5.0 out of 5 stars Every football fans dream or nightmare
I loved this book, I am not a huge football fan, but I have been to quite a few matches, so understand the rivalry between clubs. The main character gets a chance to wind up the rival fans in a big way. Whether you like football or not, this is an easy, comical read. Highly recommended
Published 11 months ago by Sam M

3.0 out of 5 stars Silly errors detracted from enjoyment
First off, I enjoyed this book. It starts with a good premise, rolls along with a good pace (if it was a `real' book I'd call it a page turner, maybe it's a button pusher?) and it nicely encapsulates some of the emotions involved with being a footie fan.

However. As my old Chemistry teacher would have said about my homework, I'm knocking some marks off for...
Published 19 months ago by N. Corble

5.0 out of 5 stars Every football fans dream or nightmare, 10 Aug 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Wings of a sparrow, 24 Oct 2013
Ms. W. A. Lindsay (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Would have given this 5 stars but an otherwise excellent book was let down by the number of misprint and grammatical errors, if the publishers did employ a proof reader to work on this tome he or she should be fired immediately as I have never seen so many errors in one piece of work in my life and I read a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Unique Read, 27 Dec 2012
People throw around the term "supporter" a lot. But I am not sure that people really understand what that word means.

I think Liverpool legend Bill Shankly got it right when he said,"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

In other words, the game of football gives supporters a purpose and it is a commitment that lasts a lifetime. It is more than a game, it is life that has taken on many forms.

One thing is for certain and that it the fact that a supporter is more than a fan. A supporter is more than a season ticket holder. They live, breathe, and fight for their club. Their family is the club; their fellow supporters are their brothers and sisters.

Wings of a Sparrow by Dougie Brimson is a great read. Brimson's style is conversational and engaging. And it gives us a glimpse into the life of real supporters in a fictional setting.

To be honest the book is a bit difficult to describe. It is a comedy; it is also a creative work of fiction. But it is a footballing story, one that brings out a lot of powerful issues.

It is the story of characters, the most demanding is that of protagonist Rob Cooper. He is the ultimate supporter, a man who rises each day to follow his beloved United and goes to bed each night with United dreams of glory. Out of nowhere, a long lost relative literally leaves him with a fortune. A life-changing fortune with a "catch." This "catch" will test him and his family to the core, pushing his own beliefs to the brink.

Does he do what is right in the eyes of his friends and fellow United supporters? Or does he do what will get him the most money? Does he remain loyal to United or start a new life with City?

In the end, Rob learns a lot about the beautiful game, but even more about himself. Consider the story one big life lesson for an obsessed football addict. Or a journey for an utlimate supporter, a chance to see what he is really made of. Simply put, it is a test of conscience amongst a comedy of epic proportions.

The story itself is unique, especially among all of the football non-fiction that is out there. My guess is that you can count all the football fiction on one hand.

It is certainly worth a read at less than 2 British pounds or $3.25 U.S.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book hes written so far..., 30 Nov 2012
Have heard rumours of a new book for a while, and whilst I knew it would be good, I didnt realise what a how good it would be!!.
All of his previous books I have read have been very hooligan based, yet although this is still totally football orientated, it is much more appealing to the mainstream reader.
The plot was very entertaining (I wont give anything away) with lots of twists and surprises. I think that this is the first book he has written that would appeal to both the football fan and also to the Saturday afternoon football widow too!!

Mr Brimson has surpassed himself!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting Humour, 20 May 2014
Although in essence this book is a fantasy comedy tale, it explores love, hate, passion, loyalty, the ups and downs and many other emotions of the football fan in what is a way of life to them. Following what is known as the beautiful game and known as something completely different to the average long suffering spouse.

This really is a wonderful form of escapism for the reader and the author brings the story along beautifully with some lovely comedic scenarios and classic one liners’ that will have you laughing along.

I will give nothing of the plot away but allow you the next reader to discover and thoroughly enjoy this entertaining book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all, 7 April 2014
One of the best books I've read in ages. It had me laughing my head off but also kept me riveted. Even non footy fans will love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 Mar 2014
After reading The Crew and Top Dog, which I enjoyed I thought I would give this a try and it did not disappoint. It was a much lighter read than the other two and I found I could not put it down. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Legend, 17 Feb 2014
blinding book amazing in fact,what a fantastic idea from dougie this will make every football fan think,funny and genuine a must-read

5.0 out of 5 stars magnificent, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Wings of a Sparrow: A Comedy About Football, Fortune and a Fanatical Fan (Paperback)
Absolutely brilliant read, once started you will not put it down, from start to finish it never lose's its pace...

5.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 29 Nov 2013
I got the kindle edition and had to read as quick as possible, very hardto put down, read it all and you will smile with happy satisfaction,
A great read, will he pull the blonde?

Wings of a Sparrow: A Comedy About Football, Fortune and a Fanatical Fan