5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed myself insensible
Published on 25 Oct. 2011 by G. Darroch

1.0 out of 5 stars Puff and Predictability
Salt have a reputation for quality publishing, and on the strength of this,and intriguing blurbs of the contents of this book, I ordered it. What a disappointment! The editing is extremely poor, and the proof-reader has missed a plethora of irritating errors that underline the overall impression of a book rushed in both writing and production. The mis-spelling of...
Published on 18 Dec. 2011 by Martha

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed myself insensible, 25 Oct. 2011
G. Darroch (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens (Paperback)
Not just aliens, but ghosts, secret agents and even a few down-at-heel zombies populate Jon Pinnock's uproarious sequel to Miss Austen's demure original. It's a much more difficult trick to pull off than it looks, but don't be deceived by the slapstick tone and snappy writing style. Beneath the constant stream of jokes, spoof-Regency dialogue and pop-culture references burns a fiendishly clever plotting mechanism (just count how many story strands are going on in some places). If Peter Cook and Douglas Adams had ever got the chance to collaborate on an episode of The Simpsons, the outcome might have been half as good as this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tentacles and Aliens and Muslin, Oh My!, 24 Oct. 2011
Ms J. Travers - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens (Paperback)
What can I say about this book? I approached it with fear and trepidation, expecting it to be every bit as awful as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance-now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem! (Quirk Classics) (which was an interesting conceit, but has a terrible execution! The prequel Dawn of the Dreadfuls (Quirk Classics): Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was considerably better.]

How wrong was I? Very, that's how. I never expected to find another human being with similar interests in both the works of Jane Austen and popular culture, but Pinnock obviously is such a person. I laughed out loud at lines like "the truth is out there, but it is not yet universally acknowledged" and at references to HP Lovecraft, The Fast Show, the X-Files, and any number of others.

This novel is not just a line of gags one after the other, though; it's well plotted and thought out, pacy and full of twists. I read it quickly, enjoyed it to the end and will probably have to re-read it soon, to make sure I didn't miss any of the references... The nerd in me would never live that down!

Highly recommended for nerds and neo-Georgians alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Antidote to the Janeites, 7 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens (Paperback)
I am not a fan of Jane Austen so when I saw what I thought was 'another' spin off, I groaned. But how wrong I was, dear reader. From the opening page I was laughing at the quips, the literary allusions and the references to popular culture.It has everything the Jane Austen fan looks for in her work: summer balls, Regency bucks, fair maidens, stately homes, dashing heroes in red coats and . . . tentacles. Yes, that's right - tentacles. For your worst fears will be confirmed when you learn the truth about Darcy, Lady Katherine and what hovers over the magnificent Rosings. I won't say any more because it was discovering each twist, turn and lampooned character that made this book for me. All I will say is, if you've read and enjoyed Sebastian Faulks's PISTACHE then Mrs Darcy versus the Aliens is the book for you. I only hope the book lives up to its Bond-like foot note: Mrs Darcy will return . . . in Mrs Darcy versus The Monster. I can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it from start to finish, 2 Sept. 2011
Miss K.L.Davies (West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens (Paperback)
Wow - as an avid kindle owner it is now rare for me to buy a real book (despite having a houseful) and the only complaint I have about this book is it wasn't available on kindle BUT this is one I have already read twice despite only buying it last week. There are jokes galore on each page but each character stands on it own and so I was turning pages to say what happens and sniggering at the jokes as they hit me relentlessly. It was almost as though it was a book with a secrets to share - song lyrics, film references, artists, poets - each were recognisable and didn't detract from the story itself - more like a comment from a mate in the pub that made you snort in a very un ladylike manner. It's true. Jon Pinnock made me snort and I just thankful I was not in public whilst reading this book. I am on tentacles waiting for the sequel and the only downside for me is that this is the first book by the author - how much more satisfying it would be to find he has a back catalogue I can purchase merrily and indulge over the weekend. so please write quickly Mr Pinnock and produce the next instalment - as I'm dying to know what happens next. Oh, and I have re-named our sat nav Annie, in your honour. (and this is the first review I've ever done despite reading at least 7 or 8 books a week - this book is THAT good!!!) And yes, I meant to say tentacles!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitzwilliam Darcy's Tentacles, 30 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens (Paperback)
Mrs Darcy versus the Aliens is a very silly and entertaining book. Superbly written by Jonathan Pinnock, the humour of the original characters from Pride & Prejudice is retained, and then enhanced. Mr Pinnock never misses the opportunity for humour - some obvious, some less so. To fully appreciate it, a working knowledge of literature, pop music of the last 45 - 50 years, and the film and TV adaptations of Pride & Prejudice - particularly the actors' names - is of benefit. In fact, a knowledge of several other movies and a touch of history may assist. Having said that, there's enough humour in this book to satisfy most people who aren't blessed such knowledge.

