1,943 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for girls and boys
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone
By J.K.Rowling

Published on 31 Jan. 2013 by Mrs Lloyd

3.0 out of 5 stars Obviously a brilliant read, so I'd give it 5 stars but ...
Obviously a brilliant read, so I'd give it 5 stars but it does annoy me that for a children's book, there is no option to buy the Harry Potter series in bigger print, with pictures or even on CD (at a reasonable price). My son is dyslexic and would love to be able to attempt to read this, but gets muddles too quickly, sore eyes and a headache. So it's now down to me to...
Published 1 month ago by lovemykids

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for girls and boys, 31 Jan. 2013
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone
By J.K.Rowling

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone is a book about a boy called Harry and when he is a baby something terrible happened to his parents. This very evil wizard called Voldemort killed his mum and dad however he tried to kill Harry but somehow he could not. Therefore Harry had to go to live with his aunt and uncle. Eleven years later he had a letter saying he is invited to go to Hogwarts. Harry travelled there on a scarlet red steam engine. At Hogwarts Harry Ron and Hermione, Harry's friends, were caught out of school and their punishment was to collect unicorn blood from the dark woods. Then Harry and his friends go on a big adventure!

I think the book is very exciting! My favourite part is when Harry and his friends go on a very exciting adventure!

I think this book is suitable for eight and above. Eleven out of eleven people from Bancffosfelen school said they loved the book! My mark out of ten is nine!

By Sam Davies
Year 6
Ysgol Bancffosfelen

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable little tale!, 24 Mar. 2013
Rory Q (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
I've dug my heels in for years now over reading or watching anything Harry Potter, but finally decided to give it a go...

Despite being sceptical, I've got to admit (and eat my own words!) it's actually fairly enjoyable. The characters are all unique, there's a definitely feeling of innocence, fun and humour; and the basic concept of good versus evil (and shades of grey) is explored in a satisfying way.

I realise I'm not the target audience by any stretch - I don't like fantasy and I'm hurtling towards my 30s, but there's something in this book for everyone, and I was no exception.

The pace moves at a decent rate, the chapters are broken into easily digestible chunks, and there's nothing here that I felt was a slow or boring part.

I did wonder at a number of points when the Philosopher's Stone was going to put in an appearance and then worried it was going to all get squashed in at the end. And indeed, after the climax I did wonder if it was all going to be a bit "deus ex machina". However, Dumbledore's explanation of events put my fears to rest and the whole story, along with its many threads, are taken to a satisfying conclusion.

Like I said, I'm not the target audience, but if I was 13 again or I had children of my own, I think it's definitely an exciting series and universe to get into, and a great way to get kids involved in reading!

A definite thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 24 Jun. 2008
I've read the Spanish translation of Harry Potter as part of my attempts to read and continue learning Spanish. Starting off with the translation, yes it is indeed biased towards Latin American usage but that should in no way affect your enjoyment of the book, as long as you aware of the vosotros forms why should it? If you had learnt Spanish with Michel Thomas and books from McGraw Hill you may not even be aware of the vosotros form anyway!!

One reviewer says that the use of "ustedes" is equivalent to calling people "your graces" to Spanish ears, which is just ridiculous. Anyone at a sufficient level to be able to start reading books such as this should be aware of the differences between Peninsular and Latin American Spanish and be able to adapt without their enjoyment being spoilt. I am sure the Spanish themselves do! A book that I can recommend (although a slightly easier reading level) which liberally uses vosotros forms is the translation of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory (Charlie y la Fábrica de Chocolate) if you want some exposure.

Another criticism the same reviewer levelled at the book was the use of the English character names like "Snitch" and words like "muggles". Whilst I see his point, this did not spoil my enjoyment. Although if I had been reading aloud it would have been hard to change smoothly between English and Spanish, so I can see why he feels this way. However, the book is set in England, and therefore I personally am happy for the characters to keep their English names so I ultimately feel the decision was valid. If I was to read an English translation of a Spanish novel set in Spain I would not really want Juan to become John, and Enrique to become Henry as this would seem out of context with the setting of the book.

Aside from debate about whether this is a good resource for learning Spanish, of course the story is great. Every chapter seems to end on a note which makes it almost impossible to close the book with the intention of continuing later. As someone who has long denounced and mocked Harry Potter as "for kids" - I have not seen the films nor read the books in English - I humbly admit I was wrong!

