1,626 Reviews
 (1,376)

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't remember enjoying any book more
I laughed at my adult son when I found him reading Harry Potter. He said "don't knock it until you've tried it" and gave me the Philosopher's Stone for Christmas. I am now addicted and have bought and read them all.I am an avid reader of all types of literature but these are something else!
Published on 1 July 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars The films are better and too much description!!!
kinda boring. The book has too much information and spoils it. other than that, pretty good. I think the films are better definitely this one!!!
Published 2 months ago by Arly23

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't remember enjoying any book more, 1 July 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars This was an extraordinary adventure., 29 May 2000
By A Customer
This novel is an extraordinary adventure. It shows heroism, love, compasion, and friendship. It is surch a magical tale, that I have read it five times. I suggest that everyone throughout the world should read this enthrawling tale. When reading this book you get swept into a world of fantasy, where dragons are real, magic is everywhere, and you never know what will happen next. In this novel, there is the epic battle between good (Dumbledor,Harry, Ron, and Hermoine) and evil ( Quirrel and Voldemort). When you finish this book, it leaves you craving more Harry Potter, and wondering what will happen durring year 2 at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, whatever your age., 28 Jan 2001
marijean@mcs.net (Chicago, United States) - See all my reviews
I was somewhat suspicious of the hype surrounding the Harry Potter books, but when I saw this book laying on our endtable I picked it up. I am a US college student with very little time, but I made time to finish all the currently available Potter books. It was well worth the effort. By the end of the first few chapters I was in love with Rowling's ideas, characters, writing, and message. Rowling has a style that would be conversational, but is cleaner and smoother. This gives her writing a sense of effortlessness perhaps only seen in children's books--a sense that I think many of us lose as we grow older. It also makes the books remarakably easy and enjoyable to read. By the end of five days I had finished off the first four books and was seriously considering rereading them.
I have recommended this book and all the subsequent books to everyone I know, of all ages. They are intelligent and imaginative without pretention or condescension, making them something everyone can appreciate and learn from. This series more than deserves the "hype" it has recieved, and will certainly far outlast it. I look forward to reading these books to my own children someday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for girls and boys, 31 Jan 2013
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone
By J.K.Rowling

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone is a book about a boy called Harry and when he is a baby something terrible happened to his parents. This very evil wizard called Voldemort killed his mum and dad however he tried to kill Harry but somehow he could not. Therefore Harry had to go to live with his aunt and uncle. Eleven years later he had a letter saying he is invited to go to Hogwarts. Harry travelled there on a scarlet red steam engine. At Hogwarts Harry Ron and Hermione, Harry's friends, were caught out of school and their punishment was to collect unicorn blood from the dark woods. Then Harry and his friends go on a big adventure!

I think the book is very exciting! My favourite part is when Harry and his friends go on a very exciting adventure!

I think this book is suitable for eight and above. Eleven out of eleven people from Bancffosfelen school said they loved the book! My mark out of ten is nine!

By Sam Davies
Year 6
Ysgol Bancffosfelen

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable little tale!, 24 Mar 2013
Rory Q (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
I've dug my heels in for years now over reading or watching anything Harry Potter, but finally decided to give it a go...

Despite being sceptical, I've got to admit (and eat my own words!) it's actually fairly enjoyable. The characters are all unique, there's a definitely feeling of innocence, fun and humour; and the basic concept of good versus evil (and shades of grey) is explored in a satisfying way.

I realise I'm not the target audience by any stretch - I don't like fantasy and I'm hurtling towards my 30s, but there's something in this book for everyone, and I was no exception.

The pace moves at a decent rate, the chapters are broken into easily digestible chunks, and there's nothing here that I felt was a slow or boring part.

I did wonder at a number of points when the Philosopher's Stone was going to put in an appearance and then worried it was going to all get squashed in at the end. And indeed, after the climax I did wonder if it was all going to be a bit "deus ex machina". However, Dumbledore's explanation of events put my fears to rest and the whole story, along with its many threads, are taken to a satisfying conclusion.

Like I said, I'm not the target audience, but if I was 13 again or I had children of my own, I think it's definitely an exciting series and universe to get into, and a great way to get kids involved in reading!

A definite thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the single book I've read the most times, 27 May 2012
J. R. Johnson-Rollings (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone is the first book in the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling. This must be about the tenth time I've read it, but the first since the conclusion of the series with the Deathly Hallows in 2007. I'm reading it again along with Pottermore - Rowling's new website which contains additional detail about her writing process and the characters and world they inhabit.

Harry Potter is an eleven year old orphan, trapped living with his grumpy aunt and uncle until one day he discovers he is a wizard, and goes off to Hogwarts, a school of magic.

