefit from heavy editing. She repeats excessively, and delves into excessive detail that adds precious little to her arguments excess in terms of weight of evidence.

2. Not...
Published on 28 May 2011 by Mr. N. Moffatt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A definate must read for anyone interested in health and nutrition, 6 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Obesity Epidemic: What Caused It? How Can We Stop It? (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastically informative book, 22 Jan 2011
Marisa Peer "marisa peer" (London England) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastically informative book and should be required reading for every dietician, nutritionist and everyone who works with overweight people. Zoe should be running the NHS department for obesity she would save the country a fortune.

It is so refreshing to find another nutritionist who knows that low calorie diets are wrong (and downright cruel) and that a high carbohydrate low fat diet doesn't work and makes us fatter in the long term.

Zoe's research is painstaking and very impressive. As our governments current answer to the obesity crisis is to recommend gastric banding (at a cost to the NHS of 200million plus per year, and a less than 50% success rate )maybe they could read Zoes book first and find something to help people that actually works at a fraction of the cost.

Marisa Peer nutritionist and author of You Can Be Thin

5.0 out of 5 stars This book may change your life., 4 Jun 2011
I have a genetic illness not yet fully diagnosed, which includes hypothyroidism and insulin resistance. I bought this book because no diet has ever worked for me and I am so heartily sick of carrying around the eight stones of excess weight that my condition has led to. I needed answers.

Now I have them and they are pretty shocking. I will be recommending this book to everyone I know, whilst also changing my eating habits as Zoe Halcombe suggests. I've ordered her diet and recipe books, too.

My daughter is also ill. This may have come in time to help ensure that she does not suffer the same fate as me. I hope so. If not, at least I know who to blame.

Thank you Zoe. Beautifully wriiten, beautifully presented.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written book that will change your view on food and dieting - a must read, 22 Nov 2010
P. Feet (Norway) - See all my reviews
I have a masters in Biology and have to admit I was a little sceptical before I started reading this book.
From reviews I knew that it would discuss many of todays dietary myths/truths that you read about almost daily in magazines, papers and in official publications:

Here are some of the myths discussed and dissected:

- Fat is bad for us
- Starchy carbohydrates should be the main building blocks of our diet
- Saturated fat causes heart disease
- We should eat more fibre
- Fruit and vegetables are the most nutritious things to eat
- You need to eat five portions of fruit and vegetables a day
- Cholesterol is a dietary enemy
- Losing weight is about calories in vs calories out
- More exercise is a cure for the obesity epidemic
- Food advisory bodies give us sound, impartial advice

The book is well written and all conclusions are firmly based on scientific data and research.
The author is credible and stays loyal to the scientific method.

The book has some very interesting conclusions and was a big eye opener to me.

I highly recommend this book for every dietitian, researcher and other person interested in any of the topics mentioned above.

A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ for anyone interested in their health!, 19 Oct 2010
Lizzi S (Brentwood, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is an amazing revelation into exposing the "myths" & "corruption" that has occured over the last 20 years or so concerning dietry advice & recommendations. The only loser in all of this is us, the human race, who have been pawns in a sick attempt for the big corporations to make more money by recommending their foods to be the healthiest, so we go out and buy more. By eating these processsed carbs instead of natural REAL foods, we have become more unhealthy & suffered more from chronic conditions like diabetes and heart disease.

If you are interested in the health of yourself or a loved one, I would recommend you to read this book before it is too late. The research has been thorough and extensive. When you realise that there has been no evidence to back up "5 a day" or "eat less, do more", then it makes you question beliefs that you have held onto your whole life. Reading this book has been a shocking but yet liberating experience. I for one will be sticking to real foods, after all, meat, eggs & vegetables got us through the first million years of our evolution, why should anyone believe that cereals & bread are better?

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital reading for all!, 1 Nov 2010
Before 1983 in this country, only 2-3% of the population were obese - now in 2010 it is 25%. How did this happen?
The current healthy eating advice from the government and other health bodies, which we have taking for granted as gospel truth, is turned on its head in this brilliantly written book by Zoe Harcombe.
Mantras such as '5 a day' and 'eat less, do more' as well as 'eat 3500 calories less to lose a pound' are ingrained in our society as are the principles of the 'eatwell' (or eatbadly) plate. Zoe has investigated the origins of these sayings and it is shocking to discover that there is no evidence that any of them have any basis in fact.
Add to this the chapter on 'conflicts of interest' and you will be amazed at who has been feeding you these myths which are making the obesity epidemic into a crisis!
For our children and future generations sake, this rise in obesity must be halted and Zoe Harcombe has found the way to do it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all fatties, 26 Feb 2011
This book should be compulsory reading for all who are overweight. The information given goes agaisn't all previous weight loss tips given Further more it really works The book is well written in language that is easily understood A valuable addition to any library of those who wish to loose it !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically clear and a real poke in the eye for the medical profession, 19 Oct 2010
This book is a fantastic and critical look at why the UK and the western world has got into the obese state it has.

The book takes the reader on a journey back to when diet research was done and then totally ignored because it didn't fit the hypothesis.

It shows the real reasons why we are getting fatter - Here's a clue, it is nothing to do with saturated fat consumption...

The book is fully referenced and explains complex scientific principles in a way that is easy to understand without oversimplifying things as to make them irrelevant.

I am a firm believer that nature knows best how to feed me and not food manufacturers; who are only really there to make a profit and this book has really backed up this belief.

I'd heartily recommend this book for anyone with any background to read - it is so accessible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight into why we're making ourselves fat, 31 Oct 2010
Kate (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This book explains in great detail why everything we think we know and are constantly being told about healthy eating is wrong.
I was horrified to read how little scientific basis there is for much of what we are told.
If you think eat less, do more will help to you lost weight you need to read this book and find out why in the long-term, it won't.
If you at all interested in nutrition and health it is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars good evidence base, 17 Oct 2011
As a nurse working within obesity services, this book has been a massive help for me when trying to explore alternatives to the current high carb low fat advice. The book by large has masses of research and adds to my thoughts that carbs play a big role in weight, cholesterol and health in general. The book reads well, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Obesity Epidemic: What Caused It? How Can We Stop It?
The Obesity Epidemic: What Caused It? How Can We Stop It? by Zoe Harcombe (Hardcover - Oct 2010)
17.65