Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 January 2011
**READ THE SMALL PRINT BEFORE BUYING** So, you read the story, it develops nicely with interesting moderately paced story and decent characters. Because he concentrates on characters and story and leaves technical aspects well alone, I find Brown's writing always leaves me feeling like there is a gap that needs to be filled. This was enhanced when, Oh!, [edit for clarity] the novel finished two thirds of the way through the book.

I used to find it a bit annoying when I buy a book and find it ends 40 pages before the pages run out, with the first chapter of the next book squatting there like a toad. Publishers have twigged to this and some, notably Orbit, now grey-edge the pages to forwarn you. No such luck here...

Bye-bye novel, hello "Engineman stories" 8 shorts of varying quality sharing (mostly) the same universe.
on 9 March 2011
While I am a fan of both sci fi and fantasy, I was somewhat disappointed when a supposedly hard sf story turned into rather mediocre fantasy
on 5 February 2011
But I abandoned this one halfway through.

The broad sweep of the plot was fine, but too many of the details and the macguffins grated on me. I just couldn't stand it any longer.