5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy meets dystopian in this teen epic.
Published on 21 Aug 2012 by Kate Phillips

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the start to a series I wanted, but a lot of potential
Published 4 months ago by StacieSnape

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy meets dystopian in this teen epic., 21 Aug 2012
Kate Phillips "Kate" (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I feel it is only fair to warn you all that this review is going to be extremely gushy. Before reading this I had a lot of expectations which normally leads to me being disappointed, well not this time because this book blew me away. I utterly adored it. Defiance is one of those books that just seem to get everything right. I loved the plot, the characters and the writing. Redwine took a risk mixing dystopian with fantasy but it worked extremely well, and she managed to take the best of both genres and mould it into something new.

Another thing I loved about this book, and what made it stand out from the rest of the pack was its ability to constantly surprise me. I don't mean that it was a mystery novel that did its best to keep its truths hidden, what I mean is that the characters would do the unexpected when challenged instead of traveling down the well-used, and overly dramatic YA route that we are all used to seeing. It made such a pleasant change and managed to keep me on my toes.

I really have to applaud Redwine for managing to write in a beautifully descriptive way whilst keeping the excitement of the action scenes. It was extremely well done. I love to see beautiful writing in YA and there are beautiful moments in this book. Redwine also proves that she is not scared to take her writing to some dark places. There are moments of brutality, violence and death. Also The Commander is probably one of the most shockingly brutal and menacing villains I have seen in YA fiction.

The Commander is not the only character that stands out. Rachel is a great female lead. She is tough, head strong and smart without being arrogant. Other characters like Oliver and Melkin are also worth mentioning but it is Logan who really stands out. I really liked this guy. He is strong, caring, gorgeous and smart. He is all the things you expect a male YA character to be, yet despite his strength as a warrior and stealth he is actually really socially awkward and embarrasses easily, he often had me laughing out loud. He is also a nerd and, well, I love nerds. His slowly deepening feelings for Rachel were adorable. The peril they are and his natural awkwardness made for some pretty funny and at times intense scenes. The chemistry between them was electric and I swallowed up every bit of it.

Are there negative things about this book? Of course. There are maybe a few to many characters and a couple of moments that weren't needed but these are little things and they didn't bother me at all.

Defiance is a beautifully written and thought out book. It is action packed, humorous and at times touching. This book dares to be a little bit different and asks some big questions about the consequences of your actions, revenge and morally what is right and wrong and how you distinguish between the two.

Believe the hype, this book is brilliant and is one of my books of 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully unique flavour combination, 9 Sep 2012
This review is from: Defiance: Number 1 in series (Courier's Daughter Trilogy) (Paperback)
Caroline for Big Book Little Book
Copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

Like the thick stone and steel walls which surround the city of Baalboden, the archaic rules of the society are as restrictive to the people as they are protective.

Under the guise of Protection women are brought up to be dependent on the males in their life and obedient to them. Designated to the care and responsibility of a Protector, usually their father and later, a husband, women have no autonomy. Instead all decisions, from where a woman can go to whom she can marry, are made for her.

Every movement is chaperoned and traceable and the punishments for non-compliance are extreme; the last woman caught visiting the market without her protector accompanying her, was subjected to capital punishment.

While her peers were playing house Rachel, a motherless only child, was training with knives, swords and a bow. When her cohort's educations focused on their future role as wives and mothers, Rachel was encouraged to think for herself.

Impulsive, often to the detriment of those associated with her and despite the potential repercussions, Rachel has no qualms about dropping everything, scaling the wall that encloses the city and searching for her missing father Jared.

As the only other person with the conviction that Jared still lives, Logan should be a natural ally in the search for Rachel's missing parent. But an animosity exists between them, born out of hurt pride, humiliation and awkwardness.

While Rachel is impetuous, Logan is a deep analytical thinker, considering the best and worst case scenarios for every plan of action. Don't be fooled by his attention to detail, nerdy focus on his inventions and awkwardness around the opposite sex. Logan is a hot boy with a sword and he knows exactly how to use it.

I really don't know how to effectively express my love for this fantastic debut.

CJ has crafted a pacey, action packed, kick-arse, pseudo-historical dystopian, with fantasy, sci-fi and Steampunk elements. Thrilling, heart in your mouth action, sits side by side with uncomfortably honest narration, emotive, gut retching scenes, profound observations and an almost poetic descriptive prose.

Rather than being uncomfortably full and sickly from taking a bite out of every pie you are left with the experience of having tried a wonderfully unique flavor combination that experimental chef Heston Blumenthal would be proud of.

A romance junkie at heart, I simply adored the developing relationship between the two main protagonists. A foundation of friendship, turned sour by defensive pride, our protagonists have to wade through misunderstanding and miss communications before acknowledging that their uncomfortable, passionate responses to each other are formed from love, not hate.

