4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read for Kelley Armstrong fans
Published on 10 April 2011 by Curiosity Killed The Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars Why delve into YA?
My history with Kelley Armstrong is a long and solid one.
I've read all her books in the Underworld series and Elena and Clay are one of my (few) most beloved couples in UF.
I inhaled all the books where they are protagonists, they're definitely my favorite in the series.

Published on 20 Feb 2012 by O. Lisa

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read for Kelley Armstrong fans, 10 April 2011
Curiosity Killed The Bookworm (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01 (Paperback)
Bitten was the book that got me hooked on urban fantasy, so I love reading anything Kelley Armstrong writes. The Gathering is the first in a new young adult trilogy set in the same universe as Women of the Otherworld and is similar her The Darkest Powers trilogy. The small town where Maya lives is run by the St. Cloud family and she believes they're working on top secret medical research. There's a good chance that's exactly what they're doing, but established fans will know who the St. Clouds are even though they've not featured heavily in her other books.

The plot is fairly slow and I'm not sure if it will appeal to readers new to Kelley's world. Personally, I love trying to make all the connections.

Sadly, the book doesn't really finish. It's designed as part one of a trilogy and it's obvious at the end that there's still much more to tell. I don't mind this so much if books are a bit older and I can sit and read them back to back but I imagine there will be a long wait til the next one.

Kelley recently announced her plans to put the Women of the Otherworld series to bed after book 13. Us fans are clutching at whatever we can get so it's positive that there's still the young adult books to look forward to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why delve into YA?, 20 Feb 2012
O. Lisa "NightReader" (italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01 (Paperback)
My history with Kelley Armstrong is a long and solid one.

When Armstrong started writing YA lit (The Darkest Powers series) I picked up The Summoning (Darkest Powers, Book 1). I wasn't very impressed, so much so that I dropped the series.
This new series, Darkness Rising, is somewhat better than DP, but still hasn't left me very impressed so far.

The story is set in a tiny community somewhere on Vancouver Island, Canada. Salmon Creek is a small village whose residents work for a pharmaceutical company who does classified medical research. There's something definitely fishy going on in the community: from Serena's - Maya's best friend - death, to the appearance of an ever- increasing number of unknown cougars, to a series of weird events punctuating Maya's life.

There were some nice - and original - aspects to this story that I particularly appreciated.
The setting, for starters, is really nice. Descriptions of the community, the wilderness and the wildlife are really well done, atmospheric. There's always an animalistic taste to Armstrong's books when she deals with shapeshifters that I find extremely enticing.
Because after all, shapeshifters they are, in this book. Skin-walkers, to be precise, a race of supernaturals that I had yet to encounter in fantasy.

The mythology, tied to native Americans, is definitely a point which I found very interesting and that I would have wanted to - and that I hope will be - explored more in the next installments. What I didn't like was when said mythology got contaminated with a not-so-native regional Italian secret sect of hunters, the Benandanti, which had, in my opinion, very little to do with native Americans. There might be ignorance on my part on this subject but the sect is, incidentally, originally from the area where I live and I am pretty sure we have nothing in common with native American shapeshifters. Anyway.

The other problem I had was that some scenes between Maya and Rafe, especially the ones when they are in the woods, felt very much similar to some Elena and Clay's scenes, and if they're similar now... well, I don't want to be spoilery but I think they will end up being more and more similar to the other, fortunate series.

So basically, while I enjoyed the book (cliffhanger aside) I had the distinct feeling that this - or part of this - was just a YA version of a story that's already been successfully told.
I wish Kelley Armstrong had just stuck to adult urban fantasy because, to me, it definitely feels like she's trying to milk the YA cash cow by exploiting some trite paranormal YA tropes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 11 April 2011
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Maya lives in a special community - it's based around a research hospital. And only certain families are invited to live there.

Maya's family lives in a park where her dad is the ranger. She's always had a special connection with the mountain lions, but recently they've been seen around a lot more. Suddenly, Maya is having flashes of the world from a mountain lion's point of view. But she has no idea why. And she still wonders what really happened a little while back when her best friend, who was a strong swimmer, suddenly drowned. Things are definitely not what they seem to be in this little town.

Add in her best friend, Daniel, and the new hot boy, Rafe, and you've got a great trio of characters. This book will keep you wondering as to what will happen next.

THE GATHERING was a nice change in that I really enjoyed it! I think I was in a reading rut and just couldn't seem to read a book that I really enjoyed until this one. That being said, I do have to say that for the most part, this book is pretty predictable. I knew Maya's secret pretty much from the beginning, as well as Rafe's. But I'm not sure just how Rafe's secret is tied to Maya's. Hmmm. And I"m not sure how their little community plays into it just yet, but I'm sure it does somehow. And Daniel...sometimes I felt like he had feelings for Maya, and other times he just seemed like a big brother.

There were so many unanswered questions - but in a good way! In a way that makes it so you can't wait to get your hands on the sequel. I can't wait to read the next book, THE CALLING. Hopefully, it will answer a bunch of questions that I have!

Reviewed by: Andrea

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit slow getting started..., 4 Jun 2013
Laura Hartley (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book was really slow to get started but once it was got going I was sucked into the story. This is the first in a trilogy so I guess it can be excused from this slow start as there was a lot of story setting and character introducing to be done. To be honest, not a lot actually happens in this novel, at least, not until the closing passages and this was really frustrating. I'd say that the slow start coupled with the really exciting ending combined to make this an average book that wasn't that brilliant. However, as the story has now been set up and it's clear from the ending of the novel that the author is capable of some really good writing, I'm hoping that the next to instalments in this trilogy will be jam-packed full of pure awesomeness.

