5.0 out of 5 stars Taking A Punt On My Life
This was a birthday present for a friend who does nt read a lot, this book he read it in two days, thats why I put fives stars because he enjoyed reading the book.
Published 16 months ago by frances greenhow

2.0 out of 5 stars repetitive
This book is so repetitive it is beyond belief. gambling, gambling and gambling, i just wanted him to talk about somehting else, and when he did breifly, he then went back to his gambling. i know he had a problem, but surely more happened in his life than that
Published 21 months ago by garybil

2.0 out of 5 stars repetitive, 1 Aug 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Too little snooker, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Willie Thorne - Taking A Punt On My Life (Hardcover)
I wanted to like this book more than I did. Willie Thorne is a likeable character in the snooker scene, both in his playing days and now as a commentator. That comes across in his writing too, which is accessible and readable. The problem with this book is that it keeps returning to the recurring theme – Thorne’s gambling addiction which resulted in a suicide bid. No doubt that’s a major part of who Willie is and needs to be mentioned in its correct place, but I feel that it has taken over this book. Thorne is apologetic, remorseful and inward-looking throughout – on occasion it feels like an exercise in self-flagellation. What I’d like to have heard more about is the snooker – Willie’s take on more of the key matches and tournaments in his career, a little more analysis of his own game and that of his opponents, more anecdotes from his time on the tour and in the commentary box.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pot the black its snooker loopy, 27 July 2013
I was aware he gambled. But this story of how he gambled with his life and sort of won. Good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good autobiography, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Willie Thorne - Taking A Punt On My Life (Hardcover)
I've read this book and its a very good book about his life and gambling problems which he face all way through his career

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking A Punt On My Life, 14 Dec 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 18 May 2012
Dpmallett "edhunter" (norwich) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Willie Thorne - Taking A Punt On My Life (Hardcover)
I always struggle to find great sporting reads,this book is avery honest account and a great read would highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars What were you doing Willie!, 28 Jan 2012
Jack Calder "calderjack" (chelmsford essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Willie Thorne - Taking A Punt On My Life (Hardcover)
A good read which I found I was unable to put down for long, although found parts of it exasperating, mainly Willies gambling addiction! I felt as if I wanted to slap some s ense into him. Its very sobering when someone as articulate as Willie could be sucked into what can only be called a mugs game, especially the way he was gambling.
The book takes you through his life from childhood and how he came to be interested in snooker, found he was gifted at the game, through his pro career and family life which was effectively destroyed by his gambling.
The book does tend to repeat itself slightly and reiterate points that had already been mentioned.
There are some stories of old snooker players like Alex Higgins etc but not as many as I thought there would be which was probably a good thing. The main sentiment of the book was Willies gambling addiction which eventually led to him trying to take his own life. It does have a reasonably happy ending though and Willie continues his snooker commentary and after dinner speech work.
Recommended not only for snoooker fans but as a study of addiction

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for snooker or psychologist fans, 26 Feb 2012
This review is from: Willie Thorne - Taking A Punt On My Life (Hardcover)
This is interesting from 2 perspectives - one, you get the history of Willie's snooker career and how he turned pro, and info on some of his big moments winning tournaments or reaching finals, joining the Matchroom stable and so on; two, from the perspective of finding out just how gambling can ruin someone, no matter their level of fame and fortune, and why it can happen. I met Willie outside the Cruicible theatre last April and while Ken and Dennis hurried to get in their taxi, Willie spent as long as it took to take photos and sign autographs with the fans and for that I am happy to have bought his book and help support his come back from oblivion, which I think is pretty much complete now. But it is a good read - the first chapter or 2 seem to be very self critical and almost go on too much but after that it picks up and is very good.

1.0 out of 5 stars ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz, 19 Jan 2012
This review is from: Willie Thorne - Taking A Punt On My Life (Hardcover)
This must be the dullest book I`ve ever read. How Willie Thorn has managed to expand such drivel to a book spanning 260 pages I will never know. He obviously still needs the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Willie, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Willie Thorne - Taking A Punt On My Life (Hardcover)
The book was an excellent ready about a very talented sports man, who's lifestyle maybe prevented him from achieving so much more. It also shows what any form of addiction can do, but at least Willie has come through it and hopefully all the stronger for it.

It also shows that everyone needs the help and support of friends, family and loved ones.

ARRAY(0xa4cdb1b0)

Willie Thorne - Taking A Punt On My Life
Willie Thorne - Taking A Punt On My Life by Willie Thorne (Hardcover - 19 Sep 2011)
15.19