on 12 August 2010
A fine book which will have you laughing out loud. Over the years I've been returning to the author's biography of Peter Sellers due to its singularly original and perceptive treatment of that most complex/awful of men, so I was keen to discover whether 'Seasonal Suicide Notes' would be similarly impressive. It is, although in a quite different way. A fine tonic for any other mid-life-crisis victims who are bringing up the rear in the 21st Century Rat Race.
on 4 June 2010
I bought this book based on the description, especially because of the quoted reviews and I expected it to be an extremely funny book. I could not laugh at 95% of the jokes/funny scenes he wrote about. I guess this kind of humor is not for everybody. It could also be that I am just not educated to an high enough level to understand all the references he is making.
It is not a bad book but it is definitely directed at a specific audience.
on 8 August 2010
This book was confiscated on a recent holiday by my nine year old daughter. 'Laughing out loud like that about a book will make people think you are mad.' Roger Lewis has written the only laugh aloud book I have encountered since Roddy Doyle's The Van, which it is, of course, not at all like. Brilliantly funny- I am ordering three copies extra to send to friends, my best friends
on 23 December 2009
I had never heard of Roger Lewis before, but thought that this book might be fun. I have always hated the round robin Christmas letter and the premise of this book sounded good. But this was not what I imagined and indeed what some of the reviews described it as. I actually hated this book and can't wait to take it down to the charity shop to get rid of it. I tried really hard to understand what was funny about it. Most of it is hateful, not funny. The most distasteful thing is his sad attempt to get back at dead (and some living) people who may have disliked Mr Lewis for a reason which I just cannot possibly imagine, given him negative reviews in the past or might have been gay. This was meant to be my Christmas reading to give me a laugh. It didn't.
on 29 March 2016
A steady stream of bile, enlivened occasionally by mordant wit.
on 16 October 2014
a bit self indulgent, good writer
on 11 February 2015
all round excellence....
on 31 January 2010
I bought this book because the author lives locally and I love 'Round robins'

Having read and for some reason enjoyed it I would recommend it to anyone who can cope with arrogance but loves trivia, name and place dropping and has nothing better to do. At least one laugh on each page.
on 15 April 2010
i simply cannot recall laughing so hard, and aloud, while reading a book. this thing nearly killed me. when some poor joker is done by the authorities for, walking through a crowded swimming pool area and shouting, 'sorry, pardon me, paedophile coming through!' i nearly choked with laughter. this is often warped, always welcome and cripplingly funny.
on 10 December 2009
I Bought this book after reading the reviews and really wish I hadn't wasted the money. This is a sad attempt of somebody trying desperately hard to be funny. Humour; good witty humour is not easy to write. Unfortunately the author of this book seems to think he's found the right formula which could have been taken from the lines of many third rate stand up comics. Trying to get laughs with every other sentence simply doesn't work. Not only is this book not humorous, it is quite incredibly boring. The only thing in it's favour is the cover. At least I can give it to somebody I loathe as a Xmas present.