1,599 Reviews
 (1,161)

5.0 out of 5 stars I want more!!!
OKay, so I am 27 years old and was an original "I am not bothered about some tortured teenage romance story! I am a Grown Up!"....but once I read Twilight I was hooked. I have now read all 4 of the series and Breaking Dawn was the best. In Eclipse we left off with Bella & Edward arranging their Marriage (well, Alice was) and were looking forward to seeing them live...
Published on 13 Jan. 2009 by Barbara Hughes-hudson

3.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Dawn
I never thought I would read a vampire romance in a million years, but my friends kept urging me to read them! So I did! I really enjoyed Twilight book one, it was like a contemporary Pride and Prejudice with blood! As a reader, Meyer has a way of drawing you into Bella and Edward's romance. When I was reading the book, I couldn't stop thinking about Bella and Edward. I...
Published on 6 Oct. 2010 by C. Y. Cheri

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 9 Aug. 2010
All the books in this series are well written, but what it really lacked was an explosive ending, and a more challenging plot.

Questions:
Why was Bella so eager to become a vampire? Yes I know she was obsessed with Edward, but she never challenged herself to fight for her own humanity, never tried to find a way to level the playing field and remain a human. What could she not live without? Did she really want to become a killer? Should she have ended the relationship in the end to save herself?

Where was her struggle to tame her bloodthurst when she did become a vampire?
Yes she had mental strength - how convenient, but she could have at least struggled to control herself, discovering a few deeper things about herself along the way, maybe regreted becoming a vampire when she wanted to kill someone! Have to come to terms with what she had become.

Why did nobody lose their temper and start a fight with the Volturi. Testing all the characters in the final pages? The minor characters of Vladimir and Stefan could easily have been the catalysts.

I really found myself disliking all the main characters by the end of the book. I agree with other reviewers - Jacob should have found a different love interest to Renesmee - a new teenage character could have been introduced - Bella could have felt jealous for a change! Anything instead of the horrible idea of Bella's child being Jake's imprint.

So I'm left disappointed. What promised to be a challenging and euphoric final to the series was a farce.

I think anyone who has invested their time reading the previous books should feel let down by a terrible ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Ending to an Excellent Series that Transcended Genres, 22 April 2009
Elkensteyin (Northern Virginia) - See all my reviews
I was a bit hesitant to read the Twilight series simply due to the fact that I'm not always comfortable reading a book in 1st person format. However, I shouldn't have concerned myself. I truly enjoyed the Twilight series, as they were written incredibly well. And this book was easily the best in the series, although Twilight (book 1) comes pretty close. The only two negatives I will state in the book are 1) it was poorly written; and 2) the whole thing with the imprinting was fairly repugnant.

It's also surprising that I liked them, as I absolutely HATE Romeo and Juliet, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, etc. However, the auther did an excellent job of not allowing any silly tragic love story to get out of hand. Just enough to keep it interesting, but not so much that it took over an otherwise excellent story.

As for the specifics of the story, I won't give anything away, but I'll try to break it down a bit: The book is essentially in three parts.

# Book one is still in Bella's point of view, and she's still human. It talks of her marriage, honeymoon and pregnancy.

# Book two was in Jacob's view and talks about Bella's pregnancy, the rift between the wolves, the birth of Bella and Edwards child, and describes how Edward turns her. Personally, I could have done without this section, as I totally hated Jacob's character throughout the entire series, athough the section where Edward turns Bella (FINALLY) was pretty good.

# Book three begins with Bella in the process of turning, and go on to talk about her first couple of months as a Vampire. This section is easily the best part of the entire series, and the first few chapters of this section were actually some of the best reading I've ever encountered, and that's saying something. It shows how absolutely happy she is and how extraordinarily powerful she becomes.

All in all, a fantastic series with an even better ending. Yes, I know how so many people are upset in how everyone got what they wanted. So what! It may not be practical, but we're talking supernatural here, anyway, so so what. This is the way a series should end!

One other thing I need to state: This series transcended two very distinct genres: Science Fiction/Fantasy and Romance. Not easy to do well, but the author did do it well. However, here's the catch - the first three books were pretty much romance novels with a bith of Vampire/Werewolf fantasy thrown in. The fourth book, however, was the complete opposite. It was essentially a fantasy book with a bit of romance thrown in. Now for those sci-fi readers like me, it was an excellent happenstance, as we got through the first three books however we may, the fourth one was a nice desert. However, for the romancer readers who read the first three books with adoration, the fourth one might just seem as a pretty big comedown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly no longer for teens........., 17 April 2009
I have spent the last two days reading the Twilight Saga for the first time. I was attracted to the series after enjoying the film. I must be clear that at the moment I am 38, and I agree with other reviewers that Breaking Dawn in particular seems to appeal to older readers.

