5.0 out of 5 stars Footprint Brazil book
Published on 24 Mar 2011 by Mr F FARHOUMAND

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so great on closer inspection
I bought this book for a trip to Brazil mainly because it was the most recently published. On first read it seemed very good, lots of useful information for activities, buses etc. However since arriving here and following up on a few things I have found several mistakes in a relatively short section of the book. Planning trips to Paraty, Iguacu and Rio I had a look for...
Published 19 months ago by TBR

5.0 out of 5 stars Footprint Brazil book, 24 Mar 2011
This review is from: Brazil Footprint Handbook (Footprint Travel Guides) (Hardcover)
Brazil Footprint Handbook (Footprint Travel Guides) (Footprint Brazil Handbook)My friend and I took three books with us on our beach and carnival trip to Brazil, Footprint, Lonely Planet and Rough Guide. Lonely Planet is the glossiest and is well designed. But appearances are, as they say skin deep. The book was skin deep too and very uninspiring. Footprint was more honest, more informative, far more knowledgeable about the local culture and whilst it saved us money when we needed it too, the book is less exclusively leaning towards backpackers and gap-year students. Rough Guide was decent enough, falling somewhere between the two, but it lacked the scope and local know-how of the Footprint and it was much more exaggerated about how good places were, when they were often not so good at all.

There is no point in going to Brazil if you aren't prepared for the cultural experience and don't know how to find a good music bar or club where locals go, or decent place to eat when you want a special occasion. No one speaks English. You really need a book in this country. For Rio and Salvador LP and RG had some good cheap restaurants but nothing at all special when we wanted that splurge. Footprint was also much better for Bahia - where it found us a charming little beach place in Arraial d'Ajuda, a capoeira club which wasn't listed anywhere else and an amazing wildlife reserve near Porto Seguro.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must-have for those travelling to Brazil, 5 Jan 2012
I bought this for my holiday in Brazil for two weeks and was not disappointed. This guidebook lays out in detail what there is to see but also provides an honest opinion on whether it is worth seeing those sights. As with all Footprint guides there is in-depth information regarding almost everything you might need to know about the country whilst visiting it. Alongside the sights, the history and cultural sections are good to give you an idea of why regions are the way they are and which areas are good for certain things whilst others for other things.

I found the overall map of Brazil (with a bit of neighbouring countries) useful as a guide to understand where I was in the huge country that is Brazil. However, I never really find the street maps very useful since the zoomed in scale makes it difficult to judge where you are within the city/ area as a whole. I always find it's better to get a city map once there. Also since the size of the book is fairly big (and heavy) it makes sense to have a separate (perhaps foldable) map.

This book was my definitive guide to Brazil and I definitely could not have done without it on my trip. I recommend this to anyone planning to go to Brazil.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brazil Footprint Handbook, 1 Mar 2011
Liz (Brighton) - See all my reviews
As a frequent visitor to Brazil the Footprint Guidebook is definitely my first choice of guide and it's great that it's been updated. This book includes so much extra information you don't get in the more "back-packer" style guides, although it does include all the usual info about "where to stay", "where to eat" and so on. But in addition you get informed and in-depth articles on the history and culture of Brazil from someone who really knows the country, speaks the language and knows about the atmosphere - music, Carnaval and nightlife - as well as the poverty and often tragic history of this vast country. The book itself is pleasant to handle, a practical size with an excellent map section and, what's more, the pages actually stay open where you want them to!
Brazil is a huge, wonderful and magical place and this book should whet your appetite to visit.

4.0 out of 5 stars good guide, 7 Jan 2012
i am from brazil and bought this guide for an english friend who was going there. i had a look through and it seemed like a good one, great for the laid back, culturally aware and environmentally responsible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great travel guide, 9 July 2012
The Brazilian culture seems more and more appealing to me. Recently I have been listening to a lot of Brazilian music, watching some great Brazilian movies and reading about Brazilian customs, food, history, people... Soon (hopefully) I will be able to afford a trip to the largest country on the South American continent. As part of the preparations for it, I bought this book. I was (and is) very helpful. It covers many aspect of the country. I can't wait to go through it again... In Brazil!

5.0 out of 5 stars great guide, 2 Jan 2012
We are using this guide on our travels through Brasil and, so far, in Rio it has been excellent! Wished we had bought it before booking hotels!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brazil in a nutshell, 14 Mar 2011
This Footprint guide is by far the best guide to Brazil for my money. After looking at the other guide books, I bought it up in the airport on my way out to Brazil for my holiday a couple of weeks ago without knowing anything about Footprint. It's comprehensive and detailed and I found it a wonderful companion on my travels. The numerous maps are excellent and the text is easy to understand. My favourite town in Brazil was Paraty. I found the guidebook lifted my holiday from the good to the great as it helped me to select the best from the rest of the tours there and recommended a really great restaurant and small hotel. Rio seemed to be too big and full of life but the Footprint guide allowed me to get to know the city on an intimate level. I stayed both in the old town and in Copacabana. It introduced me to the tour of the favelas and a game at the Maracana stadium. All in all this guidebook allowed me to see something of this most exciting city.

The big country map at the back was really useful and I enjoyed the section on music which gave me a real understanding of this intensely musical culture. I felt like I was in the know and able to sample the music of this brilliant country in a well informed way. Make no mistake, Brazil is a fascinating destination but without a guidebook, a good guidebook you will only skim the surface. This Footprint guide is a real five star buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful., 23 Mar 2013
Went to Brazil for Christmas and New Year. Definitely the best for restaurants and nightlife. Used the recommendations for 3 nights out in Rio and 1 in Sao Paulo. Bahia section good too especially history and sights in Salvador.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have guide for Brazil, 16 Dec 2012
On my last Brazil trip I took both the Lonely Planet guide book and the Footprint Handbook. I have to say that the Footprint made the Lonely Planet look rather superficial. Beyond having all the standard info that the Lonely Planet offers, it contained much more local information, had more maps and was an excellent guide to get a bit off the beaten track in Brazil. Well written with love for detail one can really see that the authors know the country in and out and understand what is of interest to travelers. The detailed map of the whole country at the back of the book was very useful. Also, the book gave extensive advice on how to choose a sustainable tour guide in the Amazon. It had lots of background info on the country's culture, festivals, history, music scene and other topics. Overall, an excellent guide for backpackers as well as holiday makers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed, 14 Oct 2012
For the moment it seems very complete, accurate and detailed. This is my opinion after discussing with brazilian friends. I will visit Brazil early next year, if my opinion change I will update this review.

ARRAY(0xa2b16150)

Brazil Footprint Handbook (Footprint Travel Guides)
Brazil Footprint Handbook (Footprint Travel Guides) by Alex Robinson (Hardcover - 23 Feb 2011)
Used & New from: 0.47