Format: Hardcover|Change

on 18 September 2013
This is a great introduction to mindfulness. It's well divided into 5 main chapters and within each one are thought-provoking quotes and relevant little stories and questions as well as the main material. It's the sort of book that you can read ten times and get something different out of it each time. OK, I'm only on my third read as I continue on my journey to find happiness within but already it's a different book to last time!

It's a really easy read and it comes across that Suryacitta, The Happy Buddha is a normal person who has discovered how to be happy and has written the book to share his knowledge rather than it being written by someone who seems to be on another planet and not in touch with real life (like some authors seem to be!).

Highly recommended!
on 5 February 2014
As someone who has just recently started out on the path of Buddhist-style meditation, I've found this book wonderful. A kind friend gave it to me and I read it in instalments, one chunk after each daily meditation. I got to the end and started it again almost immediately - it's so rich and nourishing. It really tackles the subtleties of how to approach meditation, and how to approach life - life in all its ups and downs. How to find inner peace and grow naturally and stop beating yourself up. The artwork and binding of the book are gorgeous and I found the content both accessible and thought-provoking. I think I can safely say that it's going to be my personal bible for a long time to come.
on 17 September 2013
After reading "Happiness and How it Happens" which I picked up in a library, not only did I buy myself a copy, but purchased another 4 copies as gifts for friends, one of whom refers to it almost every time I see him. The book is really pleasing to look at and handle but its real beauty is in the deceptively simple content - a book for both beginners and experienced mindfulness practitioners. Highly recommended.
on 4 September 2013
Looking at the glowing reviews,and being a practitioner of mindfulness meditation, I was interested in seeing if there was anything new here. The writing is impeccable and I was certainly not disappointed by the content.

There is much written about this subject, and it is difficult to decide where to find real help. All I can say is I found this to be a lovely book, and just reading it made me feel good. If the practices within are adhered to, the reader will certainly benefit enormously.

Author of Inner Path to Happiness How to be Happy - a Guide to Overcoming Depression and Embracing Inner Happiness (Warrior Series)
on 6 May 2015
This book is a beautiful book which I have not only purchased as a gift to myself but for a couple of friends as well. At a time when I was trying to find balance in my life I came across the happy Buddha's website and was fortunate enough to find that Suryacitta only lived a few miles away from me. I bought this book when I attended one of his morning meditation sessions and after that session bought the book. I found the book easy to read and had some very helpful insights into mindfulness and how to lead a happier life, not from things and constantly chasing things but from being aware of my thoughts mostly about myself. I use this book in my practice to refer back to at times when I feel my mind starts to wander again, along with attending regular practice evenings and meditation days with Suryacitta. I cannot recommend this book highly enough for those who are just starting out with their mindfulness practice but also for anyone who practices regularly, I am now hoping that Suryacitta will bring out another book which I am sure if so will be equally as exceptional as this book.
on 31 December 2011
I've been meditating on and off for just over a year and am absolutely convinced of it's benefits to everyone BUT the subject of meditation and the whole 'Zen' thing can seem very abstract and airy-fairy to the casual onlooker so many of the people who it would help the most are likely to dismiss it as nonsense (even though WE already know that it's not nonsense).

However, this fantastic book presents meditation in a wonderfully straight forward way that conveys the huge potential benefits it could have, but makes the whole thing seem logical, sensible and easy to get your head round so that the people who previously would have dismissed it may well give it a go.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough!
on 21 February 2015
I was given a copy of this book but wanted to write a review on amazon as it is such a wonderful read. Even if you do not practice mindfulness it will most certainly encourage you to start. The book itself is beautifully bound. The content is full of parables and stories and it is easy to dip in and out of the chapters. It is quietly understated yet potent in its affect. Every time I reach for this book I feel like I'm reading it for the first time. Whether you are new to mindfulness or have years of sitting, this book is a gift of a read.
on 28 September 2011
At first glance, the most obvious thing about this excellent little book on mindfulness and meditation is just how beautifully produced it is. It's a pleasure just to pick it up and browse through it. Somehow, the care the publishers have taken with the book's appearance both reflects its theme and adds to its impact.

So, how, according to Suryacitta, does happiness `happen'? He gets straight to the point - "Happiness is our natural state. It happens when we stop making ourselves unhappy by believing in the stories the thinking mind throws up".