Of all the books, my favourite one is Breaking Dawn and in particular, the final third where Bella makes her transformation. The enjoyment for me is Stephenie Meyers' talented ability to draw you so completely into her narrative. I felt as though I was actually there when Bella changed and laughed at the wit in the next few paragraphs talking through her first hours. I was sorry to see so little of Edward after her change, she became the complete focus and he and the rest of the Cullens became background. Perhaps Ms Meyer will give us a bonus chapter of this period from Edwards perspective if and when she completes Midnight Sun.

So sorry, I don't agree with the negatives out there. I thought Breaking Dawn was an excellent way of ending the series that was so compelling. There are millions of books out there and as I grow older, I find it harder to find authors that I enjoy. So many people have jumped on the Harry Potter bandwagon that a lot of weak stories are out there. I am very glad I did not get into this series earlier and was able to enjoy all 4 in a row. If you are looking for 2 solid days of laughs, tears and entertainment, you cannot go wrong with The Twilight Saga. Every characters voice is strong and clear and in many cases laugh out loud funny. I am looking forward to the remaining films too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much ruined the series for me, sadly, 8 Sept. 2011
S. Williams (Finland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking Dawn: Twilight, Book 4: 4/4 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
This review WILL contain spoilers. Please skip if this is an issue for you.

Although at 28, I'm hardly in the target audience for the Twilight books, I must say I immensely enjoyed the first book in the series. The second one was a bit blah whereas the third one picked up again. Looking back, I should've left it at that.

Don't get me wrong, Breaking Dawn is not all bad. The first part, told from Bella's perspective, is lovely. Part 2 with Jacob is worse, and part 3 (with Bella again) is where things get really bad.

What intrigued me about the previous books in the series was the intense, burning love between Bella and Edward, the care and tenderness that they showed (had to show) for each other to sustain the relationship and each other. Sadly, all of that pretty much goes out the window in Part 3 of Breaking Dawn.
Admittedly, the author was painting herself into a corner from the get-go: the tension and intrigue was certain to be lost once the star-crossed lovers were married and particularly once Bella becomes a vampire and loses her human fragility. Still, the way they seem to turn from eternal lovers into semi-platonic parents who sneak away at night for a romp seems to happen literally overnight. The romance dies in a blink of an eye. I guess this is kind of reflective of real life, but still, a huge disappointment.
I was not the least bit interested in the descriptions of them doting on their daughter while patting each other on the back supportively. This is particularly true of Bella who is even described as not being able to take her eyes off their daughter to gauge Edward's reaction to something. YAWN.

Secondly, which is nearly as bad, the description of the "newborn" Bella is so absurd and over the top that it's almost self-ironic. There's not a speck of realism in any of it, and the mundane conflict between the human Bella and the world of the vampires that was a hallmark of the earlier books (and made them if not plausible, at least believable) is simply gone. The "new" Bella is annoyingly perfect in every way: beautiful and strong, immediately able to control her immortal urges, a natural mother at 18 of a miracle child that never seems to be anything but happy and content. Oh, and her father is suddenly and unexpectedly OK with the whole vampire and werewolf scheme as well. Not to mention the sugary-sweet cottage and a flippin' sports car that she receives for her birthday. Gag. She's an empty shell and very uninteresting.

The much talked-about sexual references did not bother me at all; there is nothing direct or graphic in the book, much of it is alluded to only. Still, with the romance gone, the sex scenes seem crass and unnecessary. In contrast, the description of Edward and Bella's honeymoon in the first part of the book is very sweet.

All in all, I think the author really shot herself in the foot here, ruining the characters to a point where I am no longer interested in revisiting the first three Twilight books despite enjoying them before. I don't know what she was thinking.

2.0 out of 5 stars Clumisly Written, 12 Aug. 2008
**Contains very mild spoilers**

Breaking Dawn is the massively anticipated fourth book in the popular Twilight series written by Stephenie Meyer. The story picks up where the previous book, Eclipse, finishes with the main character, Bella, looking forwards to her future life with her fiancé, a vampire.

