on 8 November 2006
I bought this book as my parents wanted to find out what they could do to support my husband and I through the adoption process. Since buying a copy for them I have been back and bought another 6 copies for all our relatives and closest friends, as it's relevant to anyone who will be involved in the life of the children we adopt.

It would be good to go into a bit more depth on some topics, but as an introduction it's great, and will give the people we are closest to a good appreciation for the process we are going through, but more importantly for the kind of issues that the children we adopt may face, and what role they can play in their lives.
on 26 February 2010
With 3 sets of assorted parents all obviously concerned that their lives are going to be hugely impacted by our starting the adoption process, this book has been ideal as a way to offer them an insight into the process and how it will affect them.
Having read it myself first I found it clear and covered all the basics in an honest but reassuring manner. It isn't as in depth as I am sure other books would be, and I think therefore the price includes a mark up for BAAF's fundraising department. But it gives them enough of a flavour to feel confident of where to go next in their reading. This is important as the formal adoption process offers relatives no training or preparation despite their input being huge!
on 1 May 2009
A mine of useful information/helpful hints for anyone about to be involved in the potentially complex but highly rewarding process of adoption.
on 28 May 2012
I found this book very informative and helpful as our daughter and son-in-law have recently gone through the adoption process. It will help us in our understanding of the adjustment needed for our new little grandchild and our relationship with the family. I can recommend it.
on 30 June 2013
This book was recommended to us as prospective adoptive grandparents and was hugely helpful. Often, in this situation, you feel distant from the process that your loved ones are going through. This book clearly explains all that you need to know and answers many questions that are inevitably on the tip of your tongue.
on 5 January 2010
I found this book very informative covering all types of queries you may have. It gave you a good insite to the problems you might experience or the adopted parents are going through. I liked the book as there wasn't to much non essential infomation in it and was an easy read.
on 23 March 2010
great to get the family involved in your adoption proccess and to allow them to deal with feelings that they may also have as relatives. my whole family thought this was a great little book and not too long to be daunting! well worth buying!
on 14 January 2014
We have an imminent adoption in the family and I wanted to do so research to understand this. It is written most for the purpose of grandparents but most things apply to others. There are some good ideas and some useful information but it's a short book and I'm sure I've plenty more to learn.
on 25 April 2011
As new adoptive grandparents, this book was very helpful in helping us to look at issues from the children's point of view. I particularly appreciated the reminder that their 'history' as they come into the family could be recorded and could help root them securely as they grow. It is written in a friendly and accessible way. The book is very useful for aunts, uncles and cousins and all the wider family.
on 18 August 2010
Bought this book for our parents and family on both sides. All have said it was helpfull and they liked it.