4.0 out of 5 stars It is ok
It is ok, the contents is what it says it is. I have some problems navigating and find things in the book. I suppose is not the authors fault but the kindle app I am using. Maybe I should look for some manual how to use it.
Published 13 months ago by Jerzy Grabowski

The reason I purchase this book was because it includes the LIUK Handbook 2013 and Practice Questions in the same book. The LIUK Handbook section was is the same info that you would get if you purchased Life in the United Kingdom: a guide for new residents sold by the Home Office. Hence, I will just discuss whether the practice questions were useful or not.

As...
Published 17 months ago by LIUK Test Taker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars I took the LIUK this morning and here is my review of this book., 10 July 2013
This review is from: Life in the UK Test: Study Guide & CD ROM 2013: The Essential Study Guide for the British Citizenship Test (Paperback)

As per the practice questions. There were 12 practice tests at the end of the book. I did each of them a few times over and eventually have most of the answers edged into my memory. By the end, I was consistently getting 90% in all of the 12 practice tests.

I then noticed that they have a website were I can go online and do more practice tests. So a few days to go before the test, I jumped at this chance so I can be better prepared. The online practice questions were a bit different from the ones in the book so it kind of surprised me that I didn't pass the first couple of times. After a few gos at the online questions, I began to consistently get 85% and over.

My confidence was sky high on the day of the actual exam since I thought I have already prepared very well. It wasn't the case as I started doing the actual questions. The actual questions were different from the ones I have done in the book and online. I am not just talking about the wording of the questions, the type of questions were very different. The actual exam focused more on, dare I say it, "Life in the UK". The actual test didn't focus much on the details of the history. Whereas, if you have done the practice questions like I did, you would have spent so much time memorizing the years so and so did this or that since that's what the practice tests online and in the book were asking. In fact, none of the actually questions asked about the exact year of an event (Your mileage my vary since everyone gets a different set of questions in the test).

If it were not for my over preparation for this test combined with my existing knowledge of UK, I do not think I would have passed. In fact, I believe I barely pass the 75% mark in the test. So for those with less time to prepare and don't actually know much about the UK to start, just studying the practice questions in this book probably won't help enough for you to pass.

In summary, many of the actual questions in the LIUK test were not present in the book nor the online practice test. In fact, I went online right after to see how many of those actual questions showed up on the online practice test. I opened 3 different online tests and I have got to say, only 1-2 of the questions from the each of the 3 online tests were actually asked in the actual test that I did. I gave the book away right after the test but my suggestion is if you must buy this book, then concentrating on the practice questions at the back of the book is more useful than spending the time to do the online practice questions since the book questions were more similar to the actual test questions. They were more similar but yet, still very different than the actual test questions.

4.0 out of 5 stars It is ok, 16 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars comprehensive study material. just what you need., 29 May 2014
in depth information you need for the test. clear and concise writing.multiple choice answer at the back was very useful. CD was quite handy when i felt lazy to flick the pages.

3.0 out of 5 stars Did the job, 29 May 2014
Apparently there is another book too that should be learnt. However my husband did pass with this book. A lot to learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me past the test, 21 May 2014
Studies from it and passed the test by getting all the answers right.

Combine this with the official app and passing is easy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly Organised, 2 Mar 2014
J. Andrews (England) - See all my reviews
I would not recommend this book as its badly organised page numbering is very small and using colours in parts that saying its supposedly educational leaves a lot to desired such as orange header with very small numbering in white, hard to see / read need a magnifying glass to use this book waste of time, money, makes studying very hard work !

5.0 out of 5 stars easy, 16 Feb 2014
Very good book, easy to use, includes tests with questions and unswers. History and pictures included. Recomend to buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Life In The UK, 21 Jan 2014
I bought this book for my wife. It is nice book and contain all relevant material for taking Life in the UK exam. I would recommend all of my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for the Life in the UK Test, 9 Jan 2014
Passed the test first time out with this guide, which reproduces the official material plus has some introductory guidance info, practice tests in the back of the book and a daily renewable pass to practice tests on the website. This together with some of the other free practice tests available online should be sufficient to pass the test.

Much better value than the official guides.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong book, 23 Dec 2013
Bought this book for my husband for the life in the uk 3rd edition and it was the wrong book he failed the test,we then bought another book from the website provided by the home office and he now has passed the test.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›