Format: PaperbackChange

on 5 August 2012
This was the first book I read on my Kindle, which was delivered as a free download. The book was a page turner and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The characters were well rounded and had depth. Be warned that the violence is graphic but in my opinion necessary. The ending is certainly a surprise (not that I will spoil it) and I felt a little let down that it ended in this manner, however that said overall a very good read.
0Comment28 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 September 2011
The Crew was an unusual book choice for me, being female, not familiar with the football/hooligan scene, not interested in football and not too keen on thrillers and detectives in general - but decided to give it a try as it was free. The book surprised me, and ended up being a page-turner. The beginning wasn't too interesting, but the story built up, and my interest quickly grew, eager to find out what the master plan behind this all was. It turned out to be a clever plot, for which several people were used, unaware of their purpose. This climax was the best part, but the descriptions of the violence are just not my cup of tea, as I found it too descriptional for my taste and I would have liked to learn more about the characters and their underlying thoughts, feelings and motivations. I'm more than happy to have given it a try, and I am convinced that the thriller/detective readers amongst you may like this.
0Comment78 of 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2012
this book is not just about football hooligans, its also a shows you how the authorities try to deal with these people
some very strong scenes written brilliantly a fantastic book that gives insight to both sides of the law
excellent read
on 26 April 2012
I downloaded this book because it was free and i thought it might be worth a look. Being female and not hugely into football I wasn't sure it would be my cup of tea but I was instantly carried away with the story. I couldn't stop reading as i had to know what the fate of the characters would be.
Was swept along with a rollercoaster of emotions and my feelings towards the main characters were constantly changing through out. The author had a way of making you care about the fate of these "hooligans" by letting us in their heads to view their true thoughts and emotions . Loved it so much i instantly purchased the sequel "Top Dog"
on 5 August 2012
An absolutely gripping story from the start to the unexpected finish. From 'the' authority on football hooliganism so you know that the subject has been written from the perspective of real knowledge gained over years of experience (Just google his name for any further confirmation). It was a book that I had no real interest in initially (subject matter), but had been recommended to me, and certainly if I'd took notice of some of the disparaging reviews I may not have bothered, but instead I took heed of the 90% of GREAT reviews and was so pleased I did. Yes, it's graphic, yes it's descriptive, yes there's 'foul' language...we're adults and it's an adult subject. If you think you're going to be offended, then don't download it...YOU have a choice! For God's sake it's FREE...enjoy the book and then read the sequel Top Dog...AMAZING.
on 31 October 2011
First book I've read from Mr Brimsom, and the first ever "hooligan" book. Terrific story, great pace and a disturbing, unexpected ending. Very highly recommended - don't miss out on this little gem!
11 comment31 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 April 2012
Not my usual type of book, but I loved this. The characters were believable and the story was great. The ending wasn't the one I wanted though. I won't go into as don't want to spoil it!!
on 4 June 2012
Yet another free book...and one I wasn't sure about not being interested in football or the fans who go with it. However, having some knowledge of various gangs associated with football teams all over the country (from a professional view in a previous job I hasten to add) I gave it a go.
The author obviously has a great in depth knowledge in the subject as much of the intelligence and social networking between the gangs was factual and accurate. Also not all football violence is carried out by your average loutish "yob"...many involved are intelligent men in well paid jobs.
Apart from a few typos the novel was well written and researched. The work the police put in to try and solve the mystery of what was going to happen between the various gangs was well worked out and realistic. I did not find the description of violent fights etc too graffic as suggested by one reviewer...this is, after all, how these people get their "kicks".
All in all a good free read...and I have to say the ending took me completely by surprise
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 April 2012
Let's face it, you get something for free and you don't expect too much from it. Well that's what I thought and I am pleased to have been proven wrong. Dougie Brimson's writing conveys the tension and the raw 'tribal' feel to the murky underworld of the hardened football hooligan. The book is not my normal style of read at all, but I found that I could not put it down for long. There are a few errors in the plot to my mind, and I was never completely convinced of the 'turning' of the informant, but I am nit picking, and have read many a good tale with much larger holes in the plot. The scenes where the main 'Guvnor' Evans is within a hair's breadth of realising that he is sharing his journey with an informant and an undercover cop are toe curlingly tense. I could visualise a Ray Winstone type character as Evans, a character above the law...which brings me to the ending. I really liked that it ended completely differently to my expectation. I will not spoil the plot for you. Suffice to say that I shall be reading the sequel.
on 2 September 2012
Surprising page turner and a free Kindle book very good value. The book synopsis says all about the book. As someone that has no interest in football and no real knowledge of hooliganism I did not know what to expect. The story throws light on a particular culture set, I hesitate to say 'right wing', and the tension builds encouraging you to find out what is happening.

Has a crime been committed? Is a crime being committed? How will it end? Suffice to say the ending is not what you expect.