When I read young adult books, it is rare that I like both the best friend and the boyfriend, but surprisingly I loved them both in this novel. Daniel, Maya's best friend, is such a kind and caring character and maybe the reason I like him so much is because he does what he's supposed to do. He's the best friend. He doesn't want to be anything more than the best friend and I'm glad that the author didn't fall in line with many other young adult romances. Rafe on the other hand, is dark and mysterious. He's clearly hiding something and you're just desperate to find out what it is. Even Rafe doesn't conform to the young adult stereotypes as he's actually got a whole new persona that's just waiting to be unveiled as soon as he learns to trust someone. Rafe's character is hot. Like super hot. You can't help but falling in love with him and rooting for him and Maya.

I felt that some parts of the plot were very unoriginal, especially the whole mysterious new guy in town - what's he hiding? sort of thing. However, the supernatural beings were different from any other kind I've ever come across, in some ways at least. Actually they have beings very similar to these in the TV series True Blood, but seeing as this was being written at the same time True Blood was being filmed it's highly improbable that either one of the plots was copied. The book description really doesn't give much away so I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone by telling you what sort of paranormal creatures are featured, but I will tell you that they're not vampire and they're not werewolves (was that a hurrah I heard?). You don't really find out what secrets are hiding right until the very end so I really would be giving away the whole story if I told you anything.
This story ended on a brilliant cliff hanger and I absolutely cannot wait to read the next instalment, which, incidently has already been released since it took me so long to write this review! This story was good, but far too much time was spent on the build up and not enough on the action. The series itself; however, has the potential to be really great so I'm hoping that now all the boring set-up is over the story can really get going!

5.0 out of 5 stars great as usual, 29 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01 (Paperback)
Exactly what you expect from this author. However dont get me wrong I was gutted when the book ended it seemed to end as it had just got going but i supose we will all just have to wait for the next instalment!! Dont be too long mrs Armstrong.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but....., 30 April 2011
This review is from: The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01 (Paperback)
I'm not going to re-hash the story here, others have already done this.
Let me just tell you why this is good, and why it isn't.

To begin with, like all Armstrong's work, it's pacey, well written and a page turner. The characters are engaging and believable, and you want to know what happens to them.
This in itself creates one problem - the cliff hanger ending is frustrating - it feels as if the book finishes part -way through. Incredibly frustrating, and it feels like a cheat - that this should have been a longer book, and has been split by the publisher/author to increase sales.

The second problem for me was that the story line felt very much as if it was Jane Yellowrock (Mercy Blade) light - a junior, twilight type interpretation of the skinwalker tale for the teen market - even down to the badguy, tattooed potential love interest. Having read all of armstrong's other tales, I did feel she could have put more of an individual stamp on this.

Still worth a read though!

4.0 out of 5 stars great great great!, 29 April 2011
lizzie89 (london, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01 (Paperback)
i love love loved this book, which i can always tell is going to happen when i read super fast, think in the end it only took me a three days :)

everything about it kept me interested from the setting, to the story, to the characters

however if i was going to critique it, i would say not enough powers, as part of why i like this series is the supernatural element and in this one it was there but quite understated. However this is a trilogy and i imagine that it will get more intense and supernatural as the series progresses.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gathering (Darkness Rising), 11 April 2011
This review is from: The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01 (Paperback)
Once again another fantastic book from Kelley Armstrong. I can't wait for the next one. The only draw back is I read it in 3 days and know I've now got a long wait until book 2. I think Kelley is a fantastic writer and would recommend to anyone. Read any of her books as all of her series are great. My personal favourite is the Otherworld series. So if your wondering what to read next give her books a go. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
The Gathering (Darkness Rising)
Bitten (Women of the Otherworld 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars awesome book, 10 April 2011
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01 (Paperback)
I received this for review having never read any thing else by Kelley Armstrong (I know I should have). This is a new triology but set in the same world as her other YA triology.

The main character is Maya. She is a teenage girl who lives in a tiny town in Canada where everyone know everyone. She loves the forest, being outside and animals. I loved how down to earth normal she was and I loved how witty she could be. I also loved that just because she is adopted it wasn't used an excuse for her to go off the rails or hate her parents. I hate it when YA books do that.

The story itself sets up an awful lot which doesn't really begin to be resolved as the book is the first in a triology but does hint at some awesome story threads that have the potential to be awesome. I so badly want to know more about St Cloud industries, the company that owns the entire town and employs everyone in it. I also am dying to know more about the skin walkers and Maya's abilities.

The thing I liked most about the book though was Daniel. Daniel is Maya best friend (well his girlfriend was her best friend because she died and since then the two of them have been friends). I feel for him in what he deals with in his day to day life and in how hard life has been more in over the past few years. I love how he looks after Maya (although she doesn't think it's his best quality) and think he is far more gorgeous than Rafe the main love interest of the piece.

The final 50 pages of the book was where we started to get some answers about what was going on. The pace picked up as the forest fires began to sweep towards the town. The book ends on an excrutiating cliff hanger that I know will kill people who hate cliff hangers. I literally can't wait to see what happens next.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 6 July 2014
Great book!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01
The Gathering: Darkness Rising: Book 01 by Kelley Armstrong (Paperback - 7 April 2011)
5.59