5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and Memorable
Published on 8 Jun. 2011 by Kate Hopkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not great
This is the first sue gee book I've ever read and in all honesty I wasn't a big fan. I liked the short stories but would've preferred the book if it had some sort of heading saying that it's talking about different people like saying where and when instead of just the chapter name, it got me a bit confused. Apart from that not a bad read
Published 10 months ago by Abbi G

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and Memorable, 8 Jun. 2011
Kate Hopkins (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Last Fling (Salt Modern Fiction) (Paperback)
I've been a big Sue Gee fan for over ten years, and was overjoyed to read her first collection of short stories. In this collection Gee manages something very impressive that shows that she is a first-class writer: while many of the stories are about quite sad subjects (several deal with people dying of cancer) one doesn't leave the book feeling depressed - instead, one feels curiously uplifted. Gee's wonderful use of language is at its best in many of these stories, with her painterly eye for detail, and superb descriptions of landscape. And as a cat lover I thought Gee's descriptions of cats were marvellous, and I was glad so many of the stories featured felines. Even in a small book there's a wide range of subjects - from the story of a lonely girl and her brief friendship with an equally lonely single mother, to the account of a frustrated woman painter, the tale of another painter who, going blind, has to get used to the idea that he won't be working again, and the poignant title story, where Fran, dying of cancer, has a last try for love. A wonderful read that reminds one of the richness of the English language. I can't wait for her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Collection of Some Wonderful Short Fiction., 13 Dec. 2011
Susie B - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Last Fling (Salt Modern Fiction) (Paperback)
I have to admit that, apart from Virginia Woolf's and Katherine Mansfield's brilliant examples of short fiction, I am not usually a fan of short stories; however having read some of Sue Gee's wonderful full-length fiction, I decided I would give her latest book a try - and I am very glad that I did.

I understand that some of the short stories in this book have been previously published or broadcast separately, but the author has also written some new ones especially for this publication and they are all immensely readable and memorable. There are a couple of very sad stories in this collection - in fact the title of the book `Last Fling' is one of these, where a terminally ill woman advertises in the Lonely Hearts column; however, there are also many amusing and comical moments scattered throughout this book and some wonderfully uplifting stories too, and the author's perceptive skill of observation means that none these stories become mawkish or overly sentimental. Sue Gee is able to conjure a setting or a character with just a sentence or two and this is so important when writing short fiction, where there is usually little time to engage with the character or situation. In this collection of stories, I found I was able to become involved with, and care about, the main character almost immediately and even the peripheral characters raised interest.

A few of the stories in this collection feature artists and, if like me, you have read her amazing novel 'Earth and Heaven', you will know how good Sue Gee is when writing about art and nature; in fact her style of writing is often described by reviewers as 'painterly'. In one of the stories: 'Landscape at Iden' she writes: "Henry was consuming a pear. Alone in the panelled dining room, he spread his napkin, peeled the freckled yellow skin with an ivory-handled fruit knife, quartered the juicy white flesh. Sun gleamed here and there, striking the rim of a glass, a silver blade, the fruit dish". This is a marvellously descriptive and yes, painterly, piece of writing, and it is just one of many.

Even if, like me, short stories are not your favourite kind of reading matter, I would recommend you try this excellent collection and, if you are still not tempted and have not read any of Sue Gee's full length fiction, I would particularly recommend: Earth and Heaven and The Hours of the Night

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Fling, 31 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Last Fling (Salt Modern Fiction) (Paperback)
I was pleasantly surprised to discover how satisfying a short story read can be. Most of these stories I found are charming, perceptive and even enthralling making me want to gobble them up and sadly finish all too soon.Last Fling (Salt Modern Fiction)

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant and lyrical, 4 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Last Fling (Salt Modern Fiction) (Paperback)
As a fan of Sue Gee's writing, I'm delighted to learn that she has a new novel out next year (2012); in the meanwhile, I've very much enjoyed this collection of her short stories. Some date back several decades, others are more recent, and all have a poetic quality, teasingly elliptical at times, often poignant and full of telling visual imagery. My personal favourites are "Days", "Pegwell Bay", "For Life" and the title story "Last Fling" in which a woman faces her terminal illness with dignity and an unblemished love for life. This was a particularly moving piece and an excellent finale to the book. (Just one point--perhaps I misunderstood, but a reference in 'Last Fling' to the quotation "that was in another country and besides, the wench is dead" seemed to imply the line was from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice. It's not, of course; it's from Marlowe's 'Jew of Malta'. If this was an editorial error, perhaps it could be corrected in a later edition.)

4.0 out of 5 stars First Class Short Fiction - moving and memorable, 7 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Last Fling (Salt Modern Fiction) (Paperback)
I really like Sue Gee's writing (particularly the The Mysteries of Glass) and so I delved very happily into these short stories. They are very good - each one reads like the beginning of a novel and I would have gone on and on reading. If there's a theme to this collection, it's loneliness - the solitary person, only children, women who have never married, men whose wives have left them, business men alone in a foreign city. As one of the characters remarks: 'being single is an art. It is, like a marriage, something to work at'. These solitary people feel different, even from other solitary people. One of them observes: 'Jenny didn't seem single', she had 'the air of a woman who knew how to live with someone, should she ever choose to.'
Sue Gee knows how to fill in character and give a story the depth of a novel. She has a light touch - she never tells too much - and this is a collection of excellent, traditional, short stories - moving and memorable - some of the best I've read in a long time. Exactly what you'd expect from a publisher as good as Salt!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not great, 21 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful collection, 5 Dec. 2011
Eleanor (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The twelve stories that make up this collection give the reader clear and moving insights into the lives of various people (often artists) at various periods during the last century. Gee's characters are typically filled with loneliness and longing, but also able to savour small bright experiences and moments of connection with others. All the stories create a vivid and beautifully described world, presenting a genteel Englishness reminiscent of Elizabeth Taylor and Barbara Pym.

"Last Fling" is the first time I have encountered Sue Gee's writing, but it has left me eager to read more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short Story, 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Last Fling (Salt Modern Fiction) (Paperback)
I am not very keen on short stories but I got this because its Sue Gee, whose books I love. As short stories go these are some of the best I have read. Sue Gee has a lovely quality to her writing, I would recommend these if you enjoy short stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed!, 9 April 2013
Wonderful stories wonderfully told ,each one it's own complete tale. Saving the best and most poignant. Until last. A treat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Fling small volume., 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Last Fling (Salt Modern Fiction) (Paperback)
I admire all Miss Gee's work and was happy to read this little book. I remembered some of the items from previous books, but was very happy to enjoy them again. She writes with great sincerity.

Last Fling (Salt Modern Fiction)
Last Fling (Salt Modern Fiction) by Sue Gee (Paperback - 26 May 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01