5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant autobiography - a book of both halves, 26 Nov 2011
This review is from: Dennis Tueart (Hardcover)
As a kid, I used to watch Dennis Tueart on television bombing up the wing and wreaking havoc on opposition defences. I'm a Sunderland fan, but even after he joined City, I loved the energy of the guy.

His book is as opinionated and forthright as you'd expect from him. The first section is richly evocative of his triumphs with Sunderland in the FA Cup, when footballers played for the love of the game and had genuine respect for the fans. Loved his memories of training under Alan Brown, and heading the golf balls! Also loved his recollections of Sunderland and 73, which are really well described.

DT clearly respects the fans, and his work with City supporters as a player and Director (which makes up the second half of the book) deserve respect. I enjoyed reading about his time as Director at City, and his battles with Lee and Royle. I don't recall a footballer autobiography (except for maybe Bobby Charlton's) telling it like it is behind the boardroom doors. I have to admire Dennis for his openness on how cancer has impacted on his family, and that has prompted him to donate his royalties to a cancer charity.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - a really lively and entertaining read, 3 Dec 2011
Mrs. H. C. McCash "brokennail" (Herts. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dennis Tueart (Hardcover)
I remembered Dennis Tueart from when I was a kid watching the Big Match in the North West, and enjoyed watching the City team of that era. Tueart was always a lively and dynamic winger, and so was pleased to hear he'd brought out his autobiography. I throroughly enjoyed it. The early chapters encapsulated what it was like to play football in the 70s in front of open terraces and the working man cheering you on. Loved the sections on his time in New York with the Cosmos, and trying to explain the rules of cricket to Beckenbauer. Der Kaiser never did get what Dennis was talking about!
Alos enjoyed his recollections on his time as director at City. It makes you understand how rapidly City's fortunes have changed under new ownership. In Dennis's day as director, he knew the academy had to work to try and manufacture home grown talent, and in SWP's case, to sell him on to keep the club afloat.
His comments about Marsh and Kinkladze may be controversial, but Dennis was always a team player, and much though I enjoyed watching "Kinky" on TV, he never turned on the skills often enough. All those You Tube clips of him focus on and repeat about five incidents and about three goals. Not enough really.
A great book for City fans obviously, but also for anyone interested in the NASL in the late 70s, or Sunderland's magical FA Cup run. Well done Dennis!

5.0 out of 5 stars King of all Geordies, 6 Nov 2011
This review is from: Dennis Tueart (Hardcover)
Have not been reading this book for long and already I am loving it. Dennis was my hero at Maine Road when he came to us in 1974 and I was over-joyed when he came back to us after leaving the New York Cosmos. He was another of those great players who showed great commitment to the club and blue shirt and gave his all to us and this commitment carried on when Dennis became a Director. He will always be remembered for the '76 Wembley goal, but for me, all of his goals were great. I remember running to Maine Road for his return.

I have also watched the 1973 FA Cup Final where Dennis played for Sunderland and he was brilliant then. I can see now why City went for him.
What a little cracker and a cracking book!!

Dennis Tueart
Dennis Tueart by Dennis Tueart (Hardcover - 28 Oct 2011)