Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 October 2012
Could not put it down! Evie is witty and engaging, the dialogue and conversations in this book are snappy, sharp and amusing. Some really chilling imagery too. I cannot recommend this book enough. Despite the fantastical nature of the supernatural element in this book, it is so well written you can take that leap of faith as a reader. The relationships formed here are touching but not sick-making.
VINE VOICEon 28 June 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a fan of Libba Bray's previous books, I was really excited about this one and it didn't disappoint. Bray does a brilliant job of taking the reader back to 1920's New York with some great characters and scenes. The supernatural twist adds another dimension to the action packed plot. I'm glad that this is a second book to follow and can't wait to read that as well.
VINE VOICEon 15 November 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For a young aduly book, this sure had me drawn in. I loved the characters, all larger than life but still believable. And the gruesome storyline had me hooked, and kept me awake at night a little as it was so well written, it gave me the heebie jeebies. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to the next one in the series!
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The diviners is a beast of a book at almost 600 pages long. Make sure you've cleared a day or two to read it!

For me the book had several things that were really interesting for me as a reader.

Firstly I loved the historical side of the novel. As a reader you find yourself completely immersed in the world of 1920s America and all the glitz and glamour of the flappers and speakeasies. The historian in me delighted in this completely.

I loved Evie completely. She's such a teenager with all her rebelliousness ways wanting to go off partying hard every night and coming home early hours of the morning. I loved following her story and seeing the way she reacts as the story goes on. I really loved getting to know more about her abilities and the way she used them to help with the murder mystery at the centre of the story.

The main part of the story centres around a murder mystery with a twist as it becomes apparently that something out of the ordinary is involved with a series of murders happening across the city. Without giving too much away I loved finding out more about the mystery and then the further twists and revelations that came afterwards.

An awesome start to what promises to be a fantastic series and one of the few books I will make an effort to reread sooner rather than later.
on 12 July 2013
Mmm the Diviners, what to say? It was a bit of a slow burner, but as it went on the growth in the characters made the story itself more intriguing and I couldn't put it down. If you do choose to read it, stick with it gets better as I goes along - can't wait for the next book in the series.
on 22 October 2012
Mysterious, mischievous and magical. A great read from start to finish. I read this whilst on holiday and I honestly couldn't put it down. Easily readable story and I am looking forward to reading more from this author.
on 31 August 2013
I liked this book even if it took me a while to read it, which is something that normally doesn't happen! The story was interesting and very intriguing! I'm looking forward for book two!
on 14 April 2014
It's the cat's pajamas! I love the authentic feel of the twenties slang. It's like Flapper Buffy with Unc as Giles and Theta, Mabel and the boys as the Scooby Gang. More please, Libba.
on 7 November 2012
Caroline for [...]
Hardback received from publisher in exchange for an honest review, Audiobook own copy

To the inhabitants of Zenith, Ohio, Evie O'Neill is just `Too Much', sentiments with which Evie heartily agrees; too much for the small minds of her small hometown. She will show them, she is going to make a name for herself, be `a somebody' and New York City is exactly where she is meant to be. All she needs to do now is prove to stuffy old "Unc" Will, just how indispensible she is, even if that means rustling up interest in her uncle's dusty old museum and assisting him in the investigation of the gruesome Pentacle murders. The only question now is how much should she reveal about her mysterious powers and the unique perspective they afford her.

I have complicated feelings for Evie. Evie is a good time girl, brash and single-mindedly to the point of selfishness, she doesn't consider the consequences of her actions and at times I felt like I want to reach in to the pages of the book and shake some sense of her. But then she would give you a glimpse of the deep hurt and vulnerability beneath the brash, roughed façade, a flash of brilliance, of quick thinking intelligence, a backbone of steely courage and an innate sense of right and wrong. I found myself loving Evie, because of her faults not in spite of them.

While Evie, is undoubtedly the main protagonist of The Diviners, the majority of the story line being narrated from her third person perspective, such care is taken with the introduction of each of the additional players that by the end of this installment instead of a list of supporting characters, we are gifted with a large ensemble cast, irrecoverably tied to each other and unknowing racing towards a greater purpose. I can't help referring to the protagonists as a cast. The descriptive narrative, the sprawling scenes taking in swathes of New York City and the frequently changing third person perspective gave the book a very cinematic feel.

Like a good horror movie, The Diviners was accompanied by an eerie soundtrack track, an ominous warning, a creepy nursery song, the merest hint of which was able to catch my breath and accelerate my pulse.

Libba Bray is the master of creepy. Crafting a story that managed to maintain a baseline of lip biting unease throughout the entire duration of the book, punctuated with fight or flight inducing, sweaty palmed, stomach twisting, heart in mouth horror.

One of the main attractions of the book was the 1920's setting. For me thoughts of this era inspire images of bobbed haired beauties, draped in pearls on the arms of dapper young men, visiting jazz clubs and drinking cocktails. While the glamour and the sparkle were certainly evident, I was pleasantly surprised at the parallels with our own society. The vilification of our hooded youth as reflected in the disapproval of the flappers. While the heartbreak of young men misled into conflict, returning broken and unsupported, the reconciliation of faith, belief and ethics with ever advancing technological developments, and fame culture are still very relevant to our culture to this day.

I have to admit that as in many areas of my life, I am Glutton for books, devouring whole novels in just a few sittings. At 600 pages, The Diviners is the kind of book that can't be easily gobbled, the sheer number of pages combined with the weight of it conspire against the book glutton.

Feeding my gluttonous urges, I called upon my multitasking skills, and downloaded the audio book. My intention was to alternate between the crisp paper pages in the evening and the audiobook as I went about my daily life of housework, school runs, commuting and dog walks. I found narrator, January LaVoy's performance totally engaging and absorbing. So much so that I found that I quickly favored listening to the audiobook and put the paper edition to one side. The Diviners audiobook was the perfect accompaniment to my urban strolls in the fading evening light and crisp autumnal air.

Under LaVoy's guardianship, each character was bestowed with a distinctive aural voice, which beautifully complemented the character voices created by Bray and the images I'd already begun to formulate in my minds eye. The production value was exceptional, suffering from none of the skipped passages and repeats I have come across in some audiobooks.

The Diviners suited a slower, savored read. Libba beautifully weaves together so many intricate and unique story threads, that you want to slow down and take note of each new colour and texture in its own right before enjoying its contribution to the overall tapestry of the book and, what promised to be a fantastically gripping, series.

That isn't to say that the book wasn't a well-paced page turner. Instead of the book lovers chant of "just one more page" I found myself walking just one more block. I even volunteered to take the dog for her morning walk, deserting my duvet and braving the early morning frost, just so I could squeeze in a little more listening time each day.

Verdict: I finished The Diviners with the overall impression of a fantastically creepy and satisfying read, but also with the excited anticipation that it was just the first step in Bray's master plan.
on 25 October 2012
What a great read, it kept me gripped to the end. I didnt want it to finish, I shall be buying the next in the series.