on 7 December 2003
If you're going to take what any review says at face value, make it this one! Rodger's Profanisaurus is without doubt one of the funniest books around. Unlike your average dictionary, you can actually read this one and get lost in it for hours! I highly recommend this book to anyone with a sense of humour, everyone I've shown it to has loved it! You can also customise your copy with your own selection of funny profanities ;-).
A must have!
on 28 May 2000
This is English humour at it's very best. I read it when it was included free with Viz comic, and came across it on amazon.com when looking for books by the Danish philosopher Soren Kierkegaard, dead a hundred years. To see it sandwiched in between "Fear and Trembling", a book about religious faith, and "The Diary of a Seducer", concerning the search for aesthetic beauty, made me laugh out loud. It's genius - read it.
on 19 May 2011
Oh dear god! I've only managed to finish the letter A (Aardvark's Nose to Aztec Two-Step) and I honestly don't think I can go on. I'm crying with laughter, my sides are aching and I can barely breathe. They say that the eskimos have 300 words for snow. Well, I think that it should be a matter of national pride that the english speaking world has around 400 euphemisms for flatulence (Air Biscuit, Push Gas, Knock the Lid Off the Ark). This compendium of filth has nigh on 500 pages of obscene euphemisms and it proves, if anything, that English must be one of the most versatile, ubiquitous languages in the world. At least as far as swearing is concerned.

Some have suggested that this should be placed next the Andrex in toilets across the country. I would go further than that...

"Dropped Pie, Face Like a. Sim: To resemble one who has been bobbing for chips in a deep fat fryer."
This is one of those books which you open not quite knowing what to expect. You can't help but read on when you do!

This profinisaurus is set out in a great way. It is intelligent set out, and the content is childishly fab.

You can pick this book up to kill a few spare moments and put it down for later. I love randomly looking at the terms and explanations given, it never fails to make me titter. Some are familiar terms we know and love, and some are obscure and quite genius. This is toilet humour - but toilet humour a it's best.

This makes a great stocking filler for someone who appreciates a bit of rudeness and comedy.

Anyway - gotta go now, I've got a "Bobby Charlton" I need to sort out.

;o)
on 11 August 2014
If ever the phrase "toilet humour" could be applied to a book, this is it. It's not for everyone; some people will be disgusted and offended by it, but for the rest of us I can't recommend it highly enough.
Open the book at random, start reading and you will be laughing in less than 30 seconds. Guaranteed.
It is very well cross-referenced and the so-called quotes from biographies, historical references and even Barbara Cartland "novels" which are used to put definitions into context are excellent; sometimes even funnier than the definitions themselves.
You won't regret buying this book.
on 19 May 2003
Rarely is there a book that can reduce you to a puddle of laughter, whatever the situation: office, home, on the tube or bus, or on the pot. This book is a must read: never has the English language been so vibrant and funny. A 21st century linguistic masterpiece. Additionally, it's updated each month in Viz.
on 27 December 2000
This is the funniest book I have ready in a long time, if not ever. If you can get through more than half a page without laughing, you need help. I have used expressions from this book at work, and have had people doubled up and crying with laughter. The amateurish presentation simply adds to the charm. Every coffee table should have a copy!
on 8 December 2000
This book will have you laughing uncontrollably. My husband bought it for his dad, and his dad found it so hilarious he could only read two pages at a time then had to have a break lest he split his sides!! A definite book for anybody with a toilet sense of humour (and those that think they don't may be surprised!!)
on 10 September 2001
This has to be the best read in the Sixth Form Humour category. Well not exactly a read, more of a dip into, resulting in a furtive giggle exploding into full on laughter.
I cannot dip into it without stirring a guffaw or two.
Definitely not one to show your great Aunt Bessie though.
Enjoy.
on 11 November 2002
To be kept alongside the Shorter Oxford on my reference shelf. A marvellous (and disturbingly compendious) insight into the underside of the English language, and a book that even as an experienced user of obscenity I found myself boggling at the sheer creativity of some of the entries on occasion.
Don't read it in public. You will be looked at. It WILL cause you to laugh out loud, uproariously.
Filthy, disgusting, horrid, vile, obscene - yes.
Brilliant? Yes.