Considering the popularity of this series there has been an understandable amount of hype and excitement surrounding Breaking Dawn. Unfortunately, as the book progresses it becomes increasingly obvious that it was never going to be the classic that many fans had anticipated. In the previous three books in the series, Meyer has shown that she is an author not afraid to tackle difficult subject matter and potentially controversial attitudes. This is something that she continues to do in Breaking Dawn though with noticeably less success. While never the most subtle writer, what subtly was there seems to be missing and this may have something to do with what at times feels like shoddy editing. There are plot holes, significant continuity errors, and not infrequently typos. Characterisation occasionally seems off and Meyer tears apart the universe that she created in order to rework it to include a whole new set of `rules'. The genre of the book seems to change halfway through.

Ironically, Breaking Dawn is often a more entertaining read than the previous books. There are more twists and turns, more interesting new characters (both minor and major), and we even get to see the events for the perspective of more than one character (unlike with the other books). Meyer works hard to justify the significant changes that she has made to the `rules' of the Twilight universe, with explanations that, while factually impossible in places, are entertaining all the same. Unfortunately, what makes the books entertaining also leaves it feeling unbalanced to read. The exciting revelations about Bella are interrupted by `Book Two', which is told entirely from Jacob's perspective and while interesting at times feels an entirely different story as he tackles (at length) events that might have been dealt with far quicker. Furthermore, what should have been an exciting final climax to the book is almost turned into a footnote by events which occur several chapters (and many pages) earlier.

This brings us to one other issue with Breaking Dawn: it is simply too long. At 768 pages it is over a hundred pages longer than any of the previous instalments and this is evident in the lulls in pace and overly flowery descriptions that are scattered through the book. Unlike the other Twilight novels that are renowned for their readability, Breaking Dawn drags at times.

Breaking Dawn is a good read. At times it is even a very good read. Poor editing and occasionally dubious content aside, the problem with it is that the reader is too frequently expected to suspend disbelief and accept significant changes to the world that Meyer has previously created. With a following which dedicates itself to learning every facet of that world this book was always going to receive a mixed reception.

1.0 out of 5 stars TWI-not-to-read-IT, 31 July 2011
I am writing this review even though hundreds have proceeded me because I was so disappointed with Breaking Dawn and the large number of unrepresentative positive reviews that fooled me into thinking that this would be a great buy. I was also unable to put down the book but only because I had to finish what I'd started when I came across the first Twilight instalment.

I liked the first three Twilight books enough to read them in 16 hours even though (like Rowling) Meyer is only good enough to keep me turning the pages without any comment on her female-subjugation, pro-marriage, anti-petting and pro-life messages that would normally have me ditch a book without finishing it.

Breaking Dawn, however, is the worst fiction book that I have ever read - it took me 10 hours to read despite skipping a lot of pages in books I and III; although I did read all of book II as it appears to have been written by an un-credited co-author with a little more respect for the creative process.

I am flabbergasted that BD was published. It's as if Meyer wanted to meet the terms of her contract a la Prince/ Symbol and churned out rubbish. The quality of her work reflects poorly upon her; and the publishers ought to be ashamed at allowing the book to proceed to press in first draft format.

I loved the films that this series spawned (saying something that the film franchise is better than the books) and my only hope of preserving my affection for Meyer's universe was that the studio would least deviate away from Meyer's pro-paedophilia vision. But, having seen the promo trailers that appear to faithfully depict the wedding and honeymoon, my hope is dwindling.

What a shabby way to kill a great creation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but rushed and unbelievable, 11 Mar. 2010
D. Markham "Calmarsi" (UK) - See all my reviews
I never found this saga particularly well written or believable in any way, but they were still enjoyable. I also found this last instalment enjoyable, but it was totally rushed and the characters seemed to lose a lot of their charm and personality. Bella goes from being well, Bella, to almost a side character during the middle of the book! Events seemed to just go on around her when she was pregnant. (Which I don't think should be possible...Edward being a vampire and all =.= seems a bit too unrealistic) and if Carlisle already KNEW this could happen...WHY DIDN"T HE TELL THEM FIRST?! Edward also goes from being calm/controlled Edward to sappy, suicidal and just annoying Edward =.= At least Jacob stayed true to his character, until everything was all too quickly resolved after he imprints on Nessie....Bella's child. I know I am not the only one who thinks this was just Meyer taking the easy way out to stop the love triangle between Bella, Jacob and Edward. I also found it a tad sick...like....he loved Bella but then just suddenly doesn't anymore and loves a baby instead.

I didn't really like Bella's dramatic character change from human to vampire. Nobody's personality should change that much...I mean I know she's a different species, but she just changed so much that it wasn't her anymore. I also found that the Cullens, apart from Edward, were fairly absent from the story line, apart from occasionally Rosalie who was there just to play mother to Bella's kid!

