5.0 out of 5 stars totally absorbed in the book
Published on 30 Jun 2010 by Gary Howarth

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating
I bought this book based on the positive reviews and the subject matter. Much as I wanted to enjoy the book, I simply didn't. Firstly, the content is full of errors, not in an endearing way as the author suggests early in the book but in a way that reflects poor writing and poor proofreading. The actual story I found to be dull and depressing. It struck me that the...
Published on 23 Aug 2012 by G. Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars totally absorbed in the book, 30 Jun 2010
Gary Howarth (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Man Running: From Alcohol to Atacama (Paperback)
What Billy described in his book about his childhood was hard to take in, he suffered as his mother and brother and sisters did, emotionally his description of life in his world was devastating,it made you feel, there was no way out.. numbing the pain... with alcohol and drugs....trying to destroy himself because that was the only way out... but somewhere in the middle of all this Billy found a way out,, Good God what a book,, his description of his Atacama desert marathon day by day .. you were just with him.. I defy anyone who doesnt feel humbled and touched by this book,, he is an inspiration to us all..

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and captivating read, 14 Mar 2010
This review is from: Dead Man Running: From Alcohol to Atacama (Paperback)
Billy's book is emotional, scary, funny and inspirational, and I just couldn't put it down, it tells of how he struggled to overcome the hardship of his abusive childhood, substance addiction, the extreme Atacama desert run (or as I saw it his race for life), and the change's in his lifestyle brought on by a thoughtful act and his beliefs
The excitement and fun of his new found freedom in his teenage years! For me this was brill!! It brought back so many long forgotten memories of Farnworth...it was like sitting reminiscing with an old friend. Billy's "no surrender" Attitude got him through the atacama marathon...I felt like I was there with him as he described his surroundings and emotions so well.
I came across this book by accident but it's a `MUST' read and I will read it again `Billy'. You're a Lancashire lad done good...well-done!!
Brilliant and captivating

5.0 out of 5 stars harrowing yet insperational book,a brilliant read., 6 April 2011
This review is from: Dead Man Running: From Alcohol to Atacama (Paperback)
i bought this book after trying to get it in the librarys but having no luck,once you start reading it it really is hard to put down,although it makes upseting reading at times and your heart goes out to the children who suffered such neglect and cruelty,and where even basic welfare is lacking,it is a fantastic story of overcoming so many obstacles and reaching what must have been such a gruelling goal.the book also has great northern humour and being from the same neck of the woods enjoyed all the references to places i remember growing up.ultimately a brilliant,sad,but uplifting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Man Running, 28 Feb 2011
This review is from: Dead Man Running: From Alcohol to Atacama (Paperback)
Read Billy's book on the recomendation of my mother, and I'm so glad I did. Uplifting, harrowing, joyful, sad and so full of emotion is was very hard to put down. Being from Farnworth I could relate to some places and enjoyed the tales from Newquay, albeit with tears and sadness for Billy's life. It was an inspiration to follow the Atacama desert run through the book and you felt yourself willing him on to the very end.An amazing book and will look forward to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, Inspiration, Emotion - it's all here!, 19 April 2010
This review is from: Dead Man Running: From Alcohol to Atacama (Paperback)
Billy Isherwood captures your heart with this book. Memories of Farnworth come flooding back (if you are from Farnworth, of course). The parts about his childhood are very emotional, but then his achievements are emotional in a different way and I was moved to tears a couple of times. The ending leaves you wanting more - I can't wait for the next book..............BRING IT ON!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring read, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: Dead Man Running: From Alcohol to Atacama (Paperback)
This is an incredible book, a harrowing and unbelievable read at times, it shows that in the darkest situations there is hope. What I liked about this book is that the author has been totally honest and not tried to glamourise his journey but rather deliver his story in a realistic but gripping way. This book is one of those books that once you start reading it is very difficult to put it down. I can't wait to read the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and uplifting, 17 May 2010
Mr. Ap Entwistle (Manchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Man Running: From Alcohol to Atacama (Paperback)
Wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book, but once I did I was gripped! Awesome read and inspiring! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Both heartbreaking and heartwarming., 19 Jun 2012
Mrs Lorraine Jones (Holyhead, Anglesey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Man Running: From Alcohol to Atacama (Paperback)
I met Billy following the Endurance Life Trail Marathon in Anglesey. He and three others had been invited to speak that evening, inspirational talks on endurance events. He really stood out for me, I was enthralled listening to him speak, a natural storyteller. His achievement in the Atacama Desert Ultra was remarkable but it is the human story that really makes this book such a compelling read. As many have said, once you start it's very hard to put down.
As I promised that night, I bought his book and settled down for what I thought would be a "rags to riches" type story, but it isn't.
I was prepared for the fact that it would not be entirely grammatically correct,he had said as much, indeed, he wanted the book to be his story, written his way and in his dialect. What I wasn't prepared for was the sheer brutality of Billy's upbringing. It was truly horrendous,and no children should ever have to suffer in that way, it really does bring tears to your eyes.
It obviously had a profound effect on him and led to the problems he faced, and still does face to some extent.
The story unfolded, I cried, I laughed, I was ocasionally appalled by his behaviour but touched at times too.He hides nothing. The wonderful Bridget is truly Billy's guardian angel, what an AMAZING lady.The strength and determination borne of the years of cruelty, poverty and conquering addiction are what led to Billy's amazing achievment in the desert.
A must-read if ever I knew one. I look forward to your next book Billy and yes, it would make a fabulous film! Good luck in the future Billy, wishing you and yours every happiness.Stay strong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing write, 24 Feb 2011
This review is from: Dead Man Running: From Alcohol to Atacama (Paperback)
This is the best book i have read in a long time,once you pick it up you cannot put it down.What Billy went through has a kid is heart rendering.This book made me weep and it gave me a good giggle,it does show how strong minded this man is and in my opinion how strong we all can be when the going gets tough.What an inspiration..Loved it,also being a lancashire lass..it was better than aw reet...

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead man running, 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: Dead Man Running: From Alcohol to Atacama (Paperback)
Billy,s book takes his reader,s on a journey through his life, and all his ups and downs. His description of Farnworth during the 50s and 60s, brought back many of my own childhood memories. Despite his unhappy childhood and battle with his Demon,s, Billy managed to run the Atacama marathon, and then write about it in his book. Billy,s book and marathon run is truly a remarkable acheivment and serve as an inspiration to us all.

Dead Man Running: From Alcohol to Atacama
Dead Man Running: From Alcohol to Atacama by Billy Isherwood (Paperback - 18 Jan 2010)
11.03