4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read for Kelley Armstrong fans
Bitten was the book that got me hooked on urban fantasy, so I love reading anything Kelley Armstrong writes. The Gathering is the first in a new young adult trilogy set in the same universe as Women of the Otherworld and is similar her The Darkest Powers trilogy. The small town where Maya lives is run by the St. Cloud family and she believes they're working on top secret...
Published on 10 April 2011 by Curiosity Killed The Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars Why delve into YA?
My history with Kelley Armstrong is a long and solid one.
I've read all her books in the Underworld series and Elena and Clay are one of my (few) most beloved couples in UF.
I inhaled all the books where they are protagonists, they're definitely my favorite in the series.

When Armstrong started writing YA lit (The Darkest Powers series) I picked up...
Published on 20 Feb 2012 by O. Lisa

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to Salmon Creek, 25 Aug 2012
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01 (Paperback)
Maya Delaney has always felt a close bond with nature and her home town of Salmon Creek allows her to spend as much time in the wilderness as she likes. Salmon Creek is a tiny medical research town in the middle of nowhere and has always been a sanctuary for Maya. But strange things begin to happen. A champion swimmer drowns in the lake. Mountain lions hang around Maya's home. Maya's best friend Daniel starts getting vibes from people, one of whom is new bad boy in town Rafe who has an inexplicable interest in Maya...

This is the first book in the Darkness Rising trilogy which loosely follows on from the Darkest Powers trilogy and is set in the world of Kelley Armstrong's adult Otherworld series. I'm a huge fan of both the previous series and I love Kelley's writing style so I was psyched to hear she was writing a new trilogy. You could easily start here as a totally new reader as although this trilogy comes after her Darkest Powers, the link is loose enough that you don't need to read it first nor do you need any experience of her adult books (although there are nerdy things in there for those fans to spot).

The storyline is well paced and plotted, although there is a slower pace at the beginning to set up the world which quickly picks up as the book progresses. I loved the rural setting of Salmon Creek as it is different to most YA novels these days and it really allows Maya to show her wilderness type skills. One aspect of the book I adored was the focus on Native American mythology with the tradition of skinwalkers and also in a more contemporary way in terms of Maya's ancestral heritage and tribal origins.

I really liked Maya as a lead character. She is strong willed and self-reliant, happy to spend all of her time out in nature and refuses to change for anyone. Maya's issues dealing with the drowning of her best friend Serena are particularly well written. Rafe manages to be the bad boy without falling into the stereotypes, although like many a bad boy he hides a distinctly heart-of-gold type secret which he'll protect with his life. I admire his acceptance and how willing he is to help Maya even though she doesn't even know how much she needs it.

Daniel is the perfect best friend, having Maya's back no matter what and never complaining about the situation at home. Daniel's home life with his alcoholic father really won him my sympathy and his determination not to let it dictate his life won him my respect. He also has some issues as Serena was his girlfriend, although surprisingly not the one's I expected adding another dimension to his character.

All in all this was a great read and I'm looking forward to The Calling.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 10/10

Overall: 49/50

5.0 out of 5 stars worth reading, 23 Aug 2012
J. Nixon (England) - See all my reviews
I really enjoy this author. Read them in order. Most stories are stand alone but you get to understand the characters better.

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER EXCELLENT SERIES, 13 July 2012
This review is from: The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01 (Paperback)
I am delighted with the quality and overall service here. The book is of an excellent condition and is another great read from this author. Postage and packaging was of a good value and it arrived promptly. No worries at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gathering, 5 May 2012
Continuing on from the calling Maya's story continues and leaves you wanting more... Personally my only complaint is that I have a years wait for the next installment. At least I have Thirteen to look forward to this July... Her Otherworld books are a must read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 18 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01 (Paperback)
Amazing as usual! Can't wait for the next one! Kelley Armstrong is a brilliant writer I would recommend everything I've read to anyone who would listen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next !!!, 9 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01 (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book and the way it was written
Onece I started I couldn't put it down and I can't wait for the next one
It leaves on a rite cliff hanger that just leaves you wanting more

3.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the next one, 22 Oct 2011
J. Prather (IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01 (Paperback)
For most of this book, I thought this was going to be a real ho hum, standard YA paranormal. Plucky young heroine finds out she's a shape shifter. Been there, done that. I loved the forest setting and how the author so ably tied in Native beliefs, but those seemed to be the only things to recommend this tale. It was just okay, and I found myself wanting to skip ahead.

At around two thirds of the way into this book, the action begins to pick up and the story begins to come together. Here's where it hooked me. This turned out to be a pretty nice supernatural mystery. Of course I still don't know exactly what's going on, because this is the first book in a series, and heaven forbid we tell a complete story without using a cliff hanger ending. Sheesh.

By the end of the book, the author had taken great strides in developing her characters. I now care about Maya and Daniel and the mysterious Rafael. I really want to know what happens next, which was the point of this entire book. It's simply an introduction to what I think is going to be a much better book two. This one is slow to take off, and although the writing is fine, the dialogue is well done, and the setting is unique, the story itself takes a while to offer up anything new and interesting. Stick with it if you can handle the whole cliffhanger thing. If not, don't even get started.

4.0 out of 5 stars ohhh, 17 July 2011
Margaret Charles "jennywren" (London, England) - See all my reviews
so infuriating! I was really enjoying this and it was becoming very interesting when the blasted book ended ! One of the problems with kindle is that you cannot really judge how long a book is going to be however you do get the percentage at the bottom;even so I was totally thrown by the sudden and abrupt finish. I realise this is part of a series - an extremely good series at that - but I must admit to feeling rather cheated. That said well worth reading and hopefully next one will make the wait worthwhile. Unfortunately I have the feeling that by the time it is released I will have moved on and forgotten why I liked it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome new trilogy from an amazing author, 8 July 2011
This review is from: The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01 (Paperback)
Another YA trilogy from the awesome Ms. Armstrong. A seperate trilogy from the Darkest Powers (The Summoning, The Awakening and The Reckoning) series, with different characters but still related because of the Edison Group.

As with all of Kelley's books before this, I read this in one sitting. Thank god I'd come off an early shift and was working later the next day! If I'd been early shift the next day as well, I would've been screwed, lol.

I love the new setting and I really like the new characters as well. I think a lot of the Darkest Powers fans were worried about the lack of Chloe, Derek and Simon but I think Maya, Rafe and Daniel are a nice team. I think the first characters you meet in a series always make an impression but I really enjoyed the friendship between Daniel and Maya. Plus I like Maya as a YA lead, she's a good role model.

If you like your supernatural YA and don't mind waiting to finish the story, this is a definite must read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Compelling but..., 11 May 2011
I am a HUGE Kelly Armstrong fan. I love her books and can't wait for the latest to come out. Her characters are well-developed and the stories are compelling. The problem I had with The Gathering was that it just ended without resolving the issues raised in this first book. I turned the page expecting another chapter, but the book had just ended. It seemed like she had run out of time and the publisher just went ahead and published what was done. Very frustrating.

The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01
The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01 by Kelley Armstrong (Paperback - 7 April 2011)
5.59