Format: PaperbackChange

on 2 June 2013
This book is written to the usual high standard that you would expect from Ross Hoddinott. He explains everything in plain English that makes it very easy to understand. Each subject is covered in great detail and you feel that someone has been talking to you as a friend and you learn more easily. I have bought all his books and have not been disappointed with any of them. This one is written with Ben Hall and they fit very well together and complement each other.
on 8 July 2013
This is a really informative book for budding wildlife photographers and encompasses alot of the diverse aspects of this type of photography. This is the first book I have seen that tries to put across a workshop in a book. In an age were you can spend some serious money to go on a course this is great value and a good read. It cover all the fundamental aspects and intermediate attributes budding wildlife photographers require. You should not though expect this book to cover how to use basic camera skills.
on 5 February 2013
Just got the book ,,can't put it down ,great information , great photos ,great reading ,can recommend 100%
This is going to be one of those books which can be read over and over again
Glad I bought it
on 23 August 2013
After wanting and receiving this book as a birthday gift - it was exactly what I wanted, it gave me inspiration and ideas for taking 'not just the normal' wildlife shot. I have in the last six months been adapting my garden so it is a haven for wildlife and reading this book got me 'out there' photographing just the wildlife in my garden. So much so I intend to turn it into into a year long project and later on produce a talk with accompanying slideshow of 'nature in the garden'! I have already pre-ordered the new macro book from Ross Hoddinott and I am sure I won't be disappointed. I treated this book as a workshop book and I think it has done what it says on the cover!
on 16 June 2013
There are many books on this subject but I rate this one highly. Ok some of the stuff is for the tyro but there are still gems of info
for the more advanced. Particularly liked the shooting detail accompanying each plate. For me a pick-up and browse through book
in quiet moments.
VINE VOICEon 22 April 2014
It is not often that I buy a 'how to do' book but I saw this one and having flicked through it I was very impressed by the layout and overall quality, so I bought it. I have now completed reading it and although I have been doing photography for 44 years I found it to be quite informative and easy to read. There is always something new to learn, especially as cameras are advancing so rapidly these days. The author writes clearly and without fuss. The quality of the writing, text and images is first class and I have given it 5-stars because it simply deserves it. It is one of the best books on the subject that I have read.
on 23 August 2013
I come from a rather small village close to the mountains in Slovakia, where I can enjoy outdoor activities, so landscape and wildlife photography is the thing to get into. In the past I received as birthday present different book by Ross, The Landscape Photography Workshop which he co-wrote with Mark Bauer. Since I did enjoy reading it and found it really helpful there was no question in my mind about purchasing more of his books.
The Wildlife Photography Workshop as all of Ross titles covers in the first chapters all the necessary basic background including equipment, exposure, composition and lighting with easy to follow and easy to remember photography terminology. It is written in way as not to bore or scare you off, because of the technical nature. (If you are interested in a more in-depth explanation of photography technicalities you may consider reading stuff like "basic photography by ava publishing" [Composition, Exposure, Lighting etc]).
After the necessary introduction this book goes on to explain how to tackle close-up photography, birds, mammals and plant life. It will advise on technique plus handy tips and it also points out what you should anticipate while you about your "business".
The best part of the book are the creative assignments that gives you gentle nudge to explore and be creative.
Thank you for all your hard work and great way to share your knowledge Ross and Ben!
on 11 July 2013
I bought this elsewhere as Amazon's price was a bit too high.
The wildlife photography content is great but this book has a fault common to several recent Ammonite Press publications: there are too many technical errors. Having contacted Ammonite Press authors in the past, I am firmly of the opinion that the problem lies with Ammonite's editors, since Hoddinot and Hall clearly know their stuff.
What is wrong? The stuff on aperture (p 30) is technical gobbledygook. Example: "if a small aperture is selected it takes longer for the light to enter the lens and expose the sensor". This is rubbish, the speed of light is constant, give or take microscopic variations. The editor has no clue what he/she is on about. Aperture varies the intensity of light, not its speed.
I think that by trying to avoid the statement that the light reaching the sensor is measured by intensity times open shutter time, they are creating nonsense.
Next (p14): "Human eyesight is roughly equivalent to 50mm...". This statement is rubbish as it stands. With a lot of qualification, it just might be useful.
And so it goes on.
The answer is to ignore all such stuff and concentrate on the wildlife photography.
At full price (£16.99), the book would be a severe disappointment; at Amazon's price, just about tolerable; at the price I paid (£6.99) a bit better.
I now have enough experience of Ammonite to know that I shouldn't rely on their books for technical stuff. They are consistently poor. Worse still, they refuse to acknowledge that there are any problems. They serve their authors ill.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 March 2013
It was a present for my husband he think's it great he would recommend it and there are lot's of thing's on dragonflies that he liked
on 14 March 2013
Essentially, it does what it says on the tin. Lots of great photos by 2 recognised experts and guidance on how they captured the various images. Lots of great tips and advice for the novice and accomplished alike. A good buy.