‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars only missing toddler-proof pages otherwise brilliantly helpful, 28 Aug 2010
Mad Saint Uden "Mad Saint Uden - it's an anagram" (Kent - UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
My toddler & I
enjoyed this book
and so that is why
you must take a look

it is not too short
it is not to long
the words take some thought
and it reads like a song.

The pictures are nice
with lots to see
we read it not twice
we read it times three!

A great calming read
when you're in a bad mood
it clears away weeds
and lightens the mood.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book!, 22 July 2010
Mrs. J. Jones "janejones" (Chester) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hugh's Blue Day turns into an exercise in coping with moody children as Hugh's resourceful Mum challenges him to spend the day with only blue things: blue stripes in his toothpaste, beans from a blue can, a navy blue mac, a trip on a blue bus and so on. By then end of the day Hugh has forgotten his grumps and has decided to have a red day tomorrow. The book is beautifully illustrated by Ross Collins and the language is just right for the age group, rhyming, rhythmic and evocative. I like the way Karen Hodgson has included alternative words for blue: aquamarine, navy, greeny-blue, azure and ice blue. My 5 year old grandson can now talk about an 'azure sky', which is a testament to this book. Great present for fives and under.

5.0 out of 5 stars +10 stars. Again, Again..., 16 Dec 2010
debbie8355 "*" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really superb book which captures young childrens' imaginations on many levels. The whole story flows and rhymes in a really entertaining way and the theme of being slightly grumpy takes off in a magical but realistic way. Lots of new words and shades of blue are introduced and it is a really superb way of explaining grumpy feelings and 'blue' days with a positive entertaining twist to preschoolers.
I would highly recommend you buy this.
A must have for your young child's bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous for little ones, 15 Dec 2010
Cath B - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely read about a little boy who wakes up feeling grumpy and his mum's attempts to gee him out of it. The pictures are really nice and my little boy loves the rhymes. It's a heartwarming story and thoroughly recommended for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright Blue, 14 Dec 2010
Paul B "-pb-" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hugh's Blue Day is a great story for sad children. Hugh is a little boy who has the blues and his mum tries to make him happy by challenging him to find blue things all day.

I can sympathise with the mum whenever my youngest (4 year old) daughter gets into a similar mood, but reading her this book actually cheers her up and helps her to understand about being moody.

It helps that the story is told in a lovely flowing rhyme. Reading it, you almost find yourself singing the words. I found my daughter guessing the words at the end of each rhyme too. Now she wants to have the book read to her all the time.

Recommended for moody children everywhere!

4.0 out of 5 stars How to Enjoy a Blue Day, 11 Dec 2010
Richard M. Seel (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hugh, a lively young boy, wakes up feeling blue and his mum has a brilliant idea to have him get through the day. Rather than encouraging his glumness, she manages to make the whole day blue - like dressing in blue, going to school on a blue bus, playing with blue bricks. And so, suddenly, a little boy starts to enjoy his day so much so, that he wants his next day to be blue as well. Mum says blue days only come along once in a blue moon so Hugh decides he wants tomorrow to be a red day!

Delightful book which the reader will enjoy as well and the illustrations are brilliant, lots to discuss with a small child.

[Review by Shirleyanne Seel]

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely tale..., 30 Nov 2010
LittleReader (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My 4 year old and I really enjoy this book. Hugh gets up in a very grumpy mood and so mum makes the day suit him by making everything 'blue' just like his mood - his clothes, his food, his transportation to school! The illustrations are lovely and the prose is bouncy and rhyming stories are a style we always enjoy. In a 'serious' aspect - this book enables you to discuss being grumpy with your child in a very normal way (and also reminds us parents that going with the flow is often better than fighting the fight!)that will keep them entertained.
Highly recommended...

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes being grumpy normal!, 29 Nov 2010
Mr. R. D. Turner (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great kids book. In the book Hugh wakes up grumpy, which is something that all reception aged kids do sometimes, as does every body else. His Mum decides that everything has to be blue, to celebrate Hugh feeling blue. So he wears blue clothes, goes on the blue bus, has a blue dinner and a blue bath.

The genius of this book is to take that grumpy feeling and normalise it. It humours the child rather than criticises them. I can say to my 4 year old son, "oh your having a blue day today like Hugh" and he gets what I mean without getting defensive. That's pretty good going for a preschool/reception book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 25 Nov 2010
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My golden rule of choosing a childs story book is that I must enjoy it too!

I really enjoyed this story about Hughs Blue Day... and his lovely mum who went with the flow of his bad mood and ended up turning something bad into good.

Even I was puzzled as to how they could get away with only using certain blue things like the baked beans out of a blue tin etc.

At the end of the book Hugh is so happy with his blue day and wants another one, however, his mum tells him that blue days are special and only come around "once in a blue moon" so Hugh suggests having a .................. day

The word isnt printed but the colour is illustrated makes it a good interaction tool for children.

Really good book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Blue, blue and more blue!, 8 Sep 2010
Jessie (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a cute story all in rhyme with nice illustrations. I like the use of different shades of blue as I think it's quite cool for kids to learn as many different ways to describe colour as possible. As the story is fairly long I would say it's suitable for a 2 1/2 to 7 year old. I know my 2 girls aged 4 and 6 really enjoyed this story as they are used to waking up feeling grumpy and maybe we'll have our own blue day soon!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Hugh's Blue Day
Hugh's Blue Day by Karen J. Hodgson (Paperback - 5 Feb 2009)
5.16