5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent easy recipes
We have been using these recipes for the last month, not just to loose weight, but because they are so healthy and easy to prepare. Really good book with lots of recipes to mix and match over breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Published on 1 Aug 2011 by LauzC

3.0 out of 5 stars 21-Day Wonder Diet ... too good to be true?!!
Published on 12 Aug 2012 by PlutoPlanter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent easy recipes, 1 Aug 2011
LauzC (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 21-day Wonder Diet: Lose Up to 10kg in Three Weeks (The Australian Women's Weekly Essentials) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars love this book, 13 Oct 2011
Dainora "dainoree" (london) - See all my reviews
I'm really glad I bought this book. all recipe is easy to do and quick.not just for diet this book but its very good for health lifestyle too. would recommend it

3.0 out of 5 stars 21-Day Wonder Diet ... too good to be true?!!, 12 Aug 2012
OK, so the title and the claim hooked me, why wouldn't it? Having decided I'd a bit of weight to shift, I was pulled in by the claim plastered on the front cover 'lose up to 10kg (that's 22lb) in three weeks'. Sucker! I should know better, I DO know better, but ... this claim coming from such a prestigious group as the Australian Women's Weekly, had to be worth investigating.

So, pulled in with the cover hype I finally got to the nitty gritty on page 8 of the book. Yes, lose up to 10kg in 3 weeks, however, a very important little fact they forgot to tell me on the cover. Quote from the book (8 pages in!): "The diet is for TWO people" (not the recipes are for two people) ... ah ha! So we are not talking a weight loss of up to 10kg (you did know that was going to be too good to be true, didn't you?!) for just one person, silly me, but a possible combined weight loss of up to 10kg for TWO people - well, that's ok then :( Shame they omitted to tell me this on the cover, but then of course I'd not have bought it. If this 10kg value isn't for TWO people dieting then I'm not sure where they've got this value from. The book cites two testers, one losing 5kg and one losing 5.5kg (both working for the AWW test kitchen).

On page 8 it also says: "This is a serious weight-loss diet that will supply your body with around 1,000 calories per day". You're telling me it's a serious weight-loss diet, a calorific intake of that amount for that period isn't usually recommended.

So, let's get to some positives. The book is very nicely presented, as you'd expect from AWW publications. The recipes are nicely laid out, giving all the essential information regarding calories per portion, fat content, etc, etc. So, the recipes can easily be used if you are following a low-fat or weight-loss diet.

It's a 3-week programme following a daily plan, so the book tells you what to eat and when to eat it. I knew that. I don't like that part of it, but I'm prepared to swop and change - as a non-fish eater I have to. Many people will like to follow a rigid plan.

This book is the UK version, with examples of fat content eaten in an average daily diet, and various other things, given as UK values. However, they've failed to just double check the UK ingredients. Day 1 breakfast ... 200g rockmelon. Eh? Not a huge buyer of melons so maybe it's just me, but had to look on the web to find out that rockmelon = canteloupe melon! Talking of Day 1 Breakfast, the ingredients are (bearing in mind the recipe is for 2 people) 200g of rockmelon (canteloupe as I now know it), 200g of honeydew melon & 200g watermelon. We have to wait until Day 9 before melon is mentioned again - snack is 200g watermelon. Strikes me that if you rush out and buy ingredients to follow the plan on a daily basis that's a huge amount of melon gone to waste!!

So, do I recommend this as a diet plan to follow? Absolutely not.
Do I recommend it as a nice, low-fat cookbook? Well, yes, guess I would but am sure there are others that may prove better - seems to be a lack of use of seasoning and herbs.

If you want to follow a weight loss plan, then I'd look no further than Ms Conley's GI diets (see my other reviews about a couple of her books) ... use the daily calorie amounts and use the recipes from this book. I do believe 1,000 calories for 3-weeks is insufficient.

What I do like about the recipes given is bread isn't a no-no. There are a number of meals using bread, albeit rye bread.

Another downside to the book is lack of prepare ahead lunches. If you are at home for 3 weeks so having access to a cooker and you really do want to be told what to eat and when to eat it, and you don't have any foods you dislike and you don't mind huge waste of melons, oh, and you have someone to share the recipes with, then this might be the diet for you, but I'd say check out Ms Conley's first. We know hers work, she takes great pleasure in telling us they do by giving huge lists of successful dieters in her books - this one appears to have been tested by just two people.

