on 13 September 2011
I bought 3 copies, 2 as gifts and one for myself. The gifts were well received. I have no intention of knitting (yet) but love the fun and imagination that has gone into this. Brilliant fun. Well done Fiona Goble.
on 13 November 2014
I was thrilled at the prompt delivery of the book. I am only starting this project after Xmas so have no idea how it knits up. On reading through though, I can see I will have to scour the market for all the bits and bobs that are added to the figures, flowers etc. before I start.
on 31 March 2011
I have been knitting for 60 years so my knitting needles and not metric, you need old size 11 for most of the knitting and size 12. If you find this too fiddley just go up a size needle, you can hardly see the difference in the size of the "family". Good Luck..
on 18 March 2011
This book arrived yesterday morning and I am up early today to get the queen's final limb knitted. The patterns are simple for even a relative novice like me and the photos and lovely finishing flourishes make every project tempting. I'm going to buy one for my mum for mother's day too. The cut out balcony included at the back is also hilarious !

Love it. I'm going to go for a Kate doll next ( when I find a little bit of fluffy wool)...
on 4 April 2011
This is a really fun book! I have just finished the royal couple and have started on the adorable corgis. The patterns are really easy to follow. Stitching the figures together is a bit fiddly as they are very small but everything does come together in a very satisfying way. I would have liked suggestions on which wool to buy as I couldn't find all the shades I need in the wool brand I eventually settled on. I also had problems finding the little bits and bobs (ribbons, sequins etc) - maybe someone could come up with a kit with all the necessaries?
Some friends of mine are getting married in June and I'll knit them a wedding party next.
on 19 April 2011
I am a pretty average knitter with not a lot of spare time.I found the work easy to do and the explanations well set out.I did come across a few mistakes in the patterns but it was simple to work out the right number of stitches.I did add my own little touches especially to the ladies'outfits.As I am writing from Spain where the media is not too frenzied about the Wedding,my local wool shop has asked me to display the Family in their shop window so we too can have our own Royal Wedding!
on 30 May 2011
Very amusing just to look at the pictures, but also a very practical guide to making dolls representing the leading people at the wedding, plus the corgis.
Fiona Goble has done a great job, but had to guess in advance what they would all wear, of course, so some of the uniforms and dresses are not what they actually turned out to be; however, judicious use of newspaper pictures of the wedding and different wools will get you there, if you really want to be 100% accurate.
A cheerful souvenir of a cheerful day.
on 29 March 2011
I love this book so much I've sent copies to 4 other people all of whom are beavering away with their needles. Funny, charming, adorable. The book has brought so much joy. Thank you, Fiona Goble.
on 22 March 2011
Although I haven't knitted up any of the patterns yet, I read through them and don't expect any difficulties. The book is lovely and I am looking forward to knitting the whole family.
on 13 April 2011
The book contains all the explanations in pictured detail of how to make each stitch, including how to embroider the features as well as how to do the knit stitches. It is illustrated well so you can see how your finished person will look. All the dolls are complete in their own right and all the clothes removable,so could make an interesting play item for nimble fingers, extra clothes patterns are given if you want to change your dolls, or make a "congregation". A carboard cutout of a balcony is provided if you want to make a scene. The knitting instructions are simple and clear. I am no expert and found it easy to follow, I also learnt how to do invisible seams and not just my usual overstitch joining. The pieces are small and it all takes some time to sew up - so time and patience are essential, but worth it, I have just finished the Queen and am delighted with the result, everyone guesses who she is without knowing I have the book - it actually looks like her! It would be useful to have either kind friends like mine, or my sister Jane, to offer you oddments of wool and bits and pieces for decoration or it could be expensive as a hobby, my Queen didnt cost me a penny, where little craft bits and bobs can be expensive and I now have bits to start the other people. I love this book, both as a something to do book and as a novel keepsake, beats a teatowel!