The most unusual thing about the style of writing is that Mrs Darcy was originally written a web-serial, so it is split into short sections. It shouldn't really work a coherent novel but it does, very well. These short sections make it an ideal book for the commuter: you'll always find a handy stopping point somewhere near you bus/train/tube stop.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes a good laugh.

4.0 out of 5 stars Madcap Madness, 19 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens (Paperback)
A humorous follow up to Jane Austen's 'Pride & Prejudice' but then you probably already know that. A fun, madcap read with aliens (duh!), tentacles, ghosts, alien babies and dirigibles (one of my favourite words), some of the humour had me laughing aloud and some groaning. Dude! Of course, I then had to relay the humorous bits to whoever was in the vicinity.

An enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mister Darcy!, 17 May 2012
G. Whalley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens (Paperback)
Like other reviewers of this book I laughed out loud at several points in this book, a witty Regency romp which references pop culture beautifully (No more zombies please Ms Austen) which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was recommended to me by a good friend to whom I am now eternally grateful. I look forward to the further adventures of Mrs Darcy, and indeed reading the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh? I nearly got slapped, 9 Oct. 2011
R. B. Harkess "Rob H" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens (Paperback)
This book will make people look at you. It will make you make a fool of yourself in public places. Your life-partner will ban you from reading this book at bedtime. You will be glared at on public transport.

This is one of the funniest books I have ever read. It is a book that makes you laugh out loud, uncontrollably. Consistently.

Unusually for outright comedic novels, there is actually a storyline rather than just a skeleton on which to hang the jokes. There are aliens, they are trying to take over the world, and Mrs Elizabeth Darcy is at the middle the effort to prevent this happening. That the aliens are shape shifters serves to throw confusion into the bona fides of some of the rest of the cast, and to top it off there are strong hints of temporal anomalies.

The greatest appeal of the book, though, is undoubtedly the humour; at times delicate, at others brutish, Pinnock even makes use of the delayed punchline; dropping an amusing seed, then slapping you with a guffaw when you had almost forgotten it. To me, this was a blend of Douglas Adams and Jasper Fforde.

Thoroughly recommend it if you don't mind standing out in a crowd, or disturbing the bucolic paper rustlers on the 8.15 into work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously Funny, 9 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens (Paperback)
This book made me laugh more than any other I can remember - it's probably not going to win any major literary prizes but I think there are other reasons to read than for self-improvement, and giggling the entire way through a book cannot be a bad thing. It's Pythonesque in the scale of its silliness with joke after joke spoofing a much loved literary classic and a ream of familiar cultural reference (I think my favourite still remains Ghostbusters), losing nothing of the characters we are so fond of. More than anything, I had the impression that the writer was having a huge amount of fun writing it, and I am very grateful that that sense of lightness and humour has come to print and had the chance to be widely shared.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens - Jonathan Pinnock, 27 Jan. 2012
Length:: 3:40 Mins

A video review of Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens by Jonathan Pinnock. For more reviews by me check out my youtube channel, username SableCaught.

Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens
Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens by Jonathan Pinnock (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01