5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and excellent learning
Had this for a week and already me and my five year old daughter have worked our way through most of these tricks. Brilliant fun and most of them are so simple, using stuff in your cupboard like vinegar, tea lights, bicarbonate of soda, food dye, milk, water. One experiment simply uses an egg. Another a penny. So you can get started right away!

The pictures and...
Published 20 months ago by K. Galvin

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs adult supervision
The science explanation of these tricks is very thin, so it should not be thought of as a science book, but rather as entertainment.

For some sometimes messy family fun it is decent value. I had seen all this stuff before, but it is good to have it together as a collection.

One for the summer holidays I think, because of the mess factor.
Published 16 months ago by Prof TBun

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and excellent learning, 12 Nov 2012
K. Galvin "loolabub" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cool Science Tricks: 50 Fantastic Feats for Kids of All Ages (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The pictures and instructions are easy to follow and each experiment explains the science in simple, easy to understand terms.

Each experiment is clearly labelled as to whether it is for everyone, "be careful" or grown-ups only. This book seems to be pitched at everyone from inquisitive school kids to grown up geeks wanting to impress at parties. This makes it fun for all the family! We loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun book that introduces some cool science, 17 Jan 2013
A. Milne "themilnes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My sons are really into science - they love all the Horrible Science books and anything like that, but it's sometimes a little hard to come up with cool little ideas for experiments that are easy to do at home and that will get them excited. Well, with the help of this book it's suddenly not so tricky! The 50 "tricks" in this book are great because nearly all of them are quick and easy to set up, with things that you'd generally have knocking around the home anyway. Each experiment is laid out over two pages and has a "things to get" list, so it's easy to see what's needed beforehand and then a "let's get started" section tells you what to do. Each experiment has an indication of who should be doing it - there a few that are listed as "danger - adults only"...but most are "be careful" or "for everyone". I like this simple labelling - it's a nice idea.

As mentioned previously, most of these tricks are very quick and easy to do, but they do introduce some really cool scientific concepts, (for if you're interested!). Each experiment gives you the lowdown on the science behind the trick and this is generally explained very clearly and in a fun, but not condescending way. An example of one of the tricks shows you how to stick a drinking straw into a raw potato. Think this is impossible? Nah - the book shows you how and tells you why it works!

My sons love this book so far and so do I. If you have a kid that is interested in science then it's a great little resource. If your child isn't so interested in science, however, then you never know...this book might open their eyes and get them a bit interested as it's fun as well as sneakily educational. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking little book, 11 Nov 2012
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Today we seem to be falling short of teaching our children about science. Without science investment our economy suffers badly and we need to do whatever we can to educate our children in all the major science subjects. This little book will help any parent (or anyone else for that matter) to provide fun activities that the childen will enjoy and learn science from. To be honest the adults will probably enjoy learning from the activities as well. I think books like this one should be owned by every family, so go out and buy it. It is clearly written and the activities are great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic present for a 12 year old boy, 1 Feb 2013
Bought as a present for a 12 year old as I wanted to get a science kit but after reading lots of product reviews lots for around my price bracket said they needed extra stuff to complete them and they were very limited, this book has lots of fun experiments and tricks using things you can find around the home, I bought it and added a few things in a box to complete the present and it went down a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 22 Jan 2013
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nicely presented, well thought-out book for "middle-aged" children (7 or over?) and their parents/grandparents. Traffic-light system covers level of danger and need for adult involvement. Fun and educational for all involved. If this doesn't stimulate an interest in science, nothing will. Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Like the hard back quality, 6 Dec 2012
David A. Nash "Nash aka Taker" (Chesterfield) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The experiments are awesome, amazing book for children however allot of adult supervision is required so best keep the book out of reach. A great way to explore science with your children up to the age of 11 :)

Although I did like some of the experiments myself :)

My boys where thrilled with exploding film canisters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun experiments, 20 Nov 2012
light (brighton) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although we have performed many of these experiments over the years with various children and have many of the details in other books or printed online, this interested my 10 year old. The book is a handy A5 on its side size. There are no actual photos of the experiments just drawings and text in various pastel colours but this was fine and with 50 to choose from not overwhelming. All the ingredients needed were easy to find - balloons, wooden skewers, paper, paperclips, cola etc.

My son really enjoyed pushing a skewer through a balloon and making a cola fountain. He found the instructions for folding paper in an illusion trick a bit confusing - it needed more pictures, but we got there in the end. Good to have as a standby for a rainy afternoon when boredom sets in or as a nice classy looking gift for a primary age child.

4.0 out of 5 stars Doing A Science, 14 Nov 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this book with my 8yr old nephew in mind, he is inquisitive and this seemed like a great way to channel some of that natural curiosity. The book is physically a little smaller than I expected, perhaps I thought it would be like some of the larger DK series of books, rather than being about A6. Not that this is a problem, the layout is clear and the description of the tasks throughout the book are well written. The diagrams are simple but give a good impression of what to do. The experiments are all the kind that I remember doing in school as a child that probably get knocked on the head these day due to health and safety regulations. They are the kind of things that can be done with household or kitchen implements and usually end up with something going 'pop' or 'fizz' in some way. Coolness is in the eye of the beholder though, so only time will tell if my nephew tries out all 50 of the experiments.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smaller than expected, 25 Oct 2012
Dr Phibes "Dr Phibes" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a science book, smaller than I expected, approx the size of the average DVD case. Its hardbacked, but not wipeable, dont get it wet. Would recommend if you can purchase at half the RRP.

Gives step by step instructions on science activities to try at home.

Each come with a warning,
danger adults only, adults set up and completes the trick, eg extinguish a flame without blowing
for everyone,tricks anyone can do anytime eg unable to remove a coin stuck to your forehead
please be careful, read the instructions carefully before beginning, eg fizzy water that freezes when opened

There are enough tricks and experiments to suit all ages as advertised. No props/equipment included.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funducation (sorry!), 10 Nov 2012
PB (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I originally got this for my Son, as he has a keen interest in science. However, when it arrived, his older sister wouldn't give it up - and she has little interest in science. What has been great to see is the interest they both have in the book. While there are some who dislike "Horrible Histories," I have to say that this irreverent, fun approach to learning is excellent. While my children will laugh along on reading and running the experiments, they are also absorbing good scientific knowledge along the way.

I'm not one who thinks that all games should be educational, but I do think that education should be fun. Cool Science is as interesting for my science-geek son as it is for my Arts-geek daughter. A job well done, Cool Science.

Cool Science Tricks: 50 Fantastic Feats for Kids of All Ages
Cool Science Tricks: 50 Fantastic Feats for Kids of All Ages by Daniel Tatarsky (Hardcover - 4 Oct 2012)
7.99