Format: PaperbackChange

on 21 August 2012
I feel it is only fair to warn you all that this review is going to be extremely gushy. Before reading this I had a lot of expectations which normally leads to me being disappointed, well not this time because this book blew me away. I utterly adored it. Defiance is one of those books that just seem to get everything right. I loved the plot, the characters and the writing. Redwine took a risk mixing dystopian with fantasy but it worked extremely well, and she managed to take the best of both genres and mould it into something new.

Another thing I loved about this book, and what made it stand out from the rest of the pack was its ability to constantly surprise me. I don't mean that it was a mystery novel that did its best to keep its truths hidden, what I mean is that the characters would do the unexpected when challenged instead of traveling down the well-used, and overly dramatic YA route that we are all used to seeing. It made such a pleasant change and managed to keep me on my toes.

I really have to applaud Redwine for managing to write in a beautifully descriptive way whilst keeping the excitement of the action scenes. It was extremely well done. I love to see beautiful writing in YA and there are beautiful moments in this book. Redwine also proves that she is not scared to take her writing to some dark places. There are moments of brutality, violence and death. Also The Commander is probably one of the most shockingly brutal and menacing villains I have seen in YA fiction.

The Commander is not the only character that stands out. Rachel is a great female lead. She is tough, head strong and smart without being arrogant. Other characters like Oliver and Melkin are also worth mentioning but it is Logan who really stands out. I really liked this guy. He is strong, caring, gorgeous and smart. He is all the things you expect a male YA character to be, yet despite his strength as a warrior and stealth he is actually really socially awkward and embarrasses easily, he often had me laughing out loud. He is also a nerd and, well, I love nerds. His slowly deepening feelings for Rachel were adorable. The peril they are and his natural awkwardness made for some pretty funny and at times intense scenes. The chemistry between them was electric and I swallowed up every bit of it.

Are there negative things about this book? Of course. There are maybe a few to many characters and a couple of moments that weren't needed but these are little things and they didn't bother me at all.

Defiance is a beautifully written and thought out book. It is action packed, humorous and at times touching. This book dares to be a little bit different and asks some big questions about the consequences of your actions, revenge and morally what is right and wrong and how you distinguish between the two.

Believe the hype, this book is brilliant and is one of my books of 2012.
When I first came across Defiance a few years ago I knew it would be right up my alley. I had just starting reading, and obsession over, dystopian books so it really was a no brainer whether or not I was going to read this book. However, for whatever reason, I put it off for a long time. When I first heard that a friend was going to be doing a read-a-thon, and that this was one of the books I knew I was going to take part, if not only to finally get around to reading it. I wish I could say it was worth the wait, but for whatever reason me and book just did not get along.

It had everything I normal love in a dystipian book. The city controlled by a viscous dictator, people thinking for their self and not swallowing everything they were told, a sense of community and family. So why did I not become hooked like I normally do?. I love multiply POV in books, when done right of course. But the whole point of different point of views is because the people have different personalities and different things they can bring to the book, right? Well sadly I didn't get that from this one. It felt like Rachel and Logan not only had the same sort of thoughts but as they were on the same path and both had the same goals, I didn't feel like different POV was really needed in this book

The characters in this book just didn't grip me either. I didn't really anything towards Rachel. I liked Logan, but I think my biggest grievance was with the Commander. I know he was suppose to be horrible, stop at nothing to get what he wants no matter who he has to kill to get there person. But I'll be honest with you, at times it felt like the author had tried too hard to make him do awful things, that in the end he just came across as ridiculous and annoying to me. It's not like with President Snow from The Hunger Games, he was one twisted mofo but he did it in style. Snow was this intelligent man who would do anything for power, but he truly believed in what he was doing. That everything he did to get the was justified. The Commander on the other hand didn't seem to feel anything other than brutality.

I know that it seems like all I'm doing is complaining, but overall this book wasn't terribly and I'm hoping it gets better. The world building was good and I liked the concept behind it. I just didn't connect with the characters, and that's one thing that puts me, and a lot of people, off books. I tried to feel more for them, I really did. But maybe when the series continue I'll find myself drawn more to them.

