5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward and concise
Rasul's book echoes his simple no-nonsense approach in the Dragons Den: he isn't bothered about ego or self-importance - he actually seems to get a big kick out of doing business. His advice, which in the book is frequently in special "Shaf Says" boxes, sometimes seems obvious but that is his point: most of business is common sense.

The book is probably best...
Published on 3 May 2010 by G. Richmond

1.0 out of 5 stars Milking the dragon
I was extremely disappointed with this book. Shaf Rasul is I am sure a very astute man, which is probably why he decided to milk his exposure on Dragons' Den online to make a few more quid with this awful book. Well done Shaf you got my money, but not my respect - but then I suspect you are far more interested in the former than the latter.

In the first...
Published on 3 Sep 2010 by Eversley

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward and concise, 3 May 2010
G. Richmond (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secrets of a Serial Entrepreneur: A Business Dragon's Guide to Success (Paperback)

The book is probably best read by those under 25 as the overall message is directed towards modern, youthful entrepreneurs. Those over that age, especially those trying to run a business in these trying times, will still find snippets of info and some of his comments on finance, balance sheets and debt are good reminders to us all that running a business ain't simple and we can all use every bit of help out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secrets of a Serial Entrepreneur: A Business Dragon's Guide to Success (Paperback), 28 April 2010
5* business advice, written with a down to earth approach even though this man is a multi millionaire. If you want to succeed in business you must buy this book written by Shaf Rasul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and practical, 23 April 2010
Brian O'reilly "Brian" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
If your on the path to becoming an Entrepreneur or even thinking about it then this is a must read. I'm on this journey and i've had a hundred books pushed my way. This is the only one that started to resonated instantly. Your led page by page with real examples and insightful tips. I've not finished it yet, but that's because it's not a novel to be read through in a few sittings. This is a book to be digested, reflected upon and then read again when you've progressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars No-nonsense must-have and great specific advice!, 3 Jun 2010
G. Gill "George" (UK) - See all my reviews
I was very impressed by the clear structure and no-nonsense business advice contained within this book. Rather than dwelling on rags-to riches egotism, Shaf Rasul instead concentrates on real-world examples and highly useful specific advice.
It's clear that this book is written by someone with a genuine passion for business and I'm sure other readers will enjoy it as much as I did (I read this cover-to-cover overnight)

1.0 out of 5 stars Milking the dragon, 3 Sep 2010

In the first instance I wonder how much he actually had to do with the writing of the book, I know ghost writing of autobiographies is common, but is it also the case for books purporting to provide an author's unique and personal experience of business? If Shaf did pen this book himself maybe I need to reconsider my view that he is an astute business man, given some of the content, it is frequently extremely basic, not very insightful and at worst wrong. For example, I agree that Revenue - Variable Cost = Contribution, I also agree that Contribution - Fixed Costs = Net Profit but that does not mean you can combine the two equations into a single equation which says Revenue - Variable Cost = Contribution - Fixed Costs = Net Profit.

Secondly, I also had to force myself to read the next page (always thinking 'maybe there is something of value in this book if I just keep going') because I became sick and tired of having to subject myself to the process of Shaf trying to exercise his own personal demon about why he is on Dragons' Den Online and not the mainstream programme. Maybe Shaf feels that his self glorification is a way of motivating future entrepreneurs, but personally hearing that he 'changes his Aston Martin as often as most people buy new shoes' adds nothing to my understanding of what makes an entrepreneur successful. Mind you the second reference to his choice of car was more nauseating, suggesting his readers don't buy an expensive supercar until you are as successful as he is.

Shaf seems only to focus on buying and selling companies for a profit, this seems to be his definition of entrepreneurialism. If that is what you want to learn about, don't buy this book instead buy "Buying and Selling a Business: An Entrepreneur's Guide" by Jo Haigh which is almost infinitely better.

Secrets of a Serial Entrepreneur: A Business Dragon's Guide to Success