5.0 out of 5 stars Cycling in France without the Lycra, 25 May 2012
This review is from: France on Two Wheels: Six Long Bike Rides for the Bon Vivant Cyclist (Paperback)
Cycling and France are old friends, but normally the combination conjures up images of Lycra-clad, very serious cyclists desperate to get from A to B as quickly as possible. This book paints a gentler, more indulgent picture of a cycling holiday in France. Adam Ruck loves the country and his knowledge shines through his prose. Broken up into separate routes, the book describes some of the loveliest stretches of countryside and gives practical tips on where to stay, what to eat and the practicalities of transporting a bicycle on various sections of the French railways, and also on planes. This is a perfect read for anyone who loves the journey as much as or more than the number of kilometres clocked or the best speeds achieved. If you're really not into two wheels, the book makes a good travel guide, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made a cycling holiday in France seem achievable, 6 Feb 2013
My first reaction to the write up of his book was "Ooh - look at this! A book about cycling and France and food/wine too. Does it get any better than this?" Well, having read the book I can tell you, yes it does. Adam's book, like so many other good books on travelling in France that I have read (and I have read a lot), inspires me to get out and see more of France. However, for me at least, Adam brought an extra element of excitement as his `way' makes the adventure seem really do-able. Each of his six routes is covered in about eight days and his daily distance of about 100km would be achievable by us (with a bit of effort put in beforehand). His bike isn't weighed down with tent and sleeping bag as with a bit of careful planning he finds good value hotels each night - much like we do for our road trips. I admire (almost to the point of jealousy) those who can take off with all they need for the next six weeks strapped to their bike. However they all have stories to tell of nights of little or no sleep under canvass for all sorts of reasons and they have made me realise it's not for me. I don't do sleepless nights and I know I couldn't cycle all day following a sleepless night. Adam has made it seem OK to have a cycling adventure and stay in a bed each night with access to a private shower with hot water on arrival and before you leave. Thanks Adam.

Add to this Adam's experience of travelling and writing about France for the Holiday Which? guides for many years and you have a great read with lots of interesting information, including places to stay and eat, along the way. Adam is also the only other person I have ever encountered who has mentioned travelling with The Michelin Red Book, just like we do.

I was sent this book by the author/publisher to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Witty, Just right for anyone who loves eating as much as cycling.., 25 Mar 2013
if you like the fact that after a long cycle you can enjoy the richest of foods without guilt, if you like dry witty humour, then this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tour, 8 Mar 2014
This book is full of fascinating ideas for tours and visits in France. Even if you're not a cyclist there's plenty to see and wonderful places to eat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got better as I went along, 17 Sep 2013
I wanted a book to read whilst I was riding from Portugal to Britain. At first I thought this guy was a snob and a bore, and I still think that, but once I'd got over my prejudices( unlike the writer) I read it twice for pure entertainment. This is not your average trip to France on two wheels, posh hotels, good food and wine at every possible opportunity.How the other half do cycle touring!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tedious., 6 April 2013
H. G. Phillips "not-a-techie" (vale of glamorgan) - See all my reviews
This is a day by day account of various rides. Comments are made about various towns, but very little about characters which the cycle tourist will invariably meet on the road.

France on Two Wheels: Six Long Bike Rides for the Bon Vivant Cyclist