4.0 out of 5 stars A trio of Love stories

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on 22 Feb. 2011 by Minnie

4.0 out of 5 stars A trio of Love stories, 5 Feb. 2011
Warning this will have spoilers

The first story is about Oliver,how he is still affected by Schuyler's bite, and i really do feel for Oliver. But when i was reading it I was like don't do it Oliver don't do it! he went to the Blood house to forget....I really want to slap him real bad. but thank god he came to his senses. Also i like the cameo of one of the characters from Melissa new book series.

Second story: was about a young Allegra Van Alen and how she met Stephen Chase, I really loved this story,learning how Schuyler's were popular when Schuyler was such a wallflower. Also i felt sorry for Charles here. I really liked the sound of Bendix Chase aka Stephen Chase.

Third Story: My favourite couple, and I loved how Melissa twisted things, how it wasn't as easy as we had hoped for Schuyler and Jack to be bonded. though the one thing I hated about that story was Schuyler's dress. Sure i like the idea of her making her own one, but blue really? I always imagined her with a vintage, classic kinda lacy dress. (Some people who write fanfiction, have given Schuyler a better looking dress!) Oh and the idea of Bliss and the lacrosse crew being at their bonding...what is with that? I always imagined it being just Jack and Schuyler. Though I must say I absolutely loved the last part of that story, where Jack and Schuyler walked into the glom and he gave her a ring, (Not a flashy ring, not like i imagined no) He gave her part of his soul, and it was so touching, it made my love for Jack Force even bigger.
So yes a good read, a little too short, it would be 5 stars if it wasn't for the dress choice and the guest at the bonding. Still a great book and I suggest you get it!

Also anymore questions I am happy to answer :)

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better Blue Bloods novellas, 3 Jun. 2013
Laura Hartley (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bloody Valentine: Blue Bloods (Paperback)
Having read 'The Keys in the Repository', the previous Blue Bloods novella, and being throughly disappointed by it, I was not keen to read Bloody Valentine. The paperback blurb did not really give any indication as to what this book was about (again). I really don't understand how the blurb of every. single. book. in this series could be so bad. They are absolutely awful and giving you any sort of indication as to what really goes on in this series and this book was no exception - in fact, it was so much worse. The Goodreads summary tells you what's contained in this novella, but the blurb does not, so I was thoroughly confused as to what this book was about when I started it.

This book contains three short stories. One follows Oliver, Schuyler's best friend come conduit come familiar, as he tries to resist the power of the mark that was placed on him when they shared the 'sacred kiss'. In simple terms, Schuyler sucked Oliver's blood and now he's irrevocably in love with her (well, even more so than before). We've never really heard much about Oliver in the previous books. He always seems to be around but he's not usually the focus of the story. I've actually found him to be quite irritating with all his pining for Schuyler, but I really loved this short story about him. You get a real sense of Oliver's pain as he tries to carry on without Schuyler and it's quite touching. This is also the first, I think, story told from the perspective of a human and it was interesting to see the devastating effects that a vampire could accidentally have upon a human. This section surprised me as it made my heart flutter a little and there's a rather sexy scene.

The second short story was my favourite by far. It was about Allegra Van Allen and her time at Endiscott Academy where she meets Steven Chase. I was a little perplexed at first because she was dating a guy named 'Bendix', not Steven, and I assumed they were the same person, but I'm still not 100% sure. Either way, Bendix is a human (an uber hot human), who catches the eye of 'Gabrielle'. Her brother, Charles, is less than pleased about this given that they are bond mates but he assumes it is little more than a fleeting romance and leaves them to it. Charles is an incredibly irritating character throughout the series but especially in this novella. You do feel a small sense of sympathy for him but he comes across as a really pompous and clingy character. I loved the character of Allegra Van Alen. She's so feisty and sure of herself, I kind of wish I could be her. The romance that plays out between her and Bendix is really cute and romantic (even a bit saucy at times). I think one of the reasons I preferred this short story to the others was because it was a story with new and unexplored characters in an unfamiliar place. Instead of being at Duchesne, it's set at Endiscott and although Allegra and Charles are frequently mentioned throughout the series, we never really get to find out who they really are.