Not only has CJ created two flawed but immensely likeable characters whose chemistry sizzles off of the page. But by writing a first person, dual narrative she has given us front row seats to the toe curling, breath catching action

Verdict: I feel like CJ Redwine sat down with a checklist of my favorite fictional ingredients, seamlessly combining them together in to one spectacularly decorated, mouthwatering treat. All that was missing from this surprising gift was an out of tune rendition of "Happy Birthday ".

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the start to a series I wanted, but a lot of potential, 23 Aug 2014
When I first came across Defiance a few years ago I knew it would be right up my alley. I had just starting reading, and obsession over, dystopian books so it really was a no brainer whether or not I was going to read this book. However, for whatever reason, I put it off for a long time. When I first heard that a friend was going to be doing a read-a-thon, and that this was one of the books I knew I was going to take part, if not only to finally get around to reading it. I wish I could say it was worth the wait, but for whatever reason me and book just did not get along.

It had everything I normal love in a dystipian book. The city controlled by a viscous dictator, people thinking for their self and not swallowing everything they were told, a sense of community and family. So why did I not become hooked like I normally do?. I love multiply POV in books, when done right of course. But the whole point of different point of views is because the people have different personalities and different things they can bring to the book, right? Well sadly I didn't get that from this one. It felt like Rachel and Logan not only had the same sort of thoughts but as they were on the same path and both had the same goals, I didn't feel like different POV was really needed in this book

The characters in this book just didn't grip me either. I didn't really anything towards Rachel. I liked Logan, but I think my biggest grievance was with the Commander. I know he was suppose to be horrible, stop at nothing to get what he wants no matter who he has to kill to get there person. But I'll be honest with you, at times it felt like the author had tried too hard to make him do awful things, that in the end he just came across as ridiculous and annoying to me. It's not like with President Snow from The Hunger Games, he was one twisted mofo but he did it in style. Snow was this intelligent man who would do anything for power, but he truly believed in what he was doing. That everything he did to get the was justified. The Commander on the other hand didn't seem to feel anything other than brutality.

I know that it seems like all I'm doing is complaining, but overall this book wasn't terribly and I'm hoping it gets better. The world building was good and I liked the concept behind it. I just didn't connect with the characters, and that's one thing that puts me, and a lot of people, off books. I tried to feel more for them, I really did. But maybe when the series continue I'll find myself drawn more to them.

This book had a lot of action and adventure and it had a lot of potential. It's not the first time I disliked the characters in the first only to fall deeply and madly in love with them as it went on, hell I didn't like Rose or many of the other characters in the Vampire Academy, I thought the bitchiness of it was stupid and too much like high school and was not at all sure I was going to bother finishing the series. But I did, and it ended up being one of my all time favourite's. So that's what I'm hoping for this book. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars A heart-pounding read!, 22 Jun 2014
Book Passion for Life (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I'm not really sure where to start with Defiance because it's been a few weeks since I read it and I'm still a bit shocked by how much it surprised me. Before I started I guess I thought this book would be predictable, I thought I knew how the story would play out and I'm so glad to be wrong, because it was a very unpredictable and a fantastic read.

Rachel lives in a city where everything is confined. She's not allowed to wander on her own without a protector and nor is she able to show people her true nature. Her true nature is all thanks to her father - Jared Adams, who instead of allowing her to become a helpless women, trains her into becoming a deadly warrior. But when Rachel's father doesn't return home from a mission, everyone assumes he is dead and therefore Rachel is appointed a new protector and guardian - her father's apprentice, Logan. As much as Rachel hates Logan, deep down they have a connection that they keep hidden but, she knows he's the only one she can trust to help get her father back. But with the Commander taking interest in Rachel and The Cursed Ones who destroy everything in their wake making more appearances, can Rachel and Logan really take on this big a task of going into the Wasteland and rescue Jared Adams?

Defiance is one of them books that once you start reading, you don't want to stop. It captures you from start to finish and even when you're finished, you want more. Author C.J Redwine did a brilliant job creating a very unique and enthralling read, one that will have you melting at the brilliantly written point of views. Yes, you heard me. Defiance is told from both Rachel and Logan's points of view. How cool is that? I find that it's very rare to have both male and female points of views in a book like this. Usually it's more in YA contemporary books but, this is why this book is so special because you get both two very, very awesome characters points of views, both who take two very, very different journeys and I absolutely loved it!

