5.0 out of 5 stars First rate!, 12 Nov 2011
Karel Bata (London (a posh bit)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Titanic Love Stories: The True Stories of 13 Honeymoon Couples Who Sailed on the Titanic (Hardcover)
A well researched, gorgeously illustrated book.

And not just one for the girlies. The level of detail is impressive, with incidental information like what the final transmissions from the ship were during their final hours as they desperately sought help, to how much passengers paid to be on this sumptuous ship built on a scale hard to imagine - one officer later said it would have taken weeks to become familiar with the layout and all the forms of escape. And even how many dogs there were!

But what makes this stand out is how moving these tales are. This is human tragedy and folly writ bold. I defy anyone to keep a dry eye reading it.

A great read, and an excellent Christmas present!

4.0 out of 5 stars A personal view of the sinking, 9 Feb 2012
Really enjoyed reading this book. I bought it for the romantic aspect of honeymoon couples on the Titanic, but equally enjoyed it for the facts of historic interest. I was pleased that it included stories of couples from all social strata, and there are lots of great photos too. An easy but enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars very readable for everyone, 18 Jan 2012
I read this book over a few eveings and it's immensely interesting, even for anyone who is not especially interested in the Titanic disaster. The love stories are interwoven with factual details of the voyage and how the ship sank. Not all the honeymoon couples were first class passengers - some were second and third class. Not all couples survived, and this book gives a very informative chart at the end concerning numbers who survived and numbers who died and what class they were travelling in.

The pictures add a very interesting dimension to the book, but my only criticism is that the captions for them are far too small. There is space for the type to be larger so I felt that was a bit of an editorial oversight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly moving, 5 Jan 2012
I was given this book for Christmas - and it's not something I would normally pick up. I know probably about as much about the Titanic as the average person (and, like most people, liked the Winslet/DiCaprio film), but it most certainly is not a passion or a particular interest. Within minutes of flicking through this book, I was completely hooked. The stories are heartwarming and undeniably tragic; the wealth of detail, from the photos and documents to the minute descriptions of the ship and its passengers, was astonishing and, to my surprise, greatly interesting. Titanic Love Stories reads like a good novel and it is genuinely unputdownable; the 'lovers' come to life and the fact that they were 'real' people rather than fictional characters makes it profoundly moving. I found myself inspired to do more reading around the subject, and to re-read bits of the stories again.

I'd recommend it to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 26 Mar 2013
excellent book like the true stories of the honeymoon couples of the titanic it was a excellent read for titanic fans

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!!!, 26 Feb 2013
This is one of the best Titanic books i have ever found.
A must read for any true titanic fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 18 July 2012
This isn't usually my kind of book and I never read anything to do with the Titanic as I'm a wimpy person who finds it too sad. However this was a one off and I'm so glad I bought it, once I started I couldn't put it down. It was heart-breaking yet absolutely fantastic and offered a great personal view to the sinking, and even featured information I hadn't heard of before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!!, 18 July 2012
Leigh - See all my reviews
Once I sat down to read this book I found it very difficult to put it down, the stories were romantic and touching, with some drama and suspense thrown in, since some of the lesser known couples you don't know if they survived or not. I loved the little facts sprinkled throughout the book about the history of the ship, it's crew and passengers and other interesting anecdotes. This is the perfect book to curl up with on a rainy day and get lost in, I know I did.

11.99