Reading the book again, I was surprised to notice a number of things. The book is actually really short - only 16 chapters - and yet there is so much happening. The story is quite episodic in structure, with each chapter having a mini-adventure of its own while continuing the main plot.

The differences from the film also stand out - particularly the presence of Peeves the Poltergeist, Ron's height, and the descriptions of the centaurs. However there's also a lot more detail and it's really this richness - Rowling's world-building skill - that makes the series stand out. There is so much going on and yet it is presented so straightforwardly that it's hard to imagine anyone finding the book difficult regardless of age.

Overall, it's a book I love, and probably now qualifies as the single book I've read the most in my lifetime. I could pick it up again right now, and am looking forward to re-reading the rest of the series once their 'episodes' become available on Pottermore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun fronm start to finish., 14 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I bought this book for my nephew but having heard how good it was I read it myself. I was not disappointed - it's an excellent read and one of the more original childrens' books I've read for some time.
In fact I enjoyed it so much I've just bought the new book and I can hardly wait for the next one. There is no age limit to enjoying good books!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read by the ideal presenter, 14 Mar 2002
By A Customer
I hope this will qualify as focused upon content, as the content of the audiobook is more than the story being told. American audiobook customers are offered a competent but lackluster reading by someone calling himself Jim Dale (come now, is that Joe the stockroom boy, or what?). His pronunciation is acceptable and his apprehension of the story sufficient, but his voicing of a not-short narrative provides no interest of its own and begins to drag down the proceedings. UK fans are blessed with direct access to what amounts to a brilliant performance in Stephen Fry's reading of Harry Potter's first four adventures. Any other performance this striking, with distinct characterizations and pace-conscious narration, would be likely to distract from the story. But Stephen Fry must be every bit the magician Harry Potter is, because he brings subtle detail and wild dynamism to every paragraph, and inhabits the story like a dragon inhabits his scales. It's a feat of alchemy equal to anything in the books. If I had to go down to the bank and change my dollars for Euros I would have this audiobook collection by overseas shipment.
My wife, the family's true Harry Potter fanatic, opines that Stephen Fry would have been ideal in the motion picture series in the role of Hagrid, the animal lover. When Hagrid regards the baby dragon he says, "he knows his mummy," and when Stephen Fry reads the line, I'm inclined to agree with her. When a job calls for whimsy and gravitas in equal measure, Fry has no equal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephen Fry is a genious, 2 Mar 2007
Most of these reviews concentrate on praise for J K Rowling, and as I agree with all that has been said, I won't add to them, but instead heap praise onto Stephen Fry. His narration is far and away the best that I have listened to over many years of enjoying audio books. Each and every character has their own distinctive and perfectly-judged voice, so that you know instantly who is speaking before the name is given. This makes it so much easier to simply enjoy the wonderful story without being distracted by confusion as to who is saying what, as so often happens with other narrators. I would probably never have bothered with Harry Potter if the unabridged Philosopher's Stone had not been broadcast on Boxing Day several years ago. We had a very long drive home after a family visit, and thought that this would wile away at least part of the journey. Part of it! We were completely enthralled all the way home, and then made a dash for the house, and frantically retuned the radio. We sat at the kitchen table until it was finished. We have bought all of the others as they came out, and they have all been great. I recommend listening to these stories whilst curled up on the sofa on a Winter's evening over any T.V program that I can think of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical!, 13 Jun 2007
Dr Evil (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
In my overly-excited anticipation of the seventh and final novel coming out on 21st July `07, I've started reading the Harry Potter series again (for the third time) and I'm enjoying them just as much now as I did the very first time I read them.

`Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone' is the first book in the magical 7-book saga, introducing an orphaned young boy, Harry, who has been bought up for the past 10 years by his aunt and uncle, who have been keeping Harry's secret very well hidden from him.

To Harry's surprise and disbelief, once he reaches his 11th birthday he finds out that his is a wizard and is invited to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. And so this begins one of the most engrossing and enjoyable stories ever written.

The first book is obviously a great place to start. The book is reasonably short, the story is fairly straight-forward (for now!) and once you have gotten a few chapters in you will without a doubt be already deeply absorbed and won't be able to put it down.

JK Rowling has a special writing talent that many (most) other authors don't, where you actually feel like you have been to places like Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Platform nine & three quarters and Privet Drive and have really met the likes of Ron and the Weasley family, Hermoine, Dumbledore, Snape, Voldermort, the Malfoys, the Dursleys, Hagrid and the rest of the memorable characters.

To anyone considering reading the Harry Potter books for the first time my advice would be this - join the hype, forget about the real world and enjoy six (most likely to be seven) of the best books ever written, that can be enjoyed by both children and adults alike.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Audio CD - 11 Feb 2010)
Used & New from: 79.99