5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, captivating and concise!
I probably shouldn't even write this review.

Why?

Because I'll end sounding like freshly recruited cultist praising the Great Old Ones.

Published on 18 Oct. 2011 by John Thin Silver

1.0 out of 5 stars AstroTurf
Be wary of a book, by an unknown, with so many four star reviews.

It's been a 'astroturfed'

Instead buy, Drayton Bird, John Caples, Andy Maslen, Joe Sugarman or Robert Cialdini.
Published on 13 Jun. 2012 by Carol Mathison

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, captivating and concise!, 18 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Copy. Righter: Become a master wordsmith and harness the copywriting secrets that will win you hearts, minds... and business (Paperback)
I probably shouldn't even write this review.

Why?

The reason for me being so insanely delighted is that I enjoyed the book immensely - both educationally and recreationally. The author wrote the whole book as it were copy, and that in turn made everything extremely easy to read. The paragraphs were short, yet loaded with interesting and informative content. Although English isn't my first language, I could read the book rather swiftly because of the light structure.

The whole book was excellent, but one part deserves a special mention for being both excellent and something I haven't quite seen elsewhere. The examples part. By far the best I've seen anywhere. Each example was carefully analysed and explained so that the reader could get a clear picture how the ad developed from a brief into a finished piece. The examples were nicely picked so that they showcased the different mediums your copy could end up being pushed through. In overall, the part was something other authors should take notes on how to do things properly.

I'd recommend this book to every fledgeling copywriter out there. There's a chance that experienced copywriters might pick up a thing or two from it as well. Even clients who brief and review copy will find this one a really useful read. Also, if I were to pick books that I'd use in teaching copywriting, this would be the first one I'd have the students to read.

Cultist ramblings aside - if you have to read one book about writing copy, pick this one. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Copywriter's Bible., 18 July 2011
This is probably the most complete book on copywriting I've got and unlike others that you read and then shelve, this one I refer back to all the time. Ok, not all the time, but pretty regularly. One of the highlights for me was the topic on coming up with concepts - not strictly to do with copywriting, but there are great approaches for thinking up juicy fresh ideas in it.

There are some really memorable writing aides in there too, like `BAM' and `SOPHIE' (you'll have to read it) and I really like `The Song Method' as a way of experimenting with writing structure.

All in all, very, very good. It favours long copy I think, but it really is the copywriter's bible. Or at the very least, the Book of Revelations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wordsmithing uncovered!, 12 July 2011
Just like the back cover says, "The best book on copywriting ever written"

There is so much great material in this book - what a pleasure to read something that lives up to the hype for once! I can't tell you how witty, clever and illuminating it is, you'll have to buy it for yourself. I knew a lot of the points in the first main section, though it was still a good refresher, but the content in the second section (called `How to write great copy') absolutely blew me away. I feel like I've just taken a degree in copywriting taught by someone who really is a `master wordsmith'. Thank you for writing this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of meaty goodness, 23 Aug. 2011
Great to read a marketing book that a) is as good as the reviews say it is b) is written by someone who actually practices what they preach (in this case, writing copy on big campaigns for big clients) and c) is full of content. Honestly, Copy. Righter. gives you more in one chapter than some books do from start to finish.

It's quite an intense read because there's so much to take in and remember. But the flow is quite logical and the writing style is very conversational. I would have liked a bigger section on structure (out of 224 pages, only 4 of them are specifically about structure) but that's just a personal thing.

Overall, this book is a real find and this is the first time I've felt moved to write a review on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Com. Pre. Hensive., 7 July 2011
Having just finished the book, I wanted to give a review which gives a bit more of an insight as to what's in it. In a word: plenty. It's split into 5 sections: how to write good copy, how to write great copy, 25 top tips, examples and appendices.

The `good copy' section covers the fundamentals of copywriting, like how to have a clear objective, understanding your audience, tone of voice and even some useful reminders for punctuation and grammar.

The `great copy' section (which is the biggest section in the book) covers style, structure, media, brands, concepts and psychology. I think most of these chapters could have become a book in their own right, they're so well covered. There are some memorable anecdotes in there too, like the psychology behind `Deal or no Deal' or when the author had to write a piece as Margaret Thatcher.

The top tips section was a useful reminder of 25 copy techniques all in one place. To give an idea of how comprehensive this book is, just one of those tips explained 20 different types of wordplay.

Then the examples section has copy written by the author, commented on by the author, which I've never really seen in a copy book before.

Finally, and surprisingly for appendices, the last section has some interesting chapters too, for copywriters and also for people who work with copywriters (like how to give feedback without sucking every last drop of life out of the work).

It was 224 pages well spent and reminded me why I wanted to be a copywriter in the first place. If it ever comes out as an e-book I might even get a copy for my Kindle too. Cheers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 11 Aug. 2011
This is a real fantastic book. It genuinely makes you stand back and think again. It's very logical and flows in a beautifully structured way. Unlike many other books in the category this book gives you useful examples that really can help you improve your approach to copy. First class. It's one of the few books that I'm going to hang onto and read over again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars book review, 26 Jun. 2012
Although I'm not a copywriter or a 'creative' and I am French!!! I really enjoyed Copy. Righter. It's a complete guide to copywriting from beginner to expert. As beautifully crafted as you would expect for a book on copywriting it kept me interested from the first page to the last (and very few business books do that!). And most important of all, it taught me a lot too...I'm off to write my next persentation!Copy. Righter: Become a master wordsmith and harness the copywriting secrets that will win you hearts, minds... and business

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY - a copywriting book that inspires me!, 15 Aug. 2011
S. Thompson "ST" (UK) - See all my reviews
I've read a lot of these types of books and this one is by far the best. Usually I get midway through them and lose the will to live - questioning how I can possibly learn anything from someone who's book-writing skills can't even hold my attention for a few pages. This is different, because the book is written in such a way that I happily sailed through it, having many a chuckle along the way. And by the time I got to the end, I felt truly inspired to put pen to paper and write good copy of my own. In fact I'd written my first ever blog within a couple of hours of putting the book down, using a lot of the tips and style suggested in it. A fantastic read that manages to be both hilarious and full of serious insights at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can teach an old dog new tricks, 15 July 2011
D. Hudson - See all my reviews
I've been working in the marketing industry for nearly twenty years now and was getting a bit long in the tooth and jaded. Getting the same old briefs, churning out the same old copy. Sometimes you need a kick up the backside to look at things from a different angle and this book helps you do exactly that. Sidestep the obvious and look for truly creative solutions. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful and inspiring book on copyrighting, 27 May 2013
Copyrighting.

When I had to write new content for my website I went and bought a stack of books from Amazon on "how to write copy that sells'.
Without a doubt Ian Atkinson's 'Copy Righter' was the best hands down.

Cleanly written, humorously engaging and a book you'll revert back to again and again.

I'm not going to write an in-depth review because I've already 'thumbed up' the four and five star reviews below that sing the praises of Copy Righter.

What I will say is that Ian's approach has a style well suited to the UK market. This was a big bonus for me because the other books in my pile were largely written by Americans with a slightly 'over the top', dare I say 'aggressive/gimmicky' sales pitchy style.

Copy Righter was one of the higher priced books on this subject but I've easily made far more money that it cost by following its simple strategies.

Buy it.