4.0 out of 5 stars Common love story
I gave 4 stars because of common teens' love story.
First I got interested in these dolls. Now I cannot stop buying new ones. Next, I watched all cartoons, and now decided to read books.
Published 7 months ago by Deira

3.0 out of 5 stars Monster High book 1
Published on 23 Dec 2010 by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Monster High book 1, 23 Dec 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Monster High (Paperback)
Frankie may be only be 15 days old but she can't wait to get out of her parents lab and start high school. Having spent her life being constantly praised by her parents Frankie is confident and knows she'll easily fit in at school and make friends but that's before her parents drop the bomb shell. Before she can go to school she must cover up her mint green skin and hide her bolts and seams - the normies at school wouldn't accept her if they knew she was a monster. The RADs (Regular Attribute Dodgers as the monsters like to call themselves) live amongst the normies (humans) in secrecy, blending in to avoid a witch hunt but Frankie thinks it's time for things to change. She wants the RADs to show the world their real selves - but is the world ready for them?

I was in the mood for a light hearted, fun read so Monster High seemed like the perfect choice and in a lot of ways it completely lived up to my expectations. It was funny, different from anything I've ever read and had a whole host of interesting supernatural characters. I really enjoyed trying to figure out which of the students at the school were RADs and what type of monsters they might be, a few of them were fairly obvious but there were a couple I didn't get until they revealed themselves.

I liked the fact that Frankie was so confident and proud of who she was, I completely related to her wanting to show her real self to the world and prove the normies had nothing to be afraid of. I was annoyed on her behalf by the attitude of the normies to the monster sightings and wanted to see things change. Frankie isn't the only new girl who starts at Merston High though and half of the story is told from Melody's perspective. Melody is a normie who has just moved into town with her family. She is looking forward to a new start and finally finding some friends since she never really fitted in at her old school. In a lot of ways Melody is the opposite of Frankie, she isn't comfortable with herself and doesn't feel she fits in with the rest of her family. I got the feeling that the two girls would have got along really well so I was disappointed that they didn't really speak to each other until right near the end of the book.

There were a few things that I didn't enjoy so much but to be fair that is probably more because I'm way out of the intended age range for the book than because of the story. I don't mind some teen speak in a story but in this case it completely took over and really started to irritate me. I also struggled with the amount of designer brands that were constantly name dropped, but again I've never been particularly interested in high fashion so that's probably down to personal taste. I was a bit disappointed with the abrupt ending too, I love reading series and even enjoy a good cliff hanger but Monster High seemed to stop just as the story line was starting to get interesting.

Although this wasn't my favorite read I enjoyed it enough to be looking forward to reading the second book (The Ghoul Next Door) when it releases next year. I think this series will be particularly popular with younger teens but it is one that can be enjoyed by any age as long as you're not put off by the teen speak. Monster High is the kind of story that is easy to read in one sitting so if you're looking for some light entertainment it's definitely worth giving it a try

3.0 out of 5 stars Monster High, 9 Nov 2010
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Monster High (Paperback)
Okay, hands up if you've ever wished you could be a classic monster. It'd be cool, right?! You could be Frankenstein's granddaughter, the Wolfman's cousin... I, of course, would quite like to be anyone from Dracula's bloodline (hehe), but I'm sure you guessed that already! Lisi Harrison has indulged in such an idea, complete with contemporary characters and a nod to more than one famous Hammer Horror monster. Now this is a high school I would have liked to attend!

Frankie Stein has been created by her parents, and is, you guessed it, quite similar to Frankenstein's Monster. She's sent to normie school in an attempt to fit in (which is a bit hard when you have green skin and bolts in your neck), but instead she ends up finding out she isn't the only RAD (Regular Attribute Disorder) in town. Her new friends include Draculaura, Lagoona Blue and Claudine, who all have such brilliant names that it's hard not to like them. Monster High is chock full of subtle and not-so-subtle references to horror films of old, and also proves how contemporary it is by name-dropping such acts as Lady Gaga.

Like The Clique for a slightly younger, horror-savvy reader, Monster High is fun, bitchy and stylish. The girls all experience romance and the (mundane) obstacles that accompany it, though they have even more to worry about than their wardrobe. I really liked the general idea of Monster High, though I didn't fall head over heels in love with the characters. They were cool, and I was interested in their lives, but I don't feel like I cared enough about any of them. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be with an ensemble cast, but even leading lady Frankie didn't fully convert me to the dark side. Maybe book 2 will let me connect with the characters more... here's hoping!

If you're looking for a younger read with kooky protagonists and an appreciation for 1930s movie horror heroes, then Monster High could be the book for you. Expect lots of drama and teen talk, along with the coolest high school in recent literature. If Draculaura was real, we'd so be BFFs -- any friend of vampires is a friend of mine!

4.0 out of 5 stars Common love story, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Monster High (Paperback)
I gave 4 stars because of common teens' love story.
So, I noticed that people who read these books wrote that they are full of sexual content. Well, yes, but not that much. Actually this serie is marked as YOUNG ADULTS FICTION, so I don't understand why moms read these books to little girls... It is obviously for teens and young adults, about boys, dating, love and school life.
Well, since I just wanted to read some easy book, I was contented. I liked the idea of book, romance and just easy reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars brand new book, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Monster High (Paperback)
The book was listed as very good condition
arrived fast, absolutely new .........so very happy
my daughter was very excited, already read it
I will also order no 2,3 and 4

5.0 out of 5 stars fast delivery, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Monster High (Paperback)
Ordered for my daughter for world book day as she wanted to dress as monster high but had to dress as character from book they reading and do a review so great price and good book

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Monster High (Paperback)
my little one loves reading now because of these books and it has helped her with her reading as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Monster High (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the next one one of my favourite books I recommend it for ages 10 and over.

3.0 out of 5 stars a gift, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Monster High (Paperback)
Not really my scene, but my daughterr was happy with waht she got, thanks for a book that keeps her Quiet

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Monster High (Kindle Edition)
It's a a great story for teenagers and older children. I would recommend it to a lot of people I know.

4.0 out of 5 stars monster highbook, 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: Monster High (Paperback)
this was bought for my granddaughter as a Christmas present and she loved it.it is a good buy for the money and the delivery time was good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Monster High
Monster High by Lisi Harrison (Paperback - 2 Sep 2010)
5.59