on 27 May 2010
This book is perfect in every way. Whether you are just starting to get interested in Titanic or if you're like myself, have been interested in Titanic for many many years. I must admit at first I was wary of the book because I thought it might have been like most books I have on Titanic, what say the same thing over and over, and I thought I knew everything. But after sitting down and reading this book even after the first page, I was so happy to read things that I have never heard or seen before. Its easy reading, and drags you in the more you read on. I was so dragged into it, I read it in a day.

I love how Tim has set out at the contents page, listing every theory in number, then sets out thoroughout the book, each number and evidence to back up whether its true, false or a possibility. Even some websites where you can see pictures or read stories about Titanic. Its books like this one, what keeps Titanics memory, and story alive, even after 98 years after its sinking.

I love how its got thick pages and hardback cover, and this will be one book I will be keeping to read again and again plus to past down to my daughter when shes old enough to read it and appreciate the story.

The only downside of this book I found was, it could of done with a couple of pictures of maybe Titanic before and after it sunk, and pictures of some passengers what are mentioned in the book, so you can put images to the reading. But it was such a good book, that even without pictures, i couldnt put it down!
on 18 June 2010
Very easy to read format presents facts which are otherwise hidden in longer tomes. Some of the things I didn't know turn out to be things I didn't need to know or were only vaguely relevant, for example rumours involving passengers. Exceelent summary of the safety aspects. The author is promising another book on the subject but what more can be added? In summary-good bedtime reading.
on 17 May 2011
I bought this book as my kids were studying the titanic at school and I found it very intersting and believable. Unfortunately the school wasn't interested and decided to go with the ususal well know versions of everything
on 18 May 2010
This is really an interesting book. The Contents pages are the Myths,look up the page number to see if it is True,False or Possibly, then find out why including quotes from the Inquiries that followed the disaster, for instance, if the lookouts had binoculars it would NOT have made any difference. At the end of the Preface it say's "This book is not intended as a final word on any of the 101 points it covers, but it is intended to make you think differently about the Titanic" IT DOES. I cannot wait for " A Very Deceiving Night" an opus on the Titanic published in 2012. Anybody that has even the slightest interest in Titanic should buy 101 Things. You will not regret it.
on 4 April 2012
I bought this book to add to the many other Titanic books I own, thinking it would be a good addition, and there was bound to be some new information that I hadn't previously read.

Wrong. Most of the information was repeated straight from the British/American enquiries after the disaster. Yes I did find out some interesting things, but I always knew they weren't true. Such as that the Titanic was sunk by a mummy's curse and a Titanic worker being sealed inside the Titanic. Stuff like this is seriously unbelievable, but yet it gets repeated as fact. Other things are more intriguing, such as the eight members of one family that were killed that night, and stewardess Violet Jessop surviving the sinking of both the Titanic and the Britannic.

I commend the author for delving deep into some of the more unbelievable myths that surround the Titanic but quoting huge swathes of the enquiries has never made, in my opinion, a great book. It does make for very dry reading. Overall, the author did a good job, but the book could have been a little bit livelier.
on 18 January 2014
The author clearly has gone to great lenghts to research every detail provided in this book. Well known events and obscure details come up in this book which examines all aspects of the disaster. The format of the book is reader-friendly and I found it an instant page turner. Recommended for Titanic fans and enthusiasts.
on 8 March 2011
I have been interested in Titanic, since I was little. I have a few books, and memorabilia and love watching any documentary what features anything Titanic. When I read that this book was about to be released, I pre-ordered it though I was a little wary that maybe this book was going to be like the many others I have, which practically say the same thing over and over. Its an hardback with burgundy type red cover and gold lettering. Gives it a very classical feel. At the front, there is a page, listing the 101 questions and the page number, so you can skip easily to which ever question you are interested in reading. I have to admit there was interesting pointers that I didn't know but a couple that I already did. The lay out of the book, is in small easy to handle paragraphs, which you can read as little or as many as you like. The reason I only gave it 4 stars is because I wish there was photos with some questions, so you can put an image to the explanation. I read that the author is releasing another book on the 100th Anniversary of Titanic's sinking in 2012. So I will be pre-ordering this book, but I do wonder, what else can he write what this book and other books haven't already?
on 5 July 2010
I bought this book for my wife but then read it it and enjoyd it. The book separates the facts from the fiction and gives a clear picture of all the circumstances. There's many'if only's' and I wont spoil the read but of only the teleg..............
on 15 March 2012
[This book was provided to me by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review].

I was going to leave reading this book until closer to the 100th anniversary of the sinking, but couldn't resist for more than a day or two after being given access to the galley.

This book does exactly what it says on the tin - sheds light on 101 stories or myths about the Titanic and its sinking. A surprising number of these `myths' turned out to be true, or at least based quite heavily on truth.

Both a strength and a weakness of the book is the inclusion of verbatim eye-witness testimony, often transcribed from the formal enquiries that took place to make sense of how exactly the Unsinkable Ship, sank. Whilst it was fascinating to hear about conversations taking place in the lifeboats, teenage boys sneaking past officers to safety wearing bonnets and shawls, the accounts from passengers on other liners in the days afterwards, having to steam through the sea of bobbing corpses (shiver!) and other such anecdotes, the inclusion of the officers' testimony from the court cases at times got a little dry and repetitive and I found myself scanning rather than reading.

An easy recommendation for anyone with any level of interest in the disaster - or just wants to brush up on their facts with the centenary looming.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 December 2011
This book is an ideal inclusion to any Titanic library or for anyone with a passing interest in the ship.
The book is reader friendly and you can dip in and out. You will learn new facts from this book and also learn the fact from fiction!