This book had a lot of action and adventure and it had a lot of potential. It's not the first time I disliked the characters in the first only to fall deeply and madly in love with them as it went on, hell I didn't like Rose or many of the other characters in the Vampire Academy, I thought the bitchiness of it was stupid and too much like high school and was not at all sure I was going to bother finishing the series. But I did, and it ended up being one of my all time favourite's. So that's what I'm hoping for this book. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me.
on 22 June 2014
I'm not really sure where to start with Defiance because it's been a few weeks since I read it and I'm still a bit shocked by how much it surprised me. Before I started I guess I thought this book would be predictable, I thought I knew how the story would play out and I'm so glad to be wrong, because it was a very unpredictable and a fantastic read.

Rachel lives in a city where everything is confined. She's not allowed to wander on her own without a protector and nor is she able to show people her true nature. Her true nature is all thanks to her father - Jared Adams, who instead of allowing her to become a helpless women, trains her into becoming a deadly warrior. But when Rachel's father doesn't return home from a mission, everyone assumes he is dead and therefore Rachel is appointed a new protector and guardian - her father's apprentice, Logan. As much as Rachel hates Logan, deep down they have a connection that they keep hidden but, she knows he's the only one she can trust to help get her father back. But with the Commander taking interest in Rachel and The Cursed Ones who destroy everything in their wake making more appearances, can Rachel and Logan really take on this big a task of going into the Wasteland and rescue Jared Adams?

Defiance is one of them books that once you start reading, you don't want to stop. It captures you from start to finish and even when you're finished, you want more. Author C.J Redwine did a brilliant job creating a very unique and enthralling read, one that will have you melting at the brilliantly written point of views. Yes, you heard me. Defiance is told from both Rachel and Logan's points of view. How cool is that? I find that it's very rare to have both male and female points of views in a book like this. Usually it's more in YA contemporary books but, this is why this book is so special because you get both two very, very awesome characters points of views, both who take two very, very different journeys and I absolutely loved it!

Now talking of the characters, they were great. Rachel and Logan have some many lovable qualities, it's hard not to love them. Both of them are strong, stubborn and determined - both very good warriors and fighters, and both care about their loved one's more than anything. I think this is why they have such a good relationship because they can rely on one another and not only that but, they can see affection and love from the other. And Logan is totally swoon-worthy....Rachel is one lucky girl. ;)

I really loved this book in total, it's a breathtaking read, one that is full of heart-pounding and exhilarating scenes and definitely an unforgettable journey, and I can't wait to for the next book.
on 21 September 2012
This book is a bit of a time sucker! Normally 400 pages would take me at least 3 days to read; this one I finished in a day and half. My whole life seemed to come to a stand still as I lost myself in the story and I think my family were genuinely peeved by my evasive stance as I ignored all pleas for food and clothing, so desperate to find out how it would end.

The story has a dual narrative and is written in the present tense, which perfectly fitted with the journey of the protagonists and the immediacy of the action. The chapters were short and sharp each with a cliff hanging ending, that spurred me on to the next one. The writing was so descriptive, I could visualise the characters and surroundings within my mind. The emotional descriptions of the characters were the best I have seen in a while and I found them an excellent source to study as this is an area I sometimes find lacking in my own writing.

I really liked Rachel, but I loved Logan. He was utterly adorable, extremely geeky but hot at the same time. The way he would repeat the elements in the Periodic Table in order to cope with the pain from his injuries was priceless. The Commander reminded me a lot of the Mayor from the Patrick Ness Chaos Walking series - very cold and calculated, totally above the law because he is the law and everyone must abide by his rules or die.

I hated the way the women were treated as second class citizens, always having to go every where with their Protector and not being allowed to be educated after a certain age. Their treatment really grated on me and I loved that Rachel went against the system and showed that she could actually be stronger and wiser than many of the men.