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful and interesting learning tool, 11 Dec. 2003
By A Customer
I read this book in English and loved it, well who hasn't dreamed about being a wizard or witch? The decision to read the Spanish version was the result of a desperate search for material with which to improve both my reaiding and writing in this language. It was great, ok so afer only 18mths learning Spanish I found some passages tough, but knowing the english version meant that I could piece the story together and enjoy the challenge. I would reccomend this to any Spanish people looking for a fun read and any students searching for a way to improve their Spanish. Trust me you'll learn idioms, new vocabularly and it looks impressive on the bus!

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't remember enjoying any book more, 1 July 2000
By A Customer
I laughed at my adult son when I found him reading Harry Potter. He said "don't knock it until you've tried it" and gave me the Philosopher's Stone for Christmas. I am now addicted and have bought and read them all.I am an avid reader of all types of literature but these are something else!

5.0 out of 5 stars MARAVILLOSO!, 2 April 2001
By A Customer
Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal es un libro esencial para cualquier aficionado a la literatura fantástica. No es un libro solo para niños, si no que es mucho más, es el reencuentro del adulto con ese mundo de fantasia que creia olvidado en el fondo de su alma. Será porque somos todos un poco muggles...

5.0 out of 5 stars My Words are Redundant, 12 Dec. 2013
And yet, I feel compelled to type them.
As a parent:
Best, I feel, for kids starting at around age ten. Not because a seven year old couldn't handle it, but because once you start a kid on this series, they will voraciously consume them all without stopping. Ideally I think a young reader should roughly be the same age as Harry in each book, because I think that was the author's intent, as the later books are more mature in theme and more complex in plot.
As a Reader:
I enjoy the wordplay and clever allusions and the rich, colorful, yet never verbose descriptions of the Wizarding World, but in terms of story and tone, I'm too old for this book. If you've never read Harry Potter, don't be surprised if you feel this way while reading the first few books (if you make it that far). For me, the series took off at around book four.
As a Consumer:
The Bloomsbury hardcover is well made and I enjoy the illustration on the cover. It's worth noting that the book underneath the jacket looks exactly the same as the jacket itself; the same illustration adorns both. If you're buying this as an adult and are assuming that underneath the jacket, there is a plain black or brown book that will not stand out on your grown-up bookshelf, think about looking for a different printing. If you're American as I am (sorry for living) you've come to the right place; the American versions have different wording and even the title of the American version of this book is changed (Sorcerer's Stone). Unforgivable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, whatever your age., 28 Jan. 2001
marijean@mcs.net (Chicago, United States) - See all my reviews
I was somewhat suspicious of the hype surrounding the Harry Potter books, but when I saw this book laying on our endtable I picked it up. I am a US college student with very little time, but I made time to finish all the currently available Potter books. It was well worth the effort. By the end of the first few chapters I was in love with Rowling's ideas, characters, writing, and message. Rowling has a style that would be conversational, but is cleaner and smoother. This gives her writing a sense of effortlessness perhaps only seen in children's books--a sense that I think many of us lose as we grow older. It also makes the books remarakably easy and enjoyable to read. By the end of five days I had finished off the first four books and was seriously considering rereading them.
I have recommended this book and all the subsequent books to everyone I know, of all ages. They are intelligent and imaginative without pretention or condescension, making them something everyone can appreciate and learn from. This series more than deserves the "hype" it has recieved, and will certainly far outlast it. I look forward to reading these books to my own children someday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 13 July 2012
Amazing!!! Harry Potter is a mind-blowing series of books. They have all sorts of magical adventures for you to unlock. They are such good books that when I picked up the first I just could not stop reading; and to be honest, they are pretty much my favourite books. The main characters are Harry and the family who he stays with in the school holidays... The Dursleys - Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia and the quite spoilt Dudley. Then there are Harry's mates, who he meets at Hogwarts School of Magic, - red-haired Ron Weasley and brainy but swotty Hermione. (Hermione is actually based on Jk Rowling when she was a girl.) Let's not forget Harry's main enemy at school though - Draco Malfoy. The teachers include Professor McGonagall and Professor Dumbledore.
The plot revolves around Harry trying to stop his arch enemy - Voldemort, who tries to destroy Harry and his friends. However, Harry fights back with his magical powers...
I would recommend this book for ages 10+ because it has some mild language in it and it is hard to understand the context and the style of writing. But all in all I would rate the books an outstanding 5 STARS!!!

Tom

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun fronm start to finish., 14 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
I bought this book for my nephew but having heard how good it was I read it myself. I was not disappointed - it's an excellent read and one of the more original childrens' books I've read for some time.
In fact I enjoyed it so much I've just bought the new book and I can hardly wait for the next one. There is no age limit to enjoying good books!!

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Audio CD - 11 Feb. 2010)
Used & New from: £53.35