The third short story follows Jack and Schuyler as they're about to be bonded. This was probably my least favourite section, though I'm not really sure why because I thought it would be my favourite. I think perhaps I've heard too much about Jack and Schuyler's relationship and I'm slightly bored by it now because nothing new or exciting seems to be happening in it.

All in all, I really enjoyed this novella and I'd highly recommend it to any fans of the Blue Blood series. If you haven't read it yet then you'll probably find this book a bit confusing but the stories really are good. All the stories are romances, but none of them are sappy. These short stories are a refreshing break from the Blue Bloods series still using the basic outline set out in the main series.

www.whats--hot.blogspot.com

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 22 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Bloody Valentine: Blue Bloods (Paperback)
I am sorry to say (as I really like these books) that I am becoming more and more disappointed with each book that comes out. This one was so short that I managed to read the entire book during a football game on the TV. Not only was it short, most of the book was taken over by adverts for her next book or up in coming book. I am very disappointed that she can not longer write a book with out plugging something else.

The bones of the story was good, the little of it there was, but this was only a chapter not a whole book.

Once again very disappointed, will be getting the next one out from the library rather that paying full price again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 11 Feb. 2011
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Three short stories:

Oliver finds himself longing for Schuyler. He knows that she's gone, possibly forever, and yet...he's in so much pain. He can't get her out of his head. Then he meets Freya. She might have the power to break the bond between Oliver and Schuyler.

Allegra doesn't feel right after what happened in Florence. At the moment, Charles is her twin brother. In this world, a twin brother with a crush on you doesn't fit in. Allegra cares for Charles, but she no longer feels worthy of his love. Instead, out of guilt and anger she pushes him away. Matters don't improve when she starts spending time with Ben.

Schuyler and Jack have been waiting for their bonding - waiting for the time when they will truly belong to each other. Schuyler wants everything to be perfect. She searches for the right dress to make the occasion unforgettable. But there's one thing missing from her big day: her friends. Jack goes to great lengths to reach out to them in hopes that they will join the couple. But Schuyler's greatest wish could also be her downfall.

I love the BLUE BLOODS series, and seeing more from my favorite characters made me happy. I enjoyed the merging of the past and present, which leads to more understanding of what's happening now. BLOODY VALENTINE is a very quick but satisfying read.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice addition to the Blue Bloods series, 9 Mar. 2011
Emma @ Book Angel Booktopia (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bloody Valentine: Blue Bloods (Paperback)
As you are probably already aware I am a huge Blue Bloods fan. I pre-order the books as soon as I see them.

To be truthful I was a little disappointed that this was a novella, I am so desperate for the main story to move forward. I think Melissa de la Cruz is an absolute genius in the way she is able to progress each individual main character while still keeping a tight reign over the plot threads.

The back-story and insight gained from the novella is outstanding, unfortunately I am still rather confused as to the events in Florence concerning Allegra and Lucifer. If someone would like to explain them to me or tell me what I am missing I would be grateful.

My favourite part of this book was the story focalized from Oliver's perspective. It really give depth to understanding the dynamics of his relationship with Skyler and Jack as well as the emotions attached to the 'Sacred Kiss'. The introduction of the witches was a tantalising 'tidbit' for the future spin-off series. Astute marketing and PR in full force.

I do unfortunately have a whinge and it makes me really sad to say this but a lot of the book is taken up with an exert from Misguided Angel (if you click the link you can see the review). *sigh* I am now on a countdown for the next books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its OK., 29 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Bloody Valentine: Blue Bloods (Paperback)
I'm sorry to say that compared to the rest of the series this is not quite as good, however that does not mean that it is not worth the read if you are already a fan of the blue blood series and does give some useful background knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 May 2015
lovely to read

Bloody Valentine: Blue Bloods
Bloody Valentine: Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz (Paperback - 20 Jan. 2011)