Now talking of the characters, they were great. Rachel and Logan have some many lovable qualities, it's hard not to love them. Both of them are strong, stubborn and determined - both very good warriors and fighters, and both care about their loved one's more than anything. I think this is why they have such a good relationship because they can rely on one another and not only that but, they can see affection and love from the other. And Logan is totally swoon-worthy....Rachel is one lucky girl. ;)

I really loved this book in total, it's a breathtaking read, one that is full of heart-pounding and exhilarating scenes and definitely an unforgettable journey, and I can't wait to for the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A time sucking book!, 21 Sep 2012
This book is a bit of a time sucker! Normally 400 pages would take me at least 3 days to read; this one I finished in a day and half. My whole life seemed to come to a stand still as I lost myself in the story and I think my family were genuinely peeved by my evasive stance as I ignored all pleas for food and clothing, so desperate to find out how it would end.

The story has a dual narrative and is written in the present tense, which perfectly fitted with the journey of the protagonists and the immediacy of the action. The chapters were short and sharp each with a cliff hanging ending, that spurred me on to the next one. The writing was so descriptive, I could visualise the characters and surroundings within my mind. The emotional descriptions of the characters were the best I have seen in a while and I found them an excellent source to study as this is an area I sometimes find lacking in my own writing.

I really liked Rachel, but I loved Logan. He was utterly adorable, extremely geeky but hot at the same time. The way he would repeat the elements in the Periodic Table in order to cope with the pain from his injuries was priceless. The Commander reminded me a lot of the Mayor from the Patrick Ness Chaos Walking series - very cold and calculated, totally above the law because he is the law and everyone must abide by his rules or die.

I hated the way the women were treated as second class citizens, always having to go every where with their Protector and not being allowed to be educated after a certain age. Their treatment really grated on me and I loved that Rachel went against the system and showed that she could actually be stronger and wiser than many of the men.

The relationship between Rachel and Logan took a little while to ignite as Logan was very slow to realise he had feelings for Rachel. I loved the scene with the blue dress, where he finally sees what every other man in town has already discovered. His reaction was quite humorous and typical of a man who cannot see what is blatantly in front of him. I did find the love scenes a little clunky to read, but I know these are not the easiest things to write, so I take my hands off to anyone that attempts them.

As the plot progressed, I thought I could see predictability raising its ugly head, however each time the author would turn the story on its head and take us in a completely different route. Everything I was convinced would happen, didn't!

This book really surprised me. I loved it more than I thought I would. It felt like a mixture of The Village, Dune and the Chaos Walking series, so I could never really tell how it would end. From the final chapter I got the impression that there is more to be told, so I really look forward to the next instalment of this thrilling fantasy.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointment!, 8 Oct 2014
this book has alot of promise but it just didnt live up to my expectations sadly!
The problems in this book! well, its duel perspective, and i couldnt differeniate the two characters because they both annoyed me equally!
The story line feels dragged out, so the annoyance was prolonged and the ending was anti climatic

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED this book!, 9 July 2014
I LOVED this book! Fast paced, brimming with action, a strong, feisty female protagonist and a dragon that puts all the dragons that came before to shame. What’s not to love?

I could not put this book down. Inventing excuses to make time to read, I devoured this book from the opening sentence “The weight of their pity is like a stone tied around my neck...” to the breathtaking end and was left wanting more. There is a sure way of telling if you truly love an author’s style of writing - when you continue to read their four page acknowledgements at the end of the book, where they thank people who you don’t know or care about, just because you can’t believe the story is really over.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 5 April 2014
Jared Adams, father of Rachel Adams, left on a Couriers mission. He didn't return, and the Commander, leader of Baalboden, gave him the limited duration of 60 days to return, otherwise he'd be declared dead.

Defiance kicked off at a good start - it was sexy, fast-paced, and kept you on the edge of your seat. But then, about midway through, it went pretty much downhill from then on. It bored me to death, and the story just seemed to drag and drag. Sometimes I was tempted to set the book down and abandon but I couldn't leave the story unfinished, wondering if it got better. It didn't.
I will be reading Deception and possibly Deliverance, just to see what happens. But overall, the book disappointed me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 Jan 2014
This book is brilliant I love the journey of Rachel and Logan. I couldn't put the book down. As soon as I finished it I went right on to the 2nd book Deception!. I cannot wait for the 3rd book in the series which is called Deliverance to be released. Love them!! :) I even done my own twitter page for them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gutted when the book ended, 25 Dec 2013
Mrs. R. Fitzgerald "love to read" (Manchester England) - See all my reviews
I loved this book. The story and characters were well written. The book never tired, it was a real page turner, I had it read in a weekend and wanted more. Well done C J Redwine I will be reading more of your work.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Defiance: Number 1 in series (Courier's Daughter Trilogy)
Defiance: Number 1 in series (Courier's Daughter Trilogy) by C.J. Redwine (Paperback - 6 Sep 2012)