5.0 out of 5 stars MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD
I bought Richard Wilson's last two books, and they were very funny indeed. This is the best though - great for language lovers. I laughed out of my nose at least a dozen times. Absolutely recommended!
Published on 19 Oct 2011 by Jamie Anson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Amazed
I don't see this book as one to sit and read in long periods of time, but the entries in here that I have read just appeared to me to be unpleasant and not really that funny. From the card in the front cover, the book appears to have been edited badly too, although I'm not sure if later printed versions have been rectified.
It seems to me that the tagline for this...
Published 19 months ago by Scarf

5.0 out of 5 stars MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD, 19 Oct 2011
This review is from: How Not to Talk Like an Arse: 101 Modern Words That Drive You Mad (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Richard Wilson: a hero of our time, 15 Nov 2012
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have at least two good friends who, when asked how they are, routinely reply:
"I`m good". They are still my friends, but only because they possess other qualities less likely to set my teeth on edge. Another chum of mine would pepper her texts to me with the highly irritating LOL, until I begged her to desist. My ears are regularly assaulted by the recent linguistic aberration "I`m loving..." and I am continually surprised that I`m still at liberty, rather than banged up for (surely justifiable) homicide after one or more of these offences to both the English language and my sensibilities.
This is a book I`ve been waiting for all this century. Richard Wilson (the TV producer not the actor who embodies Victor Meldrew, though that would have made perfect sense) has done the English language and those of us who still retain a passing acquaintance with it - and who deplore, as he does, the inroads made into its versatile efficacy by buzz-words, vapid slang and ungrammatical abortions such as the all-too ubiquitous "like", "Can I get...?" and "On trend" - a great service.
That he has also written such a laugh-aloud funny book that insults all the right people, in excellent English, with righteous aplomb and a bracingly devil-may-care, unequivocal, barely restrained fury, is all the more cause for dancing in the streets.
There are 101 brief segments to the book (they are hardly chapters) each titled after the word, phrase or term the usage or misusage of which he then proceeds to demolish. There are even - oh joy - two pages devoted to `Anything Kathy Lette Says`. So it isn`t only me! I`ll leave you to discover the sheer facetious awfulness of what she says for yourself, but you won`t be disappointed. She, and her twee punnings (she puns like others breathe, yet is rarely actually funny) are skewered by Wilson in fine fashion.
On a more serious note, this 200-page book is a very real counter-charge against those who would rape and pillage our language, `dumb it down`, and generally abuse it unthinkingly, unapologetically, or - and perhaps this is the worst offence - unironically. The sheer comprehensiveness of Wilson`s tirade is impressive and, as far as I`m concerned, unarguable.
I was, however, disappointed not to find here my own bete noire: the simple word
"think": when used to mean "think of" or "imagine..." - as for example in the sentence "She writes in a Bloomsburyish manner - think Woolf crossed with Forster" or "This film is a return to his best. Think Spielberg on acid". I can`t begin to tell you how teeth-grindingly apoplectic this relatively recent usage renders me, but I usually need to have a lie down or a stiff drink or both. It`s common in written use, mostly in the printed media. I loathe it with all my being - don`t ask me why.
Would that the author of this utterly essential tome had felt the same, then my relief and happiness upon reading it would have been complete.
We all need this great little book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used a few ... Now I hope I have stopped, 8 Jun 2014
This is a great little book. As an older person who objects to most Americanisms that are creeping into the English language, it says the sort of things I have been thinking, but have lacked the skill to put down on paper. A real page turner... Sorry, a book that is difficult to put down once you have started to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 25 Mar 2014
David Nicoll "David" (Carnoustie, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Great chuckle and easy to read in small sections.Many a true word said in jest!!! Really good read for slightly older people. I'm 34. Great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic read, 3 Feb 2014
was a great read that i took on holiday then gave away as a present to my mother in law

5.0 out of 5 stars very funny, 14 Feb 2013
would recommend this to anyone with a sense of humour
kept us smiling over the holidays
Can relate to much of what is written

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas gift, 20 Jan 2013
A. Schofield (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Arrived in good time to be given for Christmas. I haven't read it myself, but will be enjoyed by my grumpy friend

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Amazed, 15 Jan 2013
It seems to me that the tagline for this ought to be "101 Modern Words That Drive Me Mad" instead of "You" and I felt really patronised and belittled whilst reading this. I was expecting some sort of guide on how to cope better in social situations and create a better first impression of yourself, whilst still being written in a manageable, witty way, but it seems to me that if you adopted the kind of attitude that the author has towards people who he deems to not be entirely perfect then I wouldn't be surprised if you were thought to be some sort of arrogant elitist.
I don't normally get cross in reviews, but the description for this that was put out in a gift catalogue is quite inaccurate for the content and it's a shame because I know the author writes for HIGNFY, I programme that I really enjoy. I will not be replying to comments.

How Not to Talk Like an Arse: 101 Modern Words That Drive You Mad