5.0 out of 5 stars True to form
True to form Kelley Armstrong has written an amazing sequel to book 1 The Gathering. Kelley is able to develop her characters in amazing ways and its great to see the flaws of characters not be shied away from.
Published on 30 Mar 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing.
Published on 26 July 2012 by ReadWriteReviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars True to form, 30 Mar 2012
Amazon Customer (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Calling: Darkness Rising: Book 02 (Paperback)
The story itself continues following Maya's discovery of what she is and the truth behind her home at Salmon Creek. Maya and her friends escape from the forest fire is just the beginning of their adventures as they try to come to terms with the knowledge they have found.
Ofcourse in true 2nd book of a trilogy style, The Calling does create more questions than it answers, like what are the races of corey, nicole and hayley? and more importantly will Maya find the escapees from project genesis? and can they together get the help and the freedom they all need?

I would definately recommend this book and series to anyone who enjoys a good book. Although you could read this series by itself I would say read the Darkest Powers Trilogy first it does provide a few details that would help you understand what ahs been going on behind the scenes. And for those adult readers out there kelley's Women of the Otherworld series provides a much more detailed view of the world kelley has created.

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical Young Adult Material, 31 Mar 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Calling: Darkness Rising: Book 02 (Paperback)
As a fan of Kelley's writing, I've always loved it when she brings her skills to a new set of characters as well as allowing another generation to enjoy what she does so well. The action is crisp, the characters not only fun to be around but a gang with flaws as well as boons that allow them to feel fully fleshed. Add to this some wonderful twists as well as a good use of pace which when backed with Kelley's understanding of what a reader wants in her books, makes them one of the best Supernatural writers on the market.

Add to this a great understanding of prose and character dialogue that has a realistic bent to it and the reader really won't notice where the time goes. My only gripe is that a lot of the chase sequences felt like the resembled others that had gone before in Kelley's previous YA series, although that said, it is fun, it generates a whole lot of excitement and I really couldn't put it down. Great fun all in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good installment to a great series, 19 April 2012
This review is from: The Calling: Darkness Rising: Book 02 (Paperback)
I'm not too pleased with the beginning of this book, bad things happened that I didn't want to happen! But a Kelley book wouldn't be a Kelley book without bad stuff happening.

I enjoyed the progression of the series in this book. Maya is a very mature YA lead so she's very easy to read, a lot of YA leads are annoyingly immature and yes, I do know they're YA so they're supposed to be young but I mean annoyingly immature. Maya is a nice change from that, although it may also be that she's forced into taking a leadership role to help her friends.

I also really enjoyed the little drops of the Darkest Powers series in here, mentions of names and events and I really can't wait to see them meet up. I can almost picture how Derek will react to the new bunch of people showing up and I cannot WAIT to read that scene. Any Kelley fans will love this and any non-Kelley fans, I suggest you start with The Summoning which is Book one of the Darkest Powers series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 26 July 2012
This review is from: The Calling: Darkness Rising: Book 02 (Paperback)
Hmm, I'm such a huge fan of Kelley Armstrong and I have been for years. I love her writing style and I've read all of her books. But this book was so disappointing, it was a slap in the face, a cold bucket of water poured over my head. I cannot begin to explain my disappointment. Where has the Armstrong I've come to love gone? The book for me was really flat and rather dull. I'll elaborate more in a moment.

The Calling starts up where The Gathering ended. Maya and her friends have narrowly escaped the forest fire that one of the cabals set upon her small town. Action starts from the first chapter as their plane crash lands. This leaves Maya and her friends struggling to survive in the forest while they are trying to figure everything out. Like who is after them and what they are and why they are wanted.

I have a feeling this review will be rather short and blunt but that's how I feel about this book. From the start I knew this book was going in a direction I didn't like but because I had faith in the author I continued reading and now I'm so disappointed. The characters we met in The Gathering are now utterly flat, they're not realistic at all. They're not people they are just mechanisms used to boost the story along and I'm so gutted. In The Gathering there was so much potential but here it just falls leaving 2D characters on the page. There were no backgrounds and their emotions were the exact same throughout the whole novel. Their was no growth at all.

The book as well I think is too long. The gang spend pretty much all of it roaming a forest which is understandably under the circumstances but that's all there is. Hardly any of our questions were answered. The only thing I think we found out was what Daniel and Sam are and that is all. So most of the book is traipsing around the forest and then when we do get action scenes, they're over in seconds, leaving me confused at what had happened. Many times I had to reread a couple of pages just to see what critical information I missed the first time around. Even a matter of two paragraphs I'd lost what was happening because it was over in a sentence. I want to scream in frustration at this book, there was so much potential but it was wasted.

The ending left us at pretty much the exact same place at the start of the book. Hmm, It's so annoying. Although I didn't like this book I will read the next one as it's the last in the trilogy and hopefully then my questions will be answered.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better..., 27 April 2012
This review is from: The Calling: Darkness Rising: Book 02 (Paperback)
Unfortunately, I thought that this was poor for Kelley Armstrong's work. Although there is nothing actually wrong with the writing itself, I felt that most of the book should have been included with the previous book, The Gathering because nothing much really happens in it. I got the feeling that the publishers decided to split the Gathering up into two books so that the story could be stretched out into a trilogy, rather than being a duology or even a single work. Or if it was actually meant to be a trilogy, The Calling read like it was just an outline for a book because it is not really that fleshed out. I was a bit disappointed with the previous installment as well and was hoping that this would get better, but sadly not.

Kelley Armstrong introduces some new supernatural races that we haven't met before, but I thought that these were not well-thought out (other than Maya, Rafe and Annie's skinwalkers) because there is not enough information on them in the book. There is an incident about three quarters of the way through (I don't really want to spoil it for people here, so I won't say what happens) which doesn't really seem to fit in with the book. Rafe and Annie hardly make an appearance in the book even though in the Gathering, they were prominent characters. This probably one of the problems you get when a book is written in the first person and the characters get separated but I thought that it could have been handled better than it was.

I also thought that Sam not being a girly girl and turning out to be gay a bit disappointing and pushed. Not all tom boys are gay and it is weak to give that impression.

In comparison to other Young Adult books in this genre, it is a better read and I've noticed that the problems with Kelley Armstrong's writing have only started since she has started publishing more than one book a year, so these problems may arise from the workload she has, and although I am disappointed with this book, I will probably read the next one in the hope that it will be better. Will I read any of her books after 13, the new Nadia Stafford and the next Darkness Rising one? I'm in two minds now really.

5.0 out of 5 stars great writer, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Calling: Darkness Rising: Book 02 (Paperback)
fantastic writer.have read each and every one of her books and will continue to do so.very happy with my purchase

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 6 July 2014
Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Jun 2014
I can't atop reading Armstrong's books they are fantastic would recommend to Anyone needing a good escape into a fictional reality

5.0 out of 5 stars great series, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Calling: Darkness Rising: Book 02 (Paperback)
Kelly Armstrong is a great writer and all of her books are fab. They get you engrossed and as the series goes on you really want to read more about the characters lives and the situations the get themselves into.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 1 Mar 2014
book after book and you still feel drawn to each and every character as if you're there right beside them ....i cancelled plans to go out with friends just to start the 3rd book....and by start ,I mean read as much as I can until *responsibility* rears its ugly head!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Calling: Darkness Rising: Book 02
The Calling: Darkness Rising: Book 02 by Kelley Armstrong (Paperback - 5 April 2012)
5.59