I bought this book because if the recommendation of the other reviewer (T. Young), which i found helpful.

I also previously bought the book from the "official" source, (the one published by the TSO: "Life in the United Kingdom").

Published 22 months ago by Supercure

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful ideological book with big history gaps
Did not enjoy the book. It probably covers all the questions in the test but doesn't give a full picture. It's not my learning style to learn stuff by heart out of context.

Example: there is one cryptic paragraph on Scotland joining the UK; I read it 5 times and still wasn't sure why this happened.
About colonialism, there was half a sentence that...
Published 14 months ago by Christian

4.0 out of 5 stars Book is good but you WILL HAVE to study with the online practice, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Life in the UK Test: Handbook 2013: Everything You Need for the British Citizenship Test (Paperback)

There is not much difference between this one and the TSO one. I guess the syllabus is clearly defined, so no big surprise there. On the strength of this, i'd buy the cheapest one.

Having passed the test this morning, i would in my humble opinion recommend the following:

1/ Read the book (whichever you chose) once, cover to cover

2/ Get yourself the companion app "life in the UK Test 3rd edition" (careful, there are still TONS of old out of date apps on the iTune store and the sellers are not telling you these are out of date, cheeky ****). Alternately, there is the [...] website where you can take practice tests on-line.

3/ Using the application or the on-line practice, make sure you consistently hit at least a 90% score.

4/ Re-read the book.

Why do i say this?

Well, there are 24 questions in the test. I found this morning that 16 to 18 of them approx. were very easy if you practiced the test with the app or with the on-line practice on [...] . This means that the on-line studying should allow you to sail through 66% or more out of 24 questions.

The other questions are not trick questions, but they are not necessarily covered as such in the app or on-line practice or their wording is quite different. Let's call them the in-depth questions. These are the ones you will be able to answer based on the book study, common sense and a bit of guesswork. You do not need to hit 100% on these, you simply want to avoid failing the test by one question, so getting, say, 50% of these in-depth questions right should get you a "pass".

One thing about the claim associated with the purchase of "Life in the UK test Handbook", i.e. the free access to the on-line practice: it is true that you can use a section of the [...] site, but it is limited to 12 questions. If you want the full monty (i.e. the 24 question mock test with timer), you have to pay (i think it is £6 for a year), which i found was a bit cheeky as the blurb seem to indicate that, once you paid for the book, you can use ALL the website practice for free. Not that £6 is very expensive for the on-line practice, it is well worth it, but i could not help to feel a bit like i was being fleeced.

In all fairness, the paid-for online practice on lifeintheuk.net is very good, i found it far more detailed than the "life in the UK Test 3rd edition" app.

LONG AND SHORT: buy this book, pay for the on-line practice with lifeintheuk.net, spend one hour a day studying until you hit 90% at mock tests, read the book a final time, become a Brit.

Good luck to you all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only Book You Need to Pass!, 4 April 2013
T. Young "Know it all" (New York) - See all my reviews
I recently passed my Life in the UK test, which I needed to do in order to get my indefinite leave to remain. You may need to take the test if you are applying for citizenship as well. This is the book you will need if you are taking your test after March 25th which I did.

I purchased both this book and the official Life in the UK book published by Home Office. This is half the price and has ALL the required material. It's also made with thinner paper and so is smaller and lighter. There are more illustrations in this edition and it is generally a better product than the official edition.

As a bonus you get free access to all of the practice tests online, which I found to be almost as helpful as the book itself.

For less than £6 you get the book and unlimited practice tests. I wish I knew this before!

If you have Internet access there is no reason to buy any other study guides, or practice test books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Passed the test, 24 May 2013
I passed the test by studying this book. Initially I had bought the 2012 version by mistake. The test has just changed recently. The 2012 version is now obsolete. The material has changed about 60-70% to my estimation, so unless you have this recent version, you won't pass the test.

The book, as far as I know, contains the exact same chapters as the original official one, with the addition of some extra content. These include a glossary of terms, a collection of important dates, and free access to online practice tests.

I just studied the book for four and half days full time, which includes reading it multiple times and going over and studying key information repeatedly. This was enough for me to pass the test, although I was already in the swing due to my previous experience with the wrong book. I haven't used the online practice tests.

The reason I chose this book over the official guide is that it has some extra content which is useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was very helpfull !, 16 Oct. 2013
Mr. Ian A. Shaw "Cricketer" (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
I ordered the book as I had to go for "Life in the UK" test. This is a good book - much bether than the other one offered by Home Offise. This book contains more graphics, planes and scales that make your study easier and give you clear view over the subjects, Appart this the text is equal in both of the books , onless this one is cheaper. You have no need to order more offered options of books completted to this single one as there is no difference between them - only there are some tests added on the back side of Study Guide. The bonnus is that if you buy the Handbook you get the oportunity to go online for making thousands practicy tests that all the questions included in might be possiblly included in your official test too. However - I passed the test in 100% at once using only this book to prepare myself for. So do not be wondering and make your order if you like to pass the test. Ofcourse you will need to read the book properly before going to take the test:). I wish everyone success in studing and big THANK YOU to the creators, Amazon and all staff having been busy with the service.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Opinion, 28 Jun. 2013
Hello,

At first this book made me feel horrible. Too many things to learn. Especially when you see "History" subject starts from the stone age goes until today. All the Queens, Kings, wars and many other things you have to memorize. If you're not interested in any of these things, you're going to have a bad time. This is not the books fault of course.

I think my total study time with this book is between 20 and 30 hours. I had to read history subject twice and had to spend some extra time while trying to memorize sportsman and artist names and what they do. This book gives you all the information, well honestly feels like more than you need. I took my exam last week and passed and it was my first try. If you want to pass this exam, I can highly suggest this book. It's extremely boring (for me) but it helps a lot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful ideological book with big history gaps, 16 Dec. 2013

About colonialism, there was half a sentence that mentioned that it was a thing but not what it actually meant. What's a colony and why is it supposed to be a great thing?

Not recommended. If you just want to study for the exam, get the app.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sufficient and fit for purpose, 5 May 2013
I used this book to prepare for my test. I ordered the practice questions from TSO, which I downloaded. This book is enough to get you through the test, its cheaper than the one from TSO, simply written and summarized therefore makes the preparation for the test easy. My advice is read this book and the do as many questions as possible. There are free online tests available via this link: [...]. (Not sure how long these will continue being free). My point is, this is what I used and passed my test in the first sitting and it only took me 3 minutes to complete.

5.0 out of 5 stars I pass my test, 18 Dec. 2013
I am so happy with this purchase. I did my test and pass, very informative!!!!!!!! I recommend this to everyone who is going to take the life in the uk test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise and informative, 20 Aug. 2013
I ended up buying all 3 recommended books in order to give myself the best chance to pass the test. This is a condensed version of the Life in the UK: a guide for new residents so you could easily get away with buying only this book and completing the online practice tests which you get free access to. Pages 13-18 has a useful section which provides advice from readers. This answered my own questions and clarified the whole process necessary to pass the test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book ., 24 July 2013
Mrs. A. M. sheikh (uk) - See all my reviews
Value fir money. Excellent book. It is exactly word to word same and same pictures as the other book which you are asked to buy which is double the price. Nothing is different . Not even the notes at the end of the book only the price difference and the paper quality. I think we are reading the book to learn not to keep it in safe deposit so it is excellent book what you need for the purpose .