5.0 out of 5 stars If you never buy another book on drawing....
Published on 8 Feb 2012 by bookworm

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Yet another example of talentless art tutors hiding out with a comfortable sinecure. I was very disappointed with this book. It offers the serious student of draughtsmanship little in the way of practical guidance, and the work shown is certainly very "contemporary" but is ugly, unattractive unappealing and amateurish. If you are looking for some serious...
Published 9 months ago by Maggy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars If you never buy another book on drawing...., 8 Feb 2012
This review is from: Drawing Projects: An Exploration of the Language of Drawing (Paperback)
I put off buying this book because I couldnt see inside on Amazon, but I had heard great things about Mick Maslen and decided to go ahead and buy it. I think beginners would enjoy this book but it has a lot to offer to professional artists too. The exercises are current and relevant to contemporary drawing practice, but very accessible to anyone who can hold a pencil and wants to explore drawing as a medium of expression. It provides enough theory to educate, together with excellent insights into the drawing practice of a number of well respected artists. If you never buy another drawing book, I would buy this one....

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating book on drawing in its widest sense, 29 Dec 2011
This was the most extraordinary and stimulating read.

The artists interviewed present drawing in its widest sense and the way these interviews and the results of the students' studio workshops are married together is fascinating and thought provoking.

The projects based on the workshops look most interesting and I can't wait for the opportunity to complete them. They are presented clearly and many novel approaches to drawing are included. The whole book has made me review my own drawing techniques and challenged me to approach my work in a new and freer way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and relevant, 9 Aug 2011
The scope of the content and detail of Drawing Projects is amazing!
The book is beautifully illustrated, a pleasure to hold and look at - a real book lover's book.

It presents drawing in an accessible way because it focuses on practice, process and individual development from the beginning. I like the way it does not claim to be a sweeping study of the field - it's all about making drawing work for the individual.

It examines a huge diversity of drawing practices. Interviews with practising artists are interspersed throughout, bringing the ideas/projects to life. It is just brimming with energy, activity and points of departure - I'm sure it will inspire a lot of people to start or revisit drawing, whether they are starting out or more established.

Each reader can use Drawing Projects in a different way - you don't feel like you have to plough through the book to get at a nugget of someone else's wisdom; you read for your self and own needs. It emphasises drawing as artistic practice: a personal, ongoing, evolving and pleasurable activity.

It's a book I can see myself dipping into and referring back to again and again. I have not encountered another book like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greater Understanding, 31 July 2011
This is a must have for young artists! After reading the first few pages I had a better understanding of myself, I now know why I feel that I never surpasss myself, why I find that my drawings aren't as good as I originally thought, and why, up to a year ago, I thought that my work was no good unless it resembled a photograph. It makes references to fantastic artists, just seeing their work and reading about them is enough to inspire me to start drawing!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best technique book I've bought, 24 Oct 2012
Bought this as I live and teach locally to the university where both authors teach and was aware of the planning stages in them bringing in past students to trial the workshops, and shoot the photos. I use it a lot in my teaching and actually re-wrote our A Level induction course inspired by a number of the exercises. I like that each exercise is referenced to an artist, many are contemporary practitioners, but other past artists tend to be lesser known so are exciting to discover. I have since bought another two copies for friends, as well as purchasing it for both the school and department libraries. Really insightful & worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique And Inspiring, 19 Aug 2011
As a former BA student, I don't think I ever found a book like this in my University's library and I would have been delighted if I had, it's really amazing to find a book that delivers both the reflections of artists and a desire to inspire the practice of others. The enthusiasm and the passion for the subject are palpable and the visual content is beautiful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chock full of ideas, 30 Nov 2012
This book will definitely help with your drawing skills, but you have to stick with it as it can be be a bit daunting (ie amount of text, conceptual ideas for the novice, etc).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Sep 2013
This is a book written by creative visual people for creative visual people. Exploratory, challenging, articulate and engaging. A must buy for artists and teachers alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whats With the Prices?????, 23 Mar 2013
This book is brilliant but it is not worth £450. It is not worth £100. Little over, maybe, doubling the original retail price, due to its now limited availability, personally I can not see how these ridicules prices are warranted.

It is not the book Im slagging off here, not for one second.

It is a beautifully designed book with a really interesting selection of work and interviews from established contempoary artists who utilise the drawing process within their work.

The greatest thing about this book is the freedom it encourages. It aims to show the value, qualities and beauty in every single mark made right from the very beginning of the students creative pursuit. That creativity is at its greatest extent an action and it is something everyone can do no matter what experience, education or age.

I couldn't recommend this book more highly and it is a shame that the exchange of materials which enables ordinary people to access the benefits of this experimental thoroughly contempoary approach to the creative process (or any other form of education) through the guidance of greatly experienced, innovative and motivated teachers/lecturers, such as the authors of this book, is blocked by greedy anonymous people who are chancin' their arm at making easy money.

The ACTUAL value of certain items I come across on the second hand market as opposed to someones inflated value are, at times, in my personal opinion, violently distorted. For £100 Phhhh ..... its ridicules. I recommend looking for the book elsewhere_ or_ as useful and pleasantly designed as the content may be, forget the book, and enrol at a local collage instead.

(Apologies for any dyslexic mistakes)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 30 Nov 2012
Bought this on a friends reccommendation, it has some interesting projects, but what I really like are the interviews with artists- very insightful.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Drawing Projects: An Exploration of the Language of Drawing
Drawing Projects: An Exploration of the Language of Drawing by Jack Southern (Paperback - 20 July 2011)