The relationship between Rachel and Logan took a little while to ignite as Logan was very slow to realise he had feelings for Rachel. I loved the scene with the blue dress, where he finally sees what every other man in town has already discovered. His reaction was quite humorous and typical of a man who cannot see what is blatantly in front of him. I did find the love scenes a little clunky to read, but I know these are not the easiest things to write, so I take my hands off to anyone that attempts them.

As the plot progressed, I thought I could see predictability raising its ugly head, however each time the author would turn the story on its head and take us in a completely different route. Everything I was convinced would happen, didn't!

This book really surprised me. I loved it more than I thought I would. It felt like a mixture of The Village, Dune and the Chaos Walking series, so I could never really tell how it would end. From the final chapter I got the impression that there is more to be told, so I really look forward to the next instalment of this thrilling fantasy.
on 24 April 2015
Defiance concentrates on a young girl named Rachel and boy named logan. Each chapter is told from either one of these characters viewpoints. The basic idea behind defiance is that man finds a new source of power and digs for this power. However in doing so they find something.......a creature. As the creature lays waste to the world the government collapses and villages are held together by army officials. Rachel's father is a courier and is in the position of a package when he goes missing. With her father missing Rachel journeys into the wasteland to try to find him behind the commanders back only to be caught. Now Rachel has no choice but to journey into the wasteland and retrieve the package the catch she has to hand it over to the commander. I loved this book so much c j redwine has such a magically way of writing I was totally sucked into the world and Rachel and Logan's adventure. I fell in love with logan and Rachel both are head strong characters with a fierce determination to take out the commander and the cursed one. The action scenes are out of this world I felt like I was there as they are described in such rich detail. The cursed one feels like a character rather than the monster of the story he has such a presence and power it's impossible to not be able to have a strong image of him in your mind. This is everything that a treasure in reading and why I love reading so much as this is a book I can easily forgot the world around me and become totally and utterly immersed and lost in the pages of this amazing adventure fall of action romance and amazing characters that I will forever adore.
on 15 June 2013
Defiance by C.J. Redwine is a (I think post-apocalyptic) novel that follows Rachel Adams on her quest to find her 'declared dead' father before the Commander does. Living inside the protective walls of the city she feels confined and controlled, (basically because all the citizens are) but outside the walls lie violent wanderers and a beast straight out a legend The Cursed One (which from the various descriptions I gather is like a dragon!). To begin with I found Defiance quite hard to get into. It is a novel you have to focus all your attention on - it's not a fluffy romance like other YA novels but still has more than it's fair share of romance, betrayal and action. I quite enjoyed this as it's good to have a book that does require more than half of your attention to read it! However one of the faults of the book is that Redwine does not set the period or really the place of the book - to help understand the unique setting of the cities with the situation of the Cursed One the
book needed to go into more detail about how the cities, their commanders and the Cursed One came about.

Rachel is an interesting character - she's really headstrong and independent yet when it comes to Logan she's like putty. I enjoyed these two different sides but I did find it a little unrealistic... Logan is her father's apprentice and very technologically orientated though he can use his knives when he wants to! They both hate the Commander and refuse to believe Jared, Rachel's dad is dead. Half the book follows Logan and Rachel attempting to find a way out of the city in order to resume the search for Jared. The actual search and the showdown with the Commander is a little brief and rushed for my liking and this detracts from the book's otherwise detailed plot. There are various other characters in the book like Oliver who all contribute to the plot by reinforcing Rachel's hatred of the Commander and giving an incentive for the book to keep going - rather than Rachel and Logan just finding Jared and running instead they begin to realise that this is bigger than just them and they must do all they can to bring down the Commander.
Originally posted on www.justthisteenager.blogspot.co.uk! Visit for more reviews!
VINE VOICEon 12 April 2013
I had been lusting after Defiance for some time before its publication, not only because of the beautiful cover (Strong heroines for the win!) but also because I was intrigued by the summary and if I'm honest, the book had been hyped up a bit across the pond. Thankfully, it was published in the UK and last year, I took a copy of the book on a cruise with me. If you've ever been on a cruise, you'll know that there is never a dull moment and ALWAYS something going on but you know what? When I picked up Defiance, all the activities went right out of the window as I couldn't stop reading this book.

