5.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel!
I'm going to try and write this review the best I can without spoiling it for you all BUT if your not sure please don't continue.

Published 4 months ago by Book Passion for Life

3.0 out of 5 stars ok but ...
Wolfsbane was one of the sequels coming out this year that I was looking forward to the most having loved the first book but I'm sorry to say it didn't quite meet with my expectations.

Published on 26 July 2011 by Kirsty at the Overflowing Library

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars ok but ..., 26 July 2011
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

I probably should have reread the first book again before starting on this book but I really didn't have the time to do so. This meant that I spent the first 50 - 100 pages playing catch up trying to work out who everyone was and what had been happening in the previous book. You really do just get thrown back in at the deep end with it.

The first chunk of the book I found to be quite slow. It's all finding out more background to the wolves and the the mythology behind the packs and planning for the next attack. There was also a complete lack of Ren for the majority of the book which i didn't like as I loved him as a character in the first book. I really did find myself losing interest at this point and was close to giving up on the series entirely and had I not completely loved the first book I probably would have.

That said there were bits of this book that I did love. I loved Shay and Calla together (or not as the case may be) and the tension built up between them was awesome. When the action does kick off it is awesome and I loved seeing the wolves back in action once they got going. The end of the book was awesome and I am once again left on a cliff hanger dying to know what happens next.

All in all I would argue that this book suffered from "middle-book-in-a-seriesness". I am still desperate to find out how the whole series goes but I was left at times a bit bored waiting for something to happen. My advice - read them back to back to keep all the various elements fresh in your head so that you enjoy it more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel!, 22 Jun 2014
Book Passion for Life (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wolfsbane: Number 2 in series (Nightshade Trilogy) (Paperback)

I couldn't believe my luck when I won a copy of this book off Andrea Cremer on Twitter. Yes people! Twitter! You know, I now love Twitter that much more. ;) Anyway....I've been eagerly awaiting this book since reading Nightshade and let me say, this book didn't disappoint.

Wolfsbane starts with Calla waking up in the home of her enemy; the Searchers. Believing she is will be killed, she is shocked when she is made an offer. An offer to help the Searchers take down her masters giving her the one thing she's wanted....freedom. After years of being told the Searchers were the enemy, Calla finally learns the truth and now much faces the choices of choosing her own destiny.

I loved it! Just loved it! Andrea Cremer blew me away the first time and she's done it again. Wolfsbane was everything I could of wanted. It's pretty fast paced with information from the start and we finally find out the truth about the Keepers, Searchers and Guardians. I won't go into to much detail about that but it was really interesting to read about, a lot of the blanks from the first book are answered. I loved that we finally get to see what life on the "enemy" side is like and the fact that we see just how evil the Keepers really are.

We also get introduced to a few new characters Connor, Monroe, Adne & Ethan, ones that I took and instant liking too. I found them great to read about especially with the banter and jokes between them all. The story itself was exciting, entertaining, action packed and I found I could of just kept on reading and reading. There was also a few sad times, one that completely shocked me but I'm not going to spoil it and second was Ansel's situation.... them Keepers are just nasty. I do hope it gets sorted.

The relationship between Calla & Shay, well....lets just say things get a lot hotter between them BUT, for you Shay fans, I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet because I felt there wasn't really any improvement to their relationship. I thought after the first book Calla had pretty much chosen Shay but she is more confused than ever in this book with who she should be with. To all you Ren fans, SORRY but Ren's pretty absent for the whole book, he's more of a supporting role. We mainly see him in Calla's thoughts, and as I said she is more than confused right now. With me, sitting on the fence with Team Ren & Team Shay I'm actually really excited to see how both relationships are played out in the next book. Oooh I'm also really looking forward to seeing if anything happens between Sabine and Ethan ;)

I do believe that Wolfsbane has been set up just right for Bloodrose. I enjoyed the ending and I can't even imagine where this third book is going to lead us but I'm praying there is happy ending.

Guys, I hope I've made some sense during this review, lol but when you've read Wolfsbane PLEASE find me! I can't wait to talk to you all about it :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel to this Trilogy, 13 Sep 2014
After reading the first book in this Trilogy, it didn't disappoint. It was completely different to other novels and I thoroughly enjoyed the read. I look forward to reading the finale.

Fully recommend to YA Lovers of Paranormal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 25 Aug 2014
I will start by saying, I will try not to spoil this book, because it is amazing!!!
The book starts with calla ill from weapons of the searchers, their born enemies. Calls has already killed one searcher who we find out to be methane brother.
But I am sad to say the start was painfully slow, and nothing much happened. If I had rated the first half of the book, I would have struggled to give it a three, unfortunately, but the next half was so gripping I would give it ten thousand stars. Calla's brother was found but he was different, can't tell you why, and then calls sets out to find the pack that she had abandoned and the rest, you'll have to read to find out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Human to Wolf and back again, 23 Aug 2013
You really need to read the first book in this series, Nightshade: Number 1 in series otherwise it will be difficult to pick up the plot.

Wolfsbane is the second book in the "Nightshade" Trilogy. Calla Tor, continues her adventures and the love triangle resumes. Calla wakes up in the den of her sworn enemies - the `Searchers'. She is convinced that her days are about to end, when then the Seachers make her an offer - one that gives her the opportunity to destroy her former masters and save her pack; but how will Shay and Ren, (the two sides of the love triangle) react? Will Ren be worth the price of her freedom and will Shay stand by her. Will true love survive? Calla is convinced that everything will work out fine, but is aware that the fight to get what she wants will be difficult. So the adventure begins, but things don't turn out quite as easily as Calla had anticipated.