This brings me to the last point that annoyed me the most: big gathering of vampires that took chapters upon chapters to assemble vs. Volturi and witnesses. I was expecting some fighting, some action or at least some tension! But no; the tension was that of a tea party =.= They had a little chat, and Jane tried to launch her telepathic death mojo on them....but nothing happens because Bella's power 'conveniently' allows her to shield all of the party from her attacks =.= The volturi are then like...oh no, why isn't it working, more talking, Nessie touches Aro and he decides that they're all telling the truth and they pack up and go home, and they all live happily ever after! I mean...Puh-lease! I wanted a happy ending, but not one this...this convenient!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars shockingly dull and disappointing read, what a damp squib of a book!, 5 July 2009
L. Bretherton "dempie" (Tiverton, Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I honestly do NOT get these rave reviews that people have been posting. Like a FEW others, I will try to give an honest review. I LOVED "Twilight" and read the rest of the series with avid anticipation. However, although I liked book 2, book 3 was a little bit drawn out, and book 4 is frankly, a real struggle to get through. Yes, it all starts out quite exciting, with Bella transforming into a vampire, marrying Edward and giving birth to a child, but after that point, it becomes SO DULL. The second half of the book is all based at the Cullen's house, and consists of a huge build-up to the battle of all battles, with the Volturi against the Cullens and all their mates (who are named endlessly, page after page of NAMES). However, in the end, things turn out somewhat differently, with little action and a lot of wasted paper, in my opinion. Also, Edward's character is not developed at all in this book, he is mostly just standing around thinking. There is no contact with the outside world, other than one visit from Charlie. There is a ridiculous subplot involving Jacob, which is just too twee for words. I honestly feel I have wasted my money on this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's no Twilight..., 12 July 2010
I am one of the many "thirty-something" Twilight fans - dragged reluctantly to the first book by enthusiastic friends, then suddenly becoming a fanatic overnight. Like many, I found the first novel in the saga to be an enchanting, captivating and beautifully conceived tale with an appeal for all ages and I have to say that I liked each of the 4 books in the saga a little less than the one previous. And so to Breaking Dawn...

The novel is divided into three "books" - the first narrated by Bella, the second by Jacob and the third by Bella again. I have to say, that I loved the first "book" of BD, and as with all three previous novels, literally couldn't put it down. There is a great deal in Book One of BD to gratify the expectations that have been building in the first three novels and, for those in the "Team Edward" camp, prepare yourself to heave plenty of wistful sighs.

And therein lies the problem. I believe that the success of the Twilight saga is predominantly in the painfully unconsummated sexual tension between Edward and Bella, which (Edward would have us believe) is a situation that must remain as long as Bella is human, due to his fear of hurting, or even killing her. For me, the intense vampire/human frisson is entirely pivotal to the saga's appeal.

The second two "books" of Breaking Dawn move on from the central themes of the love story mentioned above and become a soft horror/thriller/fantasy tale; and I have to admit that most of my interest waned after the crucial events of the novel had occurred. After Book One of BD, there is none of the delicate subtlety of the previous novels which completely captured my imagination and made me fall in love with something I would never normally dream of reading. On the plus side, I liked that Stephenie Meyer experimented with using Jacob's voice in this novel; and I think it worked well. Also - I thought that the last crucial event that Bella experiences (depicted at the start of Book Three and narrated by Bella herself) was extremely well written and, as with the earlier pivotal scenes, Meyer did not let down the fans that have been anticipating these moments since Twilight.

There is quite a lot in this novel specifically that didn't sit well with me - primarily the new main character and Jacob's involvement in this plot line, which I thought was awkward, clunky and strange. I also feel that Edward's characterisation weakened from Eclipse onwards as he seems to have lost the witty, sardonic edge that was part of his charm and becomes a bit of a doormat. With regard to the saga as a whole; given Meyer's target teen audience, I feel she could have done a lot more to promote a few healthier messages - a couple of characters with an orientation other than heterosexual perhaps (maybe some of the vampires who are introduced in BD?) and less preoccupation with wealth and physical beauty.