I LOVED the originality of some of the main ideas in the book, the mysteries presented to the reader and also the strong, protective vibes coming from Logan for Rachel. Their relationship was enthralling and romantic from the start, made better by the history between them and the promise Logan made to her father. I thought the world building was excellent and I may sound like a broken record here but it really did play out like a movie in my mind.

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the book, it wasn't perfect and I did find a little bit of repetition that irked me. If I'm honest, I also wanted Rachel to be stronger than she was, to not need a protector and I suppose in some ways she strived for that too.

What I like most about Defiance is that it reads like a standalone while at the same time, leaving a window of opportunity open for a sequel and guess what?! THERE IS A SEQUEL, coming this year entitled Deception. I pray to the Cover Gods that they DO NOT CHANGE the covers mid series as they are too awesome to be messed with.

Defiance is an impressive debut fantasy novel and the start of a thrilling new series. If you like Game of Thrones, Throne of Glass, and Falling Kingdoms, then you are sure to like this one.
on 11 January 2013
4/5 STARS.

'My farther trained me to be a warrior. My leader branded me a rebel. My protector betrayed my heart. And my heart... My heart caught fire. Because all it takes is a spark. Of hope. Of sedition. Of love. To ignite a revolution. And i WILL fight. Because nothing sets the world ablaze like... DEFIANCE.'

At first, i wasn't sure that is WAS dystopian. I mean, the book and the blurb don't say anything about it being dystopian, and i was a little bit confused. I thought that it was either in the past or in the future, and i was leaning more towards the former. Because a) Their fashion is kinda mixed with the 80's and the 30's, b) They have a 'leader' that acts like a king and chops people's heads off and stuff when they don't follow his orders, and c) They have 'knights'.

Defiance starts off with Rachel's ( main protagonists) father missing and people stating he's dead, after he doesn't come back from his mission/trip as a tracker ( the best in the city). Rachel, however doesn't listen to anything people are saying about him, and believes he is still somewhere out there. She gets desperate to search for him. Attempting to flee the city, she gains the attention of it's overbearing and merciless ruler, which leads to nothing good.

Mrs Redwine doesn't waste time and goes straight to the base. After some 30 - 40 pages the book shoots with twists and action that i absolutely loved. I only wish i had more time to read this :( .

And can we just pause here and look at the cover? It's so pretty! The girl could be more beautiful, though. I didn't picture her like that in my head, but yh, whatever. The background is gorgeous as well. The dark trees ( forest) mixed with the fog are a very stunning combination. And the title is gold, which makes it kinda stand out. Whoever designed it did a great job :)

The characters were; very realistic, ok described, and could be better developed.
Rachel was an extremely strong character. I think the strongest i had the privilege to ever know. At the beginning she was a nice girl that liked to rebel, different from all the other girls. But throughout the book she changes ( well, tries to) into this cold-hearted, with no emotions, full of grief, seeking revenge and closed in herself girl. I didn't like that.
Logan was a very likable character, and i really cared for him. He was kinds like a genius. Always coming up with the best plans and scenarios and inventions. He was very protective towards Rachel. I think they make a wonderful couple, and i ADORE them together.

The ending was a little disappointment to me, because nothing actually got sorted out. Everything just went to [...]. I had such a big hopes! And all for nothing!!! 'sight'. It was pretty sad, to be honest, a little tragic even.

Overall, Defiance was a fantastic read. Full of action,twists and adventure. A great dystopian AND fantasy book that i won't forget easily. The characters were just awesome! I definitely recommend to all the readers out there who like dystopian, fantasy and a little bit of adventure with a touch of romance. Can't wait to see what happens in book 2. You HAVE to read it!!!! :)
on 19 December 2012
Well, it seems I can still enjoy dystopian after all! Now, this statement (and my delight) may seem a bit odd to those of you who don't know me very well, but I was never a big fan of the (sub)genre in the first place, and there are only a handful of dystopian titles that I actually loved. (Tahereh Mafi's Shatter Me trilogy and Ann Aguirre's Razorland are the only two that quickly come to mind.) I was more than a little surprised and more than a little thrilled when I was able to add Defiance to this very short list.