I really enjoyed the first book in the series, but this one seemed to drag a little and was a little boring in places. Also there wasn't a great deal of substance in the plot. In addition, the character of Shay was pretty annoying and it looks like he is turning out to be a control freak which I'm not sure Calla will be able to cope with. We certainly don't find out the answers to these questions in this book, but hopefully the final book in the Trilogy - Bloodrose: Number 3 in series (Nightshade) which is out now, will reveal all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 15 Jun 2013
Originally posted on www.justthisteenager.blogspot.co.uk! Visit for more reviews!
Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer follows Calla's journey now that she has been taken by the Searchers, the people she has always been told are her enemies. It weaves a seductive tale further complexing the previous plot of Nightshade, bringing in histories of the Guardians, Searchers and the Keepers. Being the second book in the trilogy it serves the purpose of developing the plot from the first book, establishing new relationships, consolidating old ones and setting the scene for the last book, where as usual there is the Big Battle.

Wolfsbane has it's fair share of heartbreak - my saddest part was when Calla goes back to find Ren and we DO NOT like what we find. I grew to like Calla far more as a character through this novel as Cremer does not make her a girl who falls completely and utterly in love with her guy she ran away with, Shay, Instead Calla keeps thinking about her old friends, her 'mate' and all the things she could have lost. I really liked this as it made the novel far more interesting to read as Shay and Calla's relationship is written in stone and had many rips in it that proved troublesome at various points.... it's very nice not to have a perfect smooth fabulous relationship for once!

Check out my review on the first book, Nightshade, for character analysis of Calla, Shay and Ren. I became more fond of Calla in this book which helped me connect with the story more as well.

There was a lot of new twists in Wolfsbane with the Searchers providing new clues into the complex uprisings and lies amongst the Keeper and Guardians. Cremer manages to continue her unique twist on the paranormal continuing to create a unique story that has really has no other similar novels to the plot that I can think of. Which for me is a big plus as you do kinda get sick of reading the same generic plots no matter how well they're written. Which is a shame as it means you don't enjoy what would be a good story as much!

I enjoyed Wolfsbane more than Nightshade and for this reason it gets a 4 out of 5. It did have the 'pow' this time and I can not wait for Bloodrose to arrive from Waterstones.... then I'm getting onto the prequel series!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping reading, 16 Feb 2013
Well done to Andrea Cremer for keeping up the tension in this second of three (always hard and often not managed in my view). The pace is maintained and the developing characters and relationships aspire to be more than cliches. You just have to go on to number three straight away!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 2 Feb 2013
well written and constructed story - great for older teenage readers and those young at heart - though it's a book targetted at girls rather than universal

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely suffers from middle book symptoms, 12 Sep 2012
Superscottish (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
Having finished Nightshade, I could not wait to get my hands on Wolfsbane. However having read some of the other reviews, I was a little wary that I wouldn't enjoy this one as much.

Now having read Wolfsbane I defnitely agree that this book has some slow moments but for me the problem was not so much getting the history of the Witch Wars so much as the way it waws delivered which felt slow. I enjoyed getting to know the Characters of the Searchers (LOVE Ethan and Connor) and enjoyed the dynamic banter but it was frustrating during the background information being provide to have constant interruptions while they argued with each other and definitely slowed down the pace of the book.

I also found Shay more than a little frustrating in this book - always telling Calla what to do. Originally I really liked his character but I find his possessive behaviour in this book irrating and unattractive. Especially when Ren is not even around to compete with him.

Overall I can see why this book had so much information in it and less action and it all feels necessary to the story. If you enjoyed Nightshade I would definitely recomend reading this and then getting on to Bloodrose (which I am part way through) when the action picks up again. Not the best book in the series but still worth reading if only to learn more about the Searchers and the history of the War.

2.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!, 5 Mar 2012
[...]

I'm so disappointed with this book. I'm actually in shock with how things played out, and not in a good way. I absolutely despise Shay even more now after reading this, so the fact that Shay was mentioned on nearly every page did not make me a happy bunny. And I was so upset that there was only one Ren scene . .how disappointing :(

IMO, the first half of this book was was kinda dull, and that's putting it nicely. There was too much history and not enough action! Things only got interesting in part 2, after Calla's brother shows up. I finally got excited thinking it was maybe finally Ren-time . . but alas . . it was not to be :(

I can't even put into words how much I was looking forward to reading this. I was literally counting down the days to Wolfsbane's release. I'd pre-ordered this book for my kindle on Amazon, and I couldn't wait to start reading it, so after reading that I'm really gutted! I gave Nightshade 5/5 stars because I honestly thought it was one of the best books I've read this year, but for me, Wolfsbane did not meet Nightshade's high standards.

I will still be purchasing Bloodrose but only because of Ren because I'm firmly Team-Ren and I haven't given up hope yet!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Wolfsbane: Number 2 in series (Nightshade Trilogy)
Wolfsbane: Number 2 in series (Nightshade Trilogy) by Andrea Cremer (Paperback - 21 Feb 2012)