on 19 October 2012
What a fantastic little book! I recently bought my first external flash for my DSLR and was a bit at loss on how to make the most of it, so I decided to buy this book. Im so glad I did! What a lovely little piece of photo literature I got, it does exactly what it says in the cover and much more.

Its pocket size makes it easy to carry it with you everywhere in your camera bag, very handy. The text is written in an easy to understand & fun way - its a very nice read and the information is displayed in a very clear and organized way. The photo examples are fab as well to understand lighting and how you can make most out of it - both studio and outdoors shots where we can see the different lighting techniques you can use your flash for. It also covers equipment such as beauty dishes, umbrellas, reflectors etc.

To sum up, if you are new to external flash photography and are not sure really where to start, or if you just want to learn about the different kinds of light and techniques you can use when shooting portraits / studio sessions, this is the book for you!
on 26 June 2012
I bought this on a bit of a whim I like a little collection of books like this to show others what I am talking about but in reading it I am surprised how much an old pro with a fair bit of experience like myself can get out of it. Well and truly worth the money.

It's a nice jacket pocket size ideal for someone new wanting to take it with them as reference or alternatively reading on the tube on the way to work.

It's well written and aimed at all flash users you don't feel the author is either talking down to anyone or trying to appear clever. Whilst there are the normal chapters the author has also broken it down in to sensible page or couple of page long explanations of each element, triggers, soft boxes, single and multi light set ups and so on with clear simple to understand how to light different subjects.

As I say I have been surprised how much I have picked up from it.
on 24 June 2015
As a quite dedicated amateur photographer I have been somewhat lacking in using flash. I have infrequently used a light ring for macro work and a limited amount of flash indoors. I have mostly relied on ambient light of whatever type (I shoot in RAW and so can correct WB when processing).
I thought it was about time I expanded my horizons and used more flash and so bought this book in the Kindle version.
The first half of the book, I found to be quite useful and I learnt a few things. It also made me think more about light in general. So all in all, you would think "quite good".
Why then have I not given it 5 stars? especially as I don't consider myself to be a mean reviewer, despite my name. Well, it is because for the last third or half of the book, I wanted it to end, as it was just a series of different examples of lighting various models (maybe the odd vehicle too). Now this may be good if you need or want to be led into every comparable situation but I would have been happy with just a couple of examples. It would perhaps have been better if the examples had been couched in a, "Guess how this scene was lit", mode, with answers then being provided.
Maybe less is more at times?
Having sounded too negative, would I recommend this book? Yes! Despite my moans, I did learn from it. :)
on 4 August 2012
What can I say this is a conveniently sized little book, absolutely crammed full of all you need to know about off camera flash photography. Excellent pictures, superb text and a bargain price. Well done to the author and publisher.
on 30 October 2013
Flash was always a bit of a mystery to me. It wasn't relevant to my professional work and it just added light to darkness for my personal work. Then the nature of my work changed and I have started to need more professional lighting. Since I am rarely in a studio I decided to stick with speed lights, but did not know where to start in building and using a system; it is difficult to buy things when you don't even know their proper name. So I bought this book. It tells you what things are called, what they do and includes examples of their use. It is the perfect technical reference text for someone moving into off camera flash. What it isn't is one of those books full of endless perfectly exposed examples with diagrams explaining lighting layout and poses written by someone full of their own importance. I have seen Adam present and he has natural gift for reducing potentially complex subject down to something simple and practical. His book reflects this gift and I cannot recommend it enough to someone new to off camera flash or even the experienced user that needs the odd reminder. I carry it with me on every assignment.
on 23 June 2013
I brought this book as an extra to the other book by Adam Duckworth, one light flash photography. If you, like myself see lots of beautifully lit pictures by people using just speedlights these books are a must, very well written and arranged going from types of units and ways to trigger them remotely to finally helping you to understand how pictures are created and how to break down pictures yourself to understand how a scene was created. I am a hobbyist photographer and only two years into my learning curve and by reading and understanding both this book and the other I mentioned earlier has allowed me to use speedlights efficiently and confidently in a recent portrait shoot I undertook and gave me the results I could be very happy with. This book has also given me the confidence to try new areas that I have been reluctant to try using artificial lighting in and as such has given me much more enthusiasm for my flash photography.
on 22 October 2013
This is really very good to get you started, would have loved a cheat sheet with diagrams of the basic three light up' s without having to leaf through the book to find it. I think that is probably the only downside I found in the book, too much text not enough lighting examples, either as photograph or diagram. Also what was missing on how would one calculate the light to subject position either in degrees or feet or both.
It is a good book to get you practicing, but I wish I could just quick reference a particular lighting technique
on 19 May 2012
Quite simply the perfect book for learning lighting. it's not pretentious, and gives you everything you need to know!

I have tried to do lighting previously, and found it tricky, but after reading this masterclass, and in a convient size to take in your gear bag, i am confident in trying more!
on 12 February 2013
A useful starter guide or taster to strobing but nothing more. Small pocket sized so easy to carry with you
on 4 December 2013
As an amateur photographer I exhausted all options for creative camera use. Then I discovered lighting and became a pro photographer. This book is for people who are serious about lighting an photography. It covers lighting ratios, strobes, shapers studio and goes beyond equipment into post production.

Much of it you'll know if your a pro, but if your not this book is hot.