5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant - buy it!, 22 Aug 2011
A reader (East Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leadon Hill (Paperback)
A perspicacious, thought-provoking and wonderfully witty book. Something is rotten in the state of Leadon Hill (`tis an unweeded garden that grows to seed). The outward cloak of respectability blinds most of the inhabitants to the ubiquitous hypocrisy, shallowness and maliciousness which pervade Leadon Hill. Will everyone succumb to the grip of evil? Can anyone put a stop to the canker? I think there's enough irony, humour and wit here to satisfy most Austen fans and enough suspense to engross those who like thrillers. A captivating book; I didn't want to stop reading it until I reached the end. Absolutely brilliant. The best adult book I've read this year. After reading this, I bought Mary Cadogan's "Richmal Crompton: The Woman Behind Just William" which contains a bibliography. I hadn't realised that Richmal had written so many adult books and I hope that Greyladies will publish more of these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bracing, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Leadon Hill (Paperback)
OK, so far I've read lots of William books and just one of Crompton's adult books - Family Roundabout - and I was unprepared for this clear-eyed portrait of maliciousness, greed and cowardice. Marcia Faversham is the book's central character, who attempts to navigate the rapids of village life with some kind of neutral integrity. She finds her mettle tested when she sides with a lovely young Italian newcomer who challenges the manipulative gossips of the village. I suspect that the attitudes expressed by the young Miss West would have seemed radical when this book was published. They seem refreshingly radical even today. So this book is wholly unexpected - but it is certainly very good, and very enjoyable. Just don't expect cosy.

Leadon Hill
Leadon Hill by Richmal Crompton (Paperback - 15 Aug 2011)
Used & New from: 14.00