It's all very well to say this, one might think, but anyone who's tried to make miserable thoughts `just stop' will know that it's not easy at all - it can seem quite impossible.

Fortunately, many Buddhist traditions have been exploring this for millennia, and what Suryacitta presents here epitomises some of the most pithy and direct methods that these traditions offer. "Being in the present moment is the secret to a life of unconditional happiness and freedom. But how do we do it? The key is simply to notice, without judgment or criticism, what takes you away from the present and then return to the felt experience of the present."

That just about sums it up. I like the way that Suryacitta keeps emphasising that while this is simple, it's not necessarily easy. This goes against our conditioning - it feels like simple things should be easy. Cultural norms tell us that happiness lies in having desirable objects, desirable relationships. Simplicity sounds a bit ... boring. Yet we long for it "People complain about their lives being stressful, hectic, over-complicated and with little or no room for the simple things that they want to enjoy". Changing our external conditions is really just more of the same. Simplicity, and hence happiness, is right here `within'. What's needed is a change of orientation - to look for happiness where it's actually to be found.

Suryacitta offers very practical ways into the practice of mindfulness together with a very simple `just sitting' kind of meditation where we "simply ... notice the bodily sensations and thoughts that take us away from an open and direct experience of the moment". He spices the book with helpful quotes from other authors, anecdotes and a good deal of warm-spirited humour, which is very much part of his style (see his Happy Buddha website).

Over recent years there have been an increasing number of books published around mindfulness and meditation as ways of overcoming stress, depression and chronic physical and mental pain. It's great to see this development and it's certainly good to see these ancient Buddhist practices being used for what they were always intended - the alleviation of suffering.

But in one vital respect, this one differs from most that I've come across. Suryacitta doesn't hold back from presenting ways into the deepest and most profoundly transformative perspectives that Buddhism has to offer: the illusory nature of the view of a separate `self', the nature of awareness, and the meaning and possibility of waking up (awakening, `enlightenment'). I suspect that a lot of the books based on fairly recent applications of Buddhist method combined with western science and psychology, such as Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction and Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy, avoid these areas to the extent that their authors are concerned to present mindfulness and meditation in a secular / scientific context. This is understandable and I certainly have no problem with it, but it seems to me that practising without bringing in these further perspectives can only take you so far.

`Happiness and How it Happens' shares common ground with the `mindfulness based' approaches in showing readers how to set up a meditation and mindfulness practice, to work effectively with fear and other `negative' emotions as well as how to engage positive emotions such as compassion. But as you work through it, you also discover what it means to truly accept whatever experiences arise (negative as well as positive) - which is the same as `letting-go', and to realise the importance of learning to trust awareness as the main key to leaving behind, for good, what makes us less than happy.

As Suryacitta points out, we can "give up the idea of trying to change ourselves. We can let go of trying to rid ourselves of aspects that we don't like, and of trying to add anything on to ourselves. This is just aversion and attachment in more subtle forms." What's wrong with trying to change ourselves? In the ultimate sense, it's because we're trying to change something that doesn't really exist: `my self'. "The root of our suffering ... is a sense of self separate from all the other selves out there ... We build an identity out of this sense of self .... In doing so, we lose contact with our true nature." Trying to change ourselves is like trying to make a prison cell a more comfortable place to live. "Never mind tinkering with the place", he writes "it's about escaping the prison altogether."

A great thing about the book is that, by the time you've worked through the earlier chapters, this radical and apparently counter-intuitive perspective comes across as obvious. It is, in fact, the very core of Buddhist insight and practice. The methods Suryacitta offers for investigating one's immediate experience open up a real possibility of getting a direct glimpse of our true nature - and discovering for ourselves that this is how happiness, in fact, happens.
on 7 August 2013
If there was such a thing as a textbook for Mindfulness then this is it. I've read loads of books in this area, and this is one of the very best. A beautifully produced book which is a pleasure to have and hold, and the content matches the container perfectly. A great introduction for beginners, and a real aid for experienced practitioners to refresh their practice. Great quotes throughout too, and lots of humour.
on 29 November 2014
Lots of books have written about happiness, living in the present moment and how to bring mind and body together. I am telling this by heart, I really enjoyed reading every second of this book as I felt like I was sitting and practicing with him face-to-face. In my opinion, it is suitable for both beginners and people who already searched happiness and spiritual sciences (like me).