5.0 out of 5 stars An explosive beginning through to a thrilling end.
This book explodes with a thrilling opening scene, that finds the protagonist, Allie, in enough trouble to push her family over the edge. You can tell instantly that she is a troubled soul who needs help. She is sassy, tomboyish and full of teenage anger yet she is also a pretty cool character.

From that first chapter I was sucked in and I knew I wouldn't be...
Published on 6 Jan 2012 by Serendipity Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Not paranormal? How strange
With a school named after a mythological (or ancient) land, a title and a secret society called Night School, and an antagonist called Nathaniel (who at first sight seemed to be a bit supernatural - I thought he was a ghost or something) I was surprised that this book had no supernatural elements at all.
It was quite good though, and there weren't any vampires in...
Published 10 months ago by Hazel

5.0 out of 5 stars An explosive beginning through to a thrilling end., 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Night School: Number 1 in series (Paperback)

From that first chapter I was sucked in and I knew I wouldn't be able to put the book down until I found out the truth. Imagine a mixture of Hogwarts and Mallory Towers but filled with murder instead of magic. That is what you get. This book blew me away. Half way through, the author had thrown so many red herrings at me, I was convinced that the school was a mental institution only to discover that I couldn't have got it more wrong if I tried. Talk about, keep me on my toes. I can usually work out which way a book is going, but Night School had me totally fooled from the beginning and the events that passed were surprises to me. I thought the plot of the book was brilliant. The truth behind Night School really amazed me and it is definitely something I haven't read before.

I loved Carter from the start and I could definitely see his potential long before Allie could. Allie seemed to be blinded to the charms of Sylvian, who I really wasn't keen on from the beginning. I am sure this little love triangle will continue through future books, but I am pretty sure I will be rooting for Carter throughout the series.

The school is really creepy. It has a very Gothic feel to it and the descriptions provide just the right amount of atmosphere to the story. Just my kind of school. I am desperate to discover where the school is that C.J. Daugherty based the book on.

For a debut novel, I thought this was fantastic. The writing is strong throughout and with each cliff hanger ending chapter, I was desperate to read the next. I was lost in the book from the first to the last page. This is definitely not a book to read whilst you are busy, as you will find yourself cursing at your lack of time to finish it.

A chilling, nerve racking, nail biting thriller that left me wanting more. I can't wait for book two! Well done C.J. Daugherty on such a gripping debut.

4.0 out of 5 stars Night School - CJ Daugherty, 26 July 2012
Length:: 3:03 Mins

A video review of Night School by CJ Daugherty. For more video reviews from me check out SableCaught on youtube.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 5 Feb 2012
This review is from: Night School: Number 1 in series (Paperback)
I finished Night School almost in one go, it's fast paced, exciting, with twist and turns that take one further and further into an intriguing mystery. As the story unfolded, I absolutely bonded with Allie, and her attempts to make sense of the new school she has been taken to. What's going on? And what about Carter? I think he's gorgeous, but what's he all about? I'm not sure....! Can't wait for the sequel. All the characters are well drawn and believable, CJ Daugherty has done an excellent job. A best seller of a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: Night School: Number 1 in series (Paperback)
What a debut book! Absolutely absorbing from start to finish. The characterisations were superb,the atmosphere electric. I cannot wait for the next book, as, like all good books, you are left on a knife edge of anticipation as to 'what happens next?'

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: Night School (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. It's so refreshing to find flawed, believable teenagers rather than the anodyne stereotypes in so many YA novels. C. J. Daugherty creates an enticingly strange, atmospheric school and the twists and turns as our heroine, Allie, tries to work out who she can trust are intriguing. Can't wait for book two - there is a book two, right??

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent YA for Adults as Well, 3 Feb 2012
M. Mikulencak (Durango, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night School: Number 1 in series (Paperback)
I'm an avid reader of young adult fiction (even though I'm many years past young adult). Daugherty's debut novel is intelligent and well-written. The mystery gains speed as it races to a heart-pounding end...or should I say "beginning of book 2." Characters are well-developed, as is the setting. Daugherty is expert at placing the reader in the middle of the story. You'll be swept away by this book...and hungry for more of this author's work.

4.0 out of 5 stars World domination, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Night School: Number 1 in series (Paperback)
Allie's in trouble, in CJ Daughterty's Night School. Her brother's gone missing, her parents have turned their backs, she's been shipped off to upper-class hell, and - well, basically, Allie's a teenager: nobody loves her.
But soon she's the cynosure of all eyes, glamorous boys falling in love with her, girls giggling and sharing secrets. And Cimmeria Academy is so different from her former drunken wild-child world. Now she's eating gourmet food served on linen napery, crystal, china and silver. Her teachers demand high standards - and Allie mysteriously has a scholarship to a school where everyone else is 'legacy' - their parents and grandparents back to the Ark went to Cimmeria.
All is not as it seems, and soon Allie is entangled in mystery.
A great book for teenage girls, full of smoochy boys, gossip, makeup, nice dresses and just enough discipline to make it exciting. Set in England, it's slightly off-centre in that the kids all speak fluent American Teen all the time - but that probably makes it all the more attractive to its target audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read - captivating!, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Night School: Number 1 in series (Paperback)
I had heard many good things about this book so I wanted to see for myself what all the fuss was about - well now I know that it was a fantastic read that I just couldn't get enough of (another one day read for me). This was one of those books that come along every now and again and manages to completely blow me away!

The very first chapter caught my attention quickly and raised many questions in my mind. Allie and her friends were caught vandalising at school and this was the catalyst for her parents to send her to a boarding school. Allie's arrival at this new school was fascinating to read, there was definitely something mysterious about it and I was on the edge of my seat waiting for its secrets to be exposed.

As if I wasn't enjoying the story enough, along came an exciting love triangle! It was written beautifully with the tension between Sylvain and Carter being the perfect combination of male rivalry and protectiveness over Allie. I loved every minute of their time with Allie and I'm really hoping this carries on to the next book.

Many strange things happened during Allie's time at the Cimmeria Academy, I just couldn't predict what would happen next - I always seemed to be on the verge of finding out something really important but never quite getting there! When the big moment finally came and I discovered the truth, or part of the truth, I was literally holding my breath whilst reading it. There was also a super exciting lead up to the end and I was left wanting so much more, thank goodness the next book Legacy is already out!

The author has a very natural writing style which made it easy for me to whiz through the pages, it also made me feel like I was there alongside Allie as she faced everything that was thrown at her.

This was an addictive read that captivated me from start to finish, I would highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: Night School: Number 1 in series (Paperback)
A great book read extremely quickly as the plot is very tense. Looking forward to others in the series. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: Night School: Number 1 in series (Paperback)
I really liked this book it is in my top 5! Really enjoyed reading it! Gripping story! Couldn't put the book down! Loved it!

Night School: Number 1 in series
Night School: Number 1 in series by C. J. Daugherty (Paperback - 5 Jan 2012)
5.24