Having said all this, I still read BD in a matter of days and enjoyed it more than most books I've read in recent years. Nothing will top Twilight itself for me though, and I think that Meyer was a victim of her own genius in attempting in the three subsequent novels to recreate its very special magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars One word: Amazing! *NO SPOILERS* for those of you who havn't read it yet!, 6 Aug. 2008
Elizabeth (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
Breaking Dawn is a fitting end to the story of Bella, Edward and Jacob, and all the other characters we have come to know and love. Meyer really has a way with words, painting a scene exquisitly without boring the pants off the reader with too much detail! It is a very long book, and in fact it has three 'mini' books within, from the viewponts of Bella, Jacob, and then Bella again repectively, and yet I felt that every word was required, and I actually wanted more and more - I didn't want to let go of the story, and I read the whole book in one sitting (losing some sleep along the way too). The POW switch to Jacob is interesting, if not a tad irritating at first, because the reader gets that much more of an insight to is suffering and (in his mind) rightful hatred of the 'bloodsuckers'.

There are lots and lots of unexpected twists and turns in BD (perhaps a reason for some of the very harsh reactions against Breaking Dawn - it's not the book many fans expected it to be, however for me it had everything I expected and more, so surely that's a bonus?), with new plot lines and ideas, and new and old characters; in particular, I really felt that the reader comes to know the Cullen family properly, and to love them too. They have always been interesting minor characters in the previous three books (with the exception of Alice perhaps-she was always more of a major character), but in BD they all come to life beautifully.

Some readers would argue that the characters change personalities in BD, Bella in particular; I would say rather that all that she has been through is finally making its mark. She goes through two life-changing events in this book, and comes out all the more stronger for it. She was always stubborn, and I found that her personality developed and sharpened, which seemed a more natural development than if she had stayed exactly the same as the Bella we all know and love in the previous three books.
Other characters that undergoe a welcome development and grow from the 2 dimensional characters that they were before, are Jasper and Leah. We get an insight into both of their actions and behaviour in the previous books, and I for one found Jasper to be all the likeable instead of the cautious and slightly indifferent character we were faced with in Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse.

Not so much as a review from this point but a bit of a rant:
I really don't know why everyone hates the book so much! I think Stephenie Meyer is a victim of her own success, with fans writing their own version of events in their heads and developing Bella and Edward into people that that they never were! I'm not saying the BD is perfect, and neither were the previous 3 books in my opinion, but the characters behave exactly how you would expect them to, in accordance to how Meyer has portrayed them and bulit them up in the previous novels. They are S Meyer's creation, so she can do what she wants with them.

I knew a few spoilers before I read the book, so maybe I enjoyed it more because I was expecting less...there are some aspects of the book that I understand that some people might be less than happy with, with some scenes a bit more graphic than people might be used to. I personally wasn't offended by them and actually thought they added to the tension and drama of the plot, but I know this isn't the same for all readers.
I do, however, truely believe that the plot follows the only path it can (at the risk of sounding corney. I'm trying really hard not to give spoilers here people-harder than you think).
SM knew the outcome of the saga before she even wrote Twilight, and I think that that really shows: everything really comes together at the end, and I could really imagine how life would continue for all the characters beyond the pages. Some people were upset by the 'neat little package', but Hello? reality check: It's a book for teenagers (mostly) and it's S Meyer's first venture as an author; who wouldn't want to exert the power of the creator and make sure everything turns out just the way you want it to?
Sorry, I know im going a bit off the point here, but I can't help it, and if you enjoy BD as much as I did then you'll feel the same! NB: I was fully prepared to hate the book btw, I'm not giving it 5 stars just beacuse so many people have slated it! It deserves every one in my opinion.

Also, just to say, some people have been making a huge fuss about really small things, such as a name and a nickname for example, and I really think that's unfair on Stephenie! Yes, the nickname is a bit...well, yes, stupid, but the characters of the book themsleves admit this! It's not like they're living in a hunky dory world picking flowers and watching rainbows. The main characters react EXACTLY how they should act, and if anyone who's read the previous three books would know their personalities by now and should recognise that as truth. I think people should stop pasting their own faces over Bella and imaginag how they would have done things differently, and just accept that what Bella does is a consequense of her personality!
Not that it isn't a bit annoying but hey...

And back to the review...:
Anyway, enough of the rant. If you cancel your order, or decide not to give 'Breaking Dawn' a chance to even win you over as the other three books have done, all because of some stupid spoilers and rumours and bad reviews, then you will be missing a stunning conclusion to the saga. I'm still thinking about the book now, and when I finished it I actually sat in silence, in awe, for a few moments...please keep an open mind and enjoy BD like it deserves to be enjoyed!! Thank you :)

Breaking Dawn: Twilight, Book 4: 4/4 (Twilight Saga)
Breaking Dawn: Twilight, Book 4: 4/4 (Twilight Saga) by Stephenie Meyer (Paperback - 19 Aug. 2010)