on 24 December 2012
I enjoyed this book immensely. Exceptionally well written and generally informative. I deducted a star because it's just too much a fan homage at times; the writer is well capable of a sharper pen. That said, it's the best Spurs book I have read for a long time.
on 9 January 2013
This book is ideal for any spurs fan wanting to know the history of the club and to add personalities to the names and faces of old players,managers and other characters involved in the thfc legend.it is written with humour and just the right amount of bias in favour of this great club.
on 1 May 2013
At the outset I must declare an interest, a triple interest in fact. Firstly I liked Julie Welch from the moment I saw on television her "Those Glory Glory Days", a factional account of her love for Tottenham Hotspur and Danny Blanchflower in particular. Secondly I enjoyed reading her match reports of football in The Observer. Thirdly I am related to one of the schoolboys who founded the club now known as Tottenham Hotspur in 1882, when he was a mere 12 years old. So I am disappointed to some extent with the history prior to World War II (WWII), also its reliance on quotes from blokes in pubs (that is how it feels when reading the book)otherwise known as fans of Spurs. The stated facts are often just what some chap says, not necessarily an authority on the Club. Anecdotal. Easy to read, but not necessarily accurate. Hard to tell. The style of writing is chatty,and the factual matter comes alive when Julie herself does, post WWII. Do I want a stiff,boring history? Not for a moment, nor would it sell, but the reliance peoples views is too great. There are mistakes, which I suspect are down to the editor/publisher rather than Julie Welch. Inside flyleaf starts with gross error "In 1892 three schoolboys...". No, 1882, and there were more than three boys. There are only 2 pictures prior to WWII and one is an illustration incorrectly stating the opposition as Sheffield Wednesday in 1901 Cup Final, when it should be Sheffield United. No photographs of early teams, but many of recent players. No mention in Acknowledgements to having read the definitive history "Spurs" by Julian Holland published in 1956, from where she would have found facts to help for the early days of the Club. Therefore I do not think it entirely right to call it "The biography" of Tottenham Hotspur, the indefinite article would be far more appropriate. But it is readable, extremely readable and enjoyable. A lot of hard work has gone into it, and it is really a long love letter to a Club. For that we should be grateful. Thank you Ms Welch.
on 31 January 2013
Spurs supporter really pleased with this book bought for Christmas present.
Am sure he will enjoy filling in the caps on the history of the team.
on 30 September 2013
What a great book, couldn't put it down whilst on holiday recently!

If you don't know much about the history of the club you will do come the end,from the beginning to the end of the 2012-2013 season.

Amazing book and well done to the hard work of Julie Welch and all involved COYS
on 26 December 2014
Ok, first, let me start off by saying that I am a MASSIVE fan of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, 36 years and counting as I started at the age of five so it saddens me when someone who is SUPPOSED to be as big a supporter cannot get the facts right and straight when researching and writing a book about this great cub! This is the third book on this great club that is LITTERED WITH INCONSISTENCIES AND WRONG FACTS, DATES AND MIXED-UP DECADES! What on Earth are these people doing?!?! I bet Julie Welch was sitting at home one day and thought 'ok, I have a bit of a love for Spurs, well more so than any other team, and having already written a screenplay for television where I claimed I have The Lilywhites running through my veins, lets pretend that I do again and write a book on the club and get LOTS of facts, dates and decades mixed up throughout the book while I am it!

Now, I do believe she is a big Spurs fan but is she as big as she claims to be? I don't know.... I don't think she is! If she is then why allow all of the inconsistencies to litter the book?!?! I would have made darned sure that there were NO inconsistencies anywhere within!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 January 2013
A very readable history of Tottenham Hotspur FC, admittedly covering it from point of view of a fan. Nevertheless, there's a fair amount of 'warts and all' information, as well as a lot of detail about the players and managers throughout Spurs' history. It's essential reading for any Spurs fan interested in the club's history, but there is one quibble: Harry Redknapp's abrupt departure is not dealt with in any detail at all. While this probably happened after the original manuscript had been completed, it might have been better to delay publication in order to provide more information than simply saying that 'Redknapp left', which is all there is. As a Spurs fan, I was hoping for a little more than that from an experienced sports journalist, to be honest, but it's my only real criticism.
on 23 February 2013
Buying this book to learn more about the history of Spurs, I have learned a lot about so much more than just the history of Spurs in this well written account. You get to know about key Spurs characters, not just the players, but also about the supporters, owners and managers, including the great and legendary Bill Nicholson, and especially how he both rescued and transformed an underperforming team and brought about not only the 1961 double, but also other successes both at home and in Europe as well. You also learn what it means to be a Spurs supporter and the Spurs way, which essentially is not just about winning, but winning in the right way and a stylish way to boot. All in all, The Biography of Tottenham Hotspur is a very good read and a book which is very hard to put down.
on 10 June 2013
Ruined only by being one of the first edition with typos on the spine and p.25 - this book is the definitive history of the mighty Tottenham Hotspur - my affliction since 1967 - I still thoroughly recommend this book for Spurs fans, young and old, to understand why we are a team of genuine history and tradition, our indebtedness to Scottish football, the origins of the rivalry with Arsenal and why all achievements of other clubs are only the wake of Tottenham as the pioneers - first Double winners of modern era, first European title, only non-league FA Cup winners - a specail football club and wonderfully written by Julie Welch or @DameJulieWelch
on 12 October 2013
I have been going to White Hart Lane since before the double and have read many books about Tottenham but this one was the best written and also catches the soul of the club.