Needless to say, I've not followed the diet, the fact it's 1,000 calories per day is enough to put me off. I am sure you will lose weight, how could you not, but I'm sure I wouldn't last the 3 weeks on this calorific level. I have used some of the recipes though, and they've been fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super recipes, 23 Dec 2013
I already had this and bought this one as a present for a family member who was very impressed with the easy to make recipes

5.0 out of 5 stars 5kg lost as promised, 12 July 2014
Well I lost 5kg in 3 weeks - though have in the two weeks since put 3 of those back on. Can only blame myself for that. The recipees are lovely and don't really make you feel like you are on a diet - well, once you have survived the first few days anyway. I did find myself constantly thinking of food for the first 72 hours but after that it was fine.

You can rearrange the days to reduce the waste. The recipees can easily be halved if you are the only one in the family following the plan. Most are extremely quick to prepare and you can use cheaper substitutes for some of the products suggested.

Overall I would highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars I needed to loose weight before a black tie affair, 15 Oct 2013
The company annual dinner/dance (a black tie affair) was announced ... I stared at a beautiful dress hanging unworn in my wardrobe for 4 years ... no amount of corseting would help me squeeze back into it and I couldn't afford a new one. I needed to loose 14lbs in 10 weeks - drastic action was required and my daughter had recommended this diet a couple of years ago.

Firstly let me say the book is well presented, with lovely clear colour pictures and easy to follow recipes.

The recipes themselves are varied but some I just couldn't face ... Day 2 breakfast of corn, ricotta and spinach on toast? Bleuch - I just substituted another portion of Day 1's breakfast. I do have to work to a budget so that was common sense - I had plenty of melon still left to eat! There is a heavy reliance on low fat cheese - which I have to admit I loathe, I just substituted it with yoghurt. I really dislike wraps but I bake my own bread and used my own rolls as a substitute.

I didn't have a problem with the portions since two of us were following it - but it did make me sit up and take note of the difference between a fairly decent normal portion and what the portion I had normally been ladling onto my plate was!

I enjoyed that everything had to be cooked from scratch, I do work full time and had no problem preparing lunch the evening before to take into work the following day. I also liked that I didn't have to think much about meal preparation - someone else has done all that for me.

In the beginning 3 weeks seemed like a life time but it wasn't really and by the end of the diet I had lost 9lbs so I was pleased and I had no problem losing the offending extra 5lbs in the remaining 7 weeks ... I would recommend this diet as a good kick-start to a healthier long-term diet.

4.0 out of 5 stars A diet that doesn't feel like a diet, 4 April 2013
I bought this book as I thought the recipes looked fresh and easy to prepare, which indeed they are. As no-one else in my household wants to diet, I tend to spread one day of recipes over two days of eating which helps with the preparation time. I also use my own discretion about some of the ingredients, for instance if three different types of melon are required in the middle of winter, I will eat something like pineapple instead, which is more readily available. Regarding the different dairy products, again I will buy a couple (eg ricotta and yoghourt) and use them up, regardless of which type is required by the recipe. So as you can see I tend to cheat a bit, but rather to my surprise am losing weight steadily and the recipes are so healthy and mostly so delicious that it encourages me to continue.

3.0 out of 5 stars weight loss, 19 Jan 2013
I find the recipes very helpfull useing it at the moment plenty of variety to choose from need to eat healthy

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow Diet book, 9 Jan 2013
As typical of the Women's Weekly family of books, this is easy to follow, clear and concise. The recipes are simple to follow and even if you are not looking to lose weight, this book contains some great ideas and delicious ways of preparing food.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really to my taste, 26 July 2012
Liked the idea of this book but unfortunetley a lot of the recipes are not really to my personal taste and are also designed to be made for two people which means me on my own end up eating more than I should.
I haven't totally discarded the book as I would like to give it another go, but I'm not sure if it would work for me, it uses a lot of Skimmed milk Yoghurt, which I cant find in my supermarket, although I'm assuming fat free would suffice. Riccotta cheese which is not something I particularly like and spinach which I hate, but that's just my tastes and for anyone who likes these foods and wants to just eat healthy then it's a good book. It just doesn't suit me.

6.32