5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Reference Book for Living in Germany
Published on 14 April 2005 by Simon Message

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh. I wouldn't bother.
I was convinced to buy it by the rave reviews on this page, so perhaps my expectations were unduly high - but I've not found it all that helpful.

Published on 6 Oct 2010 by NewExpat

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Reference Book for Living in Germany, 14 April 2005
Simon Message (Regensburg, Germany) - See all my reviews
I bought this book just before moving to Germany. In those first few weeks it was my bible. The information is very detailled and up to date and there is loads packed in. The style is light hearted so it is a pleasure to read, but that does not mean it skimps on facts. A friend who had been in Germany for 6 years still found useful information (like the detailled instructions for registering a car). The book also provides plenty of background information; there is an highly amusing chapter on the Germans hidden toward the back. Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and a pleasure to read at the same time, 18 Dec 2009
AK (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The author really needs to be congratulated on this excellent guide to living in Germany. All the important aspects are captured in sufficient detail to make the guide useful even for someone, who has plenty of experience with the country (short of actually having lived there).

On top of all the useful information of all the aspects of German life, a good deal of understanding of the German culture is crammed into this book, too, making it a useful guide to avoid cultural mis-steps as well as administrative ones. The author at the same time also manages to make the reading light, not particularly technical, and occasionally humorous too. Let's see if the German experience lives up to the promise and quality of this guide!

5.0 out of 5 stars a must, 9 Aug 2007
Invaluable book for those with serious intentions of living and working abroad. Immensely useful to avoid expensive mistakes and avoiding cultural pitfalls. Superb resource with in depth knowledge without getting boring and dry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best survival guide for living and working in Germany, 17 May 2008
Before moving to Germany I had to go through several beaurocratic steps and I bought this book to help me get through all that daunting stuff. This book really is a MUST for anyone planning to live or work in Germany. It covers everything from visas to opening bank accounts, from sports centres to shopping centres and everything in between! Every topic is explained in detail so there is no confusion and although this book is a few years old now, it was still very accurate (time of review 2008) and I don't think I could have survived my 6 months in Germany without this book. There were many things in this book that even people in Germany itself were not aware of and that actually goes to show how in depth and well researched this book is. Definitely recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh. I wouldn't bother., 6 Oct 2010

You can find the same or better, more detailed information online, at sites like toytown - and the information there is also free and much more up to date. I've also found the organisation of the book a bit unclear - for example, the section on healthcare insurance is not in the chapter on healthcare, even though understanding how insurance works is crucial to getting healthcare - and again, the information on insurance is inferior to what is available online.

Next time I'd just buy a guidebook to the country for background and leisure, and use the internet and expat community for information about living and working there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic!, 27 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This books seems to be written by someone who had to live in Germany and got all possible problems one after another. After having this kind of experience myself, I could not have better explained how to manage life and work in Germany ...
I am looking forward to read the new edition for France - my next working adventure in Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have book for living and working in Germany, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Living & Working in Germany (Living and Working) (Paperback)
Excellent book - gives all the right details about how to set up a new life in Germany. I myself intend to spend a prolonged period there and so I found this book invaluable. This book is a must-have! It saves a great deal of wasted time and money by directing one to the right offices and providing them an outline of the most recent relevant legislation. Viel Glueck! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Jun 2014
I bought this just before moving to Munich. It has been invaluable and saved me so much time and some embarrassment!

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 23 Aug 2013
With the prospect of moving to Germany I purchased this book on the basis of the good reviews. At a glance, it is obvious this book is just not fit for purpose. I live in the UK and I want detailed advice on matters pertaining to transferring my home and my life to Germany and its many implications. I would say that much of the book's content is to be found in a travel guide for holiday makers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Living and Working in Germany, 10 Dec 2011
S. Bailey (France) - See all my reviews
This has a lot of information that anyone, including retired people looking to move to Germany, will find useful. If nothing else, it shows what the complications can be with different administration systems!

Living & Working in Germany (Living and Working)
Living & Working in Germany (Living and Working) by Pamela Wilson (Paperback - 1 July 2011)