The story is equally divided between two points of view, Rachel's and Logan's. These characters won me over in a heartbeat. Rachel, our heroine, is a strong, independent, stubborn girl in a society in which girls like her shouldn't exist. While her peers sat demurely with their mothers or their Protectors and learned embroidery, Rachel was secretly being taught how to survive in the wilderness by her liberal father. Logan is her father's apprentice, a brilliant young inventor who was orphaned as a boy when his mother dared walk the streets without her Protector and was whipped to death on the town square. As much as Rachel hates living under the Commander's iron fist, Logan hates it even more because when he looks at their leader, he sees the man who murdered his mother.

When Rachel's father disappears outside the town limits, where there are no guarantees of safety and a huge monster, the Cursed One, preys on the unprotected, Rachel and Logan will have to go against the Commander to bring him back.

Now that I think about it, the worldbuilding wasn't nearly as complete as I'd have liked it to be, but in all honesty, I got so caught up in the action and the romance that I completely failed to notice until much, much later. In retrospect, there really should have been more background, more explanations offered. What little there was, however, I liked well enough.

The romance was multilayered and complicated, just the way I like them, and I was feeling things along with Rachel and Logan from the very first page. There were, however, hints of a love triangle in the last part and I fervently hope that C.J. Redwine won't take that road and that she'll continue to build the wonderful, honest, warm romance between Rachel and Logan without unnecessary drama.

"I need Logan. Not because he could plan our way out of this. But because on some basic, soul-deep level within me, he is the solid ground beneath my feet. The one who will move mountains to keep his promises. The one who looks at me and sees."

Which brings me to Logan himself, (again) and let me tell you, he is one amazing guy. He's not just Rachel's love interest, he is a hero in his own right. I love that he's both a skilled fighter and a brilliant inventor, and that he knows exactly what his goals are and what sacrifices he needs to make to accomplish them.

My hat's off to you, C.J. Redwine. I can't wait to see where you'll take them in the next book.
on 25 October 2012
Defiance really does have a little bit of everything: A complex storyline set in a brutally harsh world that is wonderfully imagined, fantastic writing that is easy to fall into, in-depth like-able characters that I genuinely cared about, kick-butt action, lots of believable emotion and best of all an honest love story that is both natural and really sweet! I really cannot believe this is C.J. Redwine's debut novel, as it is simply wonderful. I really like this exciting new world created here and I think the book bumps along at a great pace. I was never bored or disinterested while reading Defiance, I was stuck to those pages from start to finish. One of the things that annoyed me a little though was the lack of information about the cursed ones, I really would of loved more back info, also was this set in the past, future or present day? I couldn't help thinking on occasion that it was set in the past, maybe it was mentioned and I just didn't pick up on it.

Rachel lives with her father behind the protective walls of a place called Baalboden. The walls protect them from a monstrous beast they call The Cursed One, the city is ruled by a ruthless commander who forces strict rules upon the people of Baalboden. Rachel's dad is the best tracker the commander has but when he doesn't return home from his mission in the wastelands, Rachel knows something is seriously wrong. She is desperate to head out beyond the walls to search for him but escaping proves to be near impossible as the commander is keeping her and her newly appointed protector, Logan, firmly within his sights....

The ending is chillingly good and it really did have me on the edge of my seat throughout. The author conveys loss brilliantly, I really was choked up and really felt for Rachel throughout the book. The girl goes through so much and she always comes out swinging, she is tough, fierce, fiery and I really wouldn't like her any other way. I also loved Logan, who is a real cutie that I really enjoyed getting to know. I really don't want to wait another year for the next instalment, but I am very confident it will be worth the wait. Defiance is a real winner that